NuPrime Amp Comparison

gervit

Re: NuPrime Amp Comparison
« Reply #100 on: 6 May 2020, 11:47 pm »
Power = Current X Voltage
The misconception is that speakers such as Apogee needs a lot of power, what it needs is high current type of power.  AMG is designed to output a lot of current, so it has no problem driving Apogee.  That means, at the same power, AMG has more current whereas ST-10 has more voltage.
Some people choose to buy amp with ridiculous power (that includes Nuprime MCX series) but keep in mind that amps that are designed for such high power > 300W give up some refinement and details. Higher power = higher noise in entire circuit and parts.  That's why most Nuprime amps don't go over kill with power.

You should have the same type of amps if you are going with bi-amping (perhaps one stereo amp plus two mono amps). I think ST-10/10M or AMG will fit your need but since they sounded different, I suggest that you contact Jye at support@nuprimeaudio.com with your music preference.  He is our product manager and golden ear.  Support is a shared email so you need to address your email to Jye.

Thanks Rusty, I will write to Jye.
I’ve been thinking in 2 new AMG to biamp, but they couldn’t set to mono because is too high gain in order to pair with another amp to stereo in future. Why AMG on mono way has 52db?

zeugfr

« Reply #101 on: 24 Jun 2020, 07:25 am »
Power = Current X Voltage
The misconception is that speakers such as Apogee needs a lot of power, what it needs is high current type of power.  AMG is designed to output a lot of current, so it has no problem driving Apogee.  That means, at the same power, AMG has more current whereas ST-10 has more voltage.
Some people choose to buy amp with ridiculous power (that includes Nuprime MCX series) but keep in mind that amps that are designed for such high power > 300W give up some refinement and details. Higher power = higher noise in entire circuit and parts.  That's why most Nuprime amps don't go over kill with power.
Hi ! I am considering MCX-2 for my new Focal Aria 948 because they are known to be current hungry (up to 350w recommended: 2 x 21cm[8,27inches] woofers) and I like to listen to concerts, rock, ...
As I am not searching for very warm power amp, I heared that it would sound best for my needs (very dynamic, solid bass, ...).
I know I could loose a bit detail (as you said MCX are not as audiophile as ST-10, AMG STA or Evo One) but that seems to be the best compromise !
Does that make sense ?
Sorry I can't find somewhere near me to listen to a setup close enough from my config !

patmania

« Reply #102 on: 8 Jun 2021, 06:47 am »
Hi,
I'd be curious to see this topic's table be updated with the Omnia A300.
Thanks in advance!

rustydoglim

« Reply #103 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:03 am »
I will provide a comment for A300 in the comparison but I think it is difficult to rank A300 in the table because it is an all-in-one device. Most people who have heard A300 and IDA-16 would comment that they sounded very similar.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #104 on: 9 Jun 2021, 02:34 am »
Patmania,

I have both the IDA-16 and an A-300. I used to own an IDA-8, but I gave it to my son as a housewarming present.  :( I really enjoyed that amp.

In my home using my ears, I do not think the A-300 sounds similar to the IDA-16. The A-300 is a bit warmer sounding, which I like. I haven't heard the IDA-8 in 1.5 years, so take my next comment knowing my aural memory isn't exceptional. I think the IDA-8 is warmer sounding than the A-300, but the A-300 sounds better while driving big speakers. The IDA-8 sounded a bit thin when I used it to drive large multi-driver speakers. The Bluetooth feature and Nuprime APP make the A-300 very convenient to use.

Just my two bits. Your mileage may vary.

Michael

patmania

« Reply #105 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:08 pm »
Thank you both,
Although i was not able to listen to a A300 myself in the store i went to, i ended up with a DAC-9 + STA-9 + WR-1. Although the all-in-one approauch is very appealing, i also like to have the option to swap devices in or our of my setup. That's what i missed in my previous setup (a Powernode).

rustydoglim

« Reply #106 on: 16 Jun 2021, 05:42 pm »
@mresseguie (Michael),
Thanks, perhaps I should say A300 sounded closer to IDA-16 than IDA-8.  Do you agree?
Something like this  :lol:
Neutral ------------------------------------- Warmer
IDA-16          A300                                 IDA-8

mresseguie

« Reply #107 on: 16 Jun 2021, 06:34 pm »
@mresseguie (Michael),
Thanks, perhaps I should say A300 sounded closer to IDA-16 than IDA-8.  Do you agree?
Something like this  :lol:
Neutral ------------------------------------- Warmer
IDA-16          A300                                 IDA-8

Hello, Jason.

Sure. This representation works for me.

P.S. I'm still eagerly awaiting your new IDA-32 (A-600?? or whatever it will be called), but the A-300 is a pretty good start.  :thumb:

Michael

rustydoglim

« Reply #108 on: 16 Jun 2021, 08:04 pm »
You guessed right, we are considering an improved version of the A300 amp for IDA-32.

mresseguie

« Reply #109 on: 16 Jun 2021, 09:36 pm »
You guessed right, we are considering an improved version of the A300 amp for IDA-32.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Need any lab rats?  :D

Genez

« Reply #110 on: 16 Jun 2021, 09:57 pm »
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Need any lab rats?  :D

Not with greasy butter fingers! 

mresseguie

« Reply #111 on: 16 Jun 2021, 11:10 pm »
Not with greasy butter fingers!

:lol:

No worries. I only use greaseless butter.