Narrower OB H Frame for SW-12-FR ?

jjnvdm

Narrower OB H Frame for SW-12-FR ?
« on: 2 Jul 2018, 11:29 pm »
Has any body considered taking the OB H frame for the SW-12-FR, but turning the center baffle on which the subwoofers are mounted by 45 degrees sideways (e.g. left side of baffle moved to the front of the frame and right side to the back), thereby narrowing the front width of the frame? It is kind of like a vertical version of the W frame, but closer to a Z frame. i'm wondering by how much we can narrow the front width of the frame by doing this and whether it will have any effect on the sonics of the frame relative to the very rectangular and rather wide H frame.

jparkhur

Re: Narrower OB H Frame for SW-12-FR ?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2018, 01:51 am »
I don’t have any v2 s in house which use the 45 degree angled set up. But those drivers are much less deep. I would almost bet without it in hand that you couldn’t get the servo in the angle do to depth of driver.  I could be wrong and I am often according to my spouse but.... reducing to the diagonal would be 7-8 across five and trying to slide driver in would be unlikely

Captainhemo

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jul 2018, 03:49 pm »
That'd be my concern as well. The  SW12 xxFR's are  6.5" deep (7 1/8 to top of flange) so not sure how much you'd gain. Plus.  You'd have to make  the walls deeper (the outer  driver diameter is  over  12")  which in turn could limit how high they will  play and in some cases, that may be an issue. 
Installing the  srews  would  be fun    :)

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jul 2018, 05:06 pm »
You can do that with the lower woofers used in the V-2.

But the motor structure on the Servo subs is much larger and wouldn't allow more than a few degrees of tilt.

jjnvdm

« Reply #4 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:13 pm »
I may be wrong (and my wife also tells me often I am wrong :|),  but if I look at the schematic for the W frame for the SW-12-XXFR drivers it seems like it might be possible.

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/obsub.pdf

If you take the side view of the W frame, then cut it in half horizontally where the two baffles join, then one of the halves (top or bottom) becomes the top view of a Z frame. Based on that diagram it looks like the width of the H frame can be reduced by at least 2 inches using this layout. Now, 2 inches may not sound like much but that amounts to a 12.5% reduction of the width of an H frame which makes a significant visual difference. Also, the depth of the Z frame remains the same as that of the H frame - it all fits in nicely.

jparkhur

« Reply #5 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:23 pm »
Ok. Looking at your link, divide the length in half and you still at least 11 inches strong on the baffle.  And you have to look at the magnet overlap on the on driver too.  We all agree a smaller baffle works better but I’m not sure it will fit.  When I put in the v2 drivers they were even tight.     I don’t have a servo woofer in hand or I would build you a bottom to prove either way.

jparkhur

« Reply #6 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:23 pm »
You could always go three 8 s at an angle. 

jjnvdm

« Reply #7 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:36 pm »
Thanks rjparkhur. Unfortunately I also don't have a SW-12-XXFR driver handy to test whether this configuration can work. Maybe there are some members out there that can - hint, hint  :)

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:37 pm »
The drawings of the woofers aren't to scale in the .pdf file for the W frame design.

I tried this same idea a long time ago. Here is what it looks like. And yes and took pictures of them and saved them.  :lol:  The picture was taken in Feb. of 2001.

They won't get to a 45 degree tilt by any means. The motor structure is too large. They might can be laid over 30 degrees at the most. And then keep in mind that you need a little space to get mounting screws in there.

In the end you might be able to squeeze an inch out of the baffle width.

jjnvdm

« Reply #9 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:40 pm »
Thanks Danny. I believe that settles the matter. The small reduction in width does not justify all the additional effort and mounting complexities.

Captainhemo

« Reply #10 on: 3 Jul 2018, 07:53 pm »
Pics  do  justice   :)

emailtim

« Reply #11 on: 4 Jul 2018, 12:19 am »
Deleted