Anyone ever use a Juicy Music preamp?

Big Red Machine

Anyone ever use a Juicy Music preamp?
« on: 12 Aug 2009, 09:01 pm »
Trying to stay down in used equipment costs and wondering if anyone has used one of these.  I'd like to stay with a tubed pre with remote volume at $1k or less.

toobluvr

Re: Anyone ever use a Juicy Music preamp?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2009, 10:14 pm »
Trying to stay down in used equipment costs and wondering if anyone has used one of these.  I'd like to stay with a tubed pre with remote volume at $1k or less.

There are several JuicyMusic owners on this board and on AG.  Search both places for tons of comments, including mine.  Almost all very favorable.

I own the Blueberry Xtreme (with MM and MC) for several years now and find it very satisfying.  I consider it one of the best values in audio. 

Peach is line stage only.  Don't know that you will find Version 2 (which has the remote, V1 does not)  for under $1k, though.  Recently I have seen a few appear used and they seem to get snatched up pretty quickly at around $1100 to $1200.   If you can get one for under $1k I think it is a screaming deal not only for the sonics, but for all the features, functionality and flexibility it offers.

The company just recently packed it in.  No more new product but Mark Dineen has promised to continue supporting all existing pieces.  My sense is that JM preamps have achieved somewhat of a cult status:  used prices have not plunged and they still seem to be in high demand......perhaps even moreso now than when the company was open for business.

You can certainly do a lot worse.  Excellent piece of kit!   :thumb:

Nels Ferre

« Reply #2 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:02 am »
I have a Peach linestage and absolutely love it.

There are a couple if different versions of the Juicy Music preamplifiers. What you have specified is a Peach II. This is a line stage with remote volume. There is a used nice one on offered on A'gon right now at $1250, a very fair price.

At your price, keep checking Audiogon. You may find an older Peach, not a Peach II, or possibly a Blueberry Extreme (built in MM phono.) I think the Blueberry with Cream (MC transformers added) will be a bit out of the range as well. None of these are remote.

The original models also had 2 different tube layouts, with and without the 6H30 "supertube." In my opinion, you want the 6H30 upgrade. Earlier models can be modified to accept the 6H30. As previously posted, Mark Deneen is still around and can do this for you. Then, as funds allow, change the tube that Mark supplies with a NOS (New Old Stock) 6H30DR (Russian Military Spec.) This is what I have - a modified original model with the upgraded tube.

And no, it's not for sale.

toobluvr

« Reply #3 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:32 pm »

Hi Nels,

It sounds like you had your Version 1 (with 6922 tube) modified to Version 2 status (with 6H30 tube).   Are you able to comment on the sonic differences?

My Blueberry Xtreme with Cream option is Version 1, and I was wondering if sending it to Mark for the 6H30 circuit retrofit is worth the trouble and expense.  I have come across some owner comments that say they prefer the original Version 1....provided the "correct" NOS 6DJ8/6922/7308 tube is used.

Thanks!
John

Nels Ferre

« Reply #4 on: 13 Aug 2009, 01:50 pm »
John,

You are correct, my Series I was modified to Series II by Mark before I got it.  Still no remote. I can't tell you the differences the mod makes. I can tell you the change from the stock EH 6H30 to the DR ($100) changed the Peach from very good to stunning.

Nels

Big Red Machine

« Reply #5 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:38 pm »
Is there any way to get more than one set of outputs active so a sub can be driven as well?

Nels Ferre

« Reply #6 on: 13 Aug 2009, 05:48 pm »
Mark Deneen added an extra pair of outputs to mine. I think he charges $25 parts and labor.