Bubinga HT3's and HT1 - SOLD

jsalk

Bubinga HT3's and HT1 - SOLD
« on: 28 Nov 2009, 07:54 pm »
An owner recently asked us to help him sell his HT3's along with an HT1 he used as a center channel.

Here are some pictures...

And the HT1 (lacking a little red)...

These speakers were built using special Cardas "Patented" binding posts.  Here is a picture...

Some highlights of this setup include an extensive number of upgrades and options including outboard crossover cabinets.  Here is a cost summary were we to build this set of speakers today:

$5895 custom cabinet HT3           
$1145 custom HT1
$ 400 Sonicap bypass caps
$ 300 Blackhole 5
$ 600 Outboard passive crossover cabinets
$ 800 Gregg Straley custom wire
$ 224 Cardas patented binding posts
$ 600 Solid Bubinga baffle
$ 600 Bubinga veneer
$  90 Baltic Birch upgrade
-----
$10654

The speakers are now in our posession.  Since receiving them, we have refinished the cabinets and replaced the tweeters and midrange drivers in the HT3's - only the woofers and crossovers are original.  (We may also have an existing matching HTC center channel cabinet (at slightly higher cost) if someone were to prefer an HTC to the HT1 in this set.  Since the veneer and hardwood used in the originial speakers is no longer available, we could not match the existing HT1 to create a pair.)

The owner is asking $7350 for this setup.

- Jim

« Last Edit: 1 May 2010, 11:36 am by jsalk »

gkinberg

Re: Bubinga HT3's and HT1
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:24 am »
Jim,

Just out of curiosity, how come you replaced the tweeters and the midranges? Maybe naïve, but I would have assumed that the woofer would be the first driver that would need to be replaced. Just trying to learn.

Thanks, Garth

jsalk

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:46 pm »
Jim,

Just out of curiosity, how come you replaced the tweeters and the midranges? Maybe naïve, but I would have assumed that the woofer would be the first driver that would need to be replaced. Just trying to learn.

Thanks, Garth

Garth -

One of the ribbons was damaged when we got them back so we simply replaced both so they would be matched.  I don't recall why we replaced the midrange drivers, but I suspect it was because we removed them for re-finishing and just decided to put in a new matched pair when re-assembling them.  As for the woofers, it is highly unlikely that they would ever be damaged since they can easily handle 500 watts of continuous power and would never likely be driven to that level in normal use.

- Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:49 pm »
why the cabinet refinish?  Did he get something else or???

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:51 pm »

As for the woofers, it is highly unlikely that they would ever be damaged since they can easily handle 500 watts of continuous power and would never likely be driven to that level in normal use.

- Jim

God knows I tried! :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2009, 03:05 pm »

These speakers were built a few years ago and when the owner asked us to list them for sale, I just felt  that they needed to be re-finished.  We don't normally like shipping speakers with scratches, etc. in the finish even if they are used.

- Jim

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2009, 03:12 pm »

These speakers were built a few years ago and when the owner asked us to list them for sale, I just felt  that they needed to be re-finished.  We don't normally like shipping speakers with scratches, etc. in the finish even if they are used.

- Jim

WOW. :thumb:

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 5 Feb 2010, 03:27 am »
Bump for a buddy   :thumb:

conanb

« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2010, 05:51 pm »
Is the center speaker available by itself?

jsalk

« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2010, 07:45 pm »
Is the center speaker available by itself?

Yes, it could be made available separately.

- Jim