Help treating my listening room

LewinskiH01

Help treating my listening room
« on: 16 Jun 2018, 08:47 pm »
Hello.

New member, although been lurking. I’m looking to treat my room and would welcome input from the experienced.
My listening room is also my living room, so treatments need to be stealth. The room is 16.6’ x 16’ x 8’. Pictures below. It’s a brick apartment building. Front and back walls are brick. Left “wall” is a glass sliding door floor to ceiling wall-to-wall. Right wall is a (white) panel door: I built with ¼” MDF + ¼” heavy acoustic barrier + 2” fiberglass panel + ¼” MDF – they are heavy! This right “wall” opens to another 16.6’ deep area surrounded by brick walls.

System: B&W 804S plus two 12” Rythmik subs in DIY sealed boxes. The system is active. The only source is an optimized computer running HQPlayer, that convolves digital filters built on Acourate: 3-way crossovers, plus room correction. Subwoofers are crossed over at 70Hz, run in summed mono. The woofers in the 804S have the passive xo removed and amps drive woofer directly (70 to 350Hz). The mid-to-tweeter passive xo is still in place and the tube amp drives this combo from 350Hz and up.

I’m interested in treating the room, within WAF constraints. I think I could fully treat the front wall and disguise the treatments. Maybe also diffusors in the front and back walls. Extreme treatment would probably be along the lines of hanging a large trap from the ceiling…NOT WAF-approved (yet)! But in my dreams.

I figured I should start making sure bass was good. I spent significant time playing with the Rythmik PEQ and other controls to get the flattest possible response. The wife wants the subs side by side with the rack…so no getting the drivers close to the wall to mitigate the valley at 42Hz. I believe this is a consequence of the SW drivers being 68cm from the front wall. The red frequency response was taken with subs summed in mono, no treatments, from 18 to 100Hz, no DSP applied.

I was expecting the sliding glass wall would be basically transparent to bass waves and the decay would be rather fast…but was wrong. See the red waterfall. I’m thinking it’s not pretty. Am I right to believe I’m targeting a waterfall that decays to about 50dB in about 300ms?

I had 3 panels I built before which I tried: removed the SW from the front wall 7in and placed a 2” fiberglass panel behind each SW, separated another 2” from the wall. Plus a large 4” thick fiberglass panel, from floor to ceiling, 2’ wide placed across the front left corner. Hoping decay would improve. You can see the frequency response and waterfall chart in blue. Decay improved, but not much I think.

How do you think I should treat low frequencies? Slat absorbers on the front wall? Perforated panels attached to the wall? I’ve come across perforated drywall with 15 to 18% perforated area that could be used to disguise a bass trap behind. I guess the 45 and 35Hz resonances could be treated with Helmholtz resonators.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Help treating my listening room
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2018, 10:46 am »
Welcome! 

Nice looking but horribly shaped room for acoustics.  But brick walls appear to be covered by drywall, so brick is of little consequence.  But the glass wall, coffee table, and wife are.  Suggest acoustically 'heavier' window treatments, losing the coffee table, and moving the subs to the back of the room before contacting GIK for advice. 

fex02

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2018, 11:32 am »
Give Allen Rumbaugh (srl acoustics) a call.615 469 0279. He was /is a recording engineer.Made my room a world class listening palace !
Very smart and will help with advise and possible treatment !

LewinskiH01

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:32 am »
Welcome! 

Nice looking but horribly shaped room for acoustics.  But brick walls appear to be covered by drywall, so brick is of little consequence.  But the glass wall, coffee table, and wife are.  Suggest acoustically 'heavier' window treatments, losing the coffee table, and moving the subs to the back of the room before contacting GIK for advice.

Thanks for chiming in!
No drywall in the room. Green walls are brick. Coffee table get moved out of reflection points when listening.
What would be the purpose of moving the subs to the back of the room?

LewinskiH01

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2018, 12:33 am »
Give Allen Rumbaugh (srl acoustics) a call.615 469 0279. He was /is a recording engineer.Made my room a world class listening palace !
Very smart and will help with advise and possible treatment !

Thanks for the tip.