Essenza

steve1580

Essenza
« on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:41 pm »
Figured it was time to post the progress on my Essenza project.  I consulted with Rick about modifying his cabinet design to a curved cabinet.  Rick is great to work with (and very patient).  Will keep updating as time and progress allows.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: Essenza
« Reply #1 on: 28 Aug 2018, 06:57 pm »
Oh that looks niiiicccee.

HT cOz

« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2018, 12:41 am »
Following with a lot of interest!!!

Nick77

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2018, 04:09 pm »
Wow! Those look awesome! And nice shop!    :thumb:

steve1580

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2018, 07:27 pm »
Both ready for sides. Joints were assembled using a Festool Domino (mortise and tenon), glued and then covered with West Systems epoxy.

steve1580

« Reply #5 on: 2 Sep 2018, 04:52 pm »

The sides begin, if you want a quick speaker cabinet, this is not the way to go.  Gluing repetitive sheets of 3 mill (1/8") Baltic birch ply.

Set up a caul/clamp system, clamp each piece overnight to help retain shape, glue, remove clamp system after 24 hours, start again x 24. 

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 2 Sep 2018, 05:27 pm »
 :popcorn:

:thumb:

steve1580

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:43 pm »
One 1/8" layer on each side (only 5 more layers to go).

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2018, 05:49 pm »
 :D very nice.  You know wood.  Good Work indeed.   :D

Nick77

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2018, 06:09 pm »
Very nice work indeed!! Those are going to look top notch!  :thumb:

steve1580

« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2018, 06:14 pm »

Side layers are now complete, now time for final sanding and veneer selection.

vanderstephen

« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2018, 01:14 am »
Hi,
What method do you plan to use for applying the veneer? I've enjoyed seeing your build thread. I'm building a Ceramica center channel now to go with my Ottavo's. I just ordered some walnut raw wood veneer and it will be my first time to work with that other than a small test sample this past weekend. I don't have the same skills as you, so no build thread for mine. Yours is most impressive!

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2018, 04:58 am »
Outstanding!!

HT cOz

« Reply #13 on: 18 Sep 2018, 09:44 am »
Looking great!  :thumb:

steve1580

« Reply #14 on: 18 Sep 2018, 11:32 am »
Hi,
What method do you plan to use for applying the veneer? I've enjoyed seeing your build thread. I'm building a Ceramica center channel now to go with my Ottavo's. I just ordered some walnut raw wood veneer and it will be my first time to work with that other than a small test sample this past weekend. I don't have the same skills as you, so no build thread for mine. Yours is most impressive!

I am not completely certain on veneer yet, most likely I will use a paper back veneer and use contact cement.  I use a heavy carpet tucking tool, kitchen rollers, etc to make sure all areas have good contact with no air pockets. If you have any questions, I can try and answer.

Sparks

« Reply #15 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:04 am »
Steve, outstanding wood working prowess.

The Festool Domino joiner shows you're serious about this & the cabinet proves it.
I'm looking at a Lamello Classic X which is 1/2 the price of the Festool

For whatever reason I love the curved cabinet design and understand the investment in tools, work, patience & time involved.

From the pics it looks like you're using epoxy instead of wood glue.
Certainly a positive solution but far more involved.
Does it have a longer open time?

steve1580

« Reply #16 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:33 am »
Steve, outstanding wood working prowess.

The Festool Domino joiner shows you're serious about this & the cabinet proves it.
I'm looking at a Lamello Classic X which is 1/2 the price of the Festool

For whatever reason I love the curved cabinet design and understand the investment in tools, work, patience & time involved.

From the pics it looks like you're using epoxy instead of wood glue.
Certainly a positive solution but far more involved.
Does it have a longer open time?

I used Titebond 3 for all joints and between ply layers.  Since I cut all the original curved tops, bottoms and bracing on the bandsaw (and my bandsaw skills could be better) I went around all joints with West Systems epoxy to make sure there were no hidden gaps.  West Systems epoxy is great stuff for finishing and adding additional bonding, but I almost always use pva glue.

The Domino is a great tool, but certainly Festool is mighty proud of their prices.  I believe the time period on their patent runs out sometime in the future and other manufacturers will be making similar machines.  Thanks for the compliment!

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:14 pm »
Great job!

steve1580

« Reply #18 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:51 pm »

steve1580

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2018, 12:21 pm »
I've finished the rough cabinets (minus veneer and lacquer) and brought them in from the shop and temporarily mounted the drivers.  All I can offer is that they sound better than I had hoped.  The tweeter is very, very good as well as the Satori mid and woofers.  Speakers are very musical without adding any unwanted and unnatural coloring.  Hope that makes sense, in other words, they sound very, very good!