Outlaw Partial Open Baffle

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: Outlaw Partial Open Baffle
« Reply #60 on: 9 Aug 2014, 08:10 pm »
Good point, but you could go on and ask why doesn't Omega do a better job of marketing (shows, tours, reviews, interviews, postings here, even retail).  My guess is that the answer is Omega is a one man show, Louis wants to keep it that way, and he's already at his production limits.  I support his efforts to offer good value in the single driver format, but this kind of success could be a dead-end.
It wouldn't matter what we did as far as marketing, it wouldn't be good enough I guess.  Four new websites in two years is a very serious effort at marketing IMO.  Some surfing of the net to see how many audio websites that haven't been updated in years would be good idea, and for all we know they may be doing well. 

Wrong guess - Omega is not a one man show and Louis is not (contrary to imperious wisdom) at his production limits.  I have been selling Omega for years and have had NO supply issues whatsoever.  Omega is THE most reliable supplier I have ever dealt with, period.

Funny way of supporting Louis' efforts. Ever bought anything from him?   

Dead end?  What a statement!  None of us know the future, but for all any of us may know, many "big guns" could be gone before Omega.  Where is Sansui, Akai, Infinity, Empire, Celestian, Micro Seiki, etc., etc?  Look at many of the big British names - sold to the Chinese.

Time to treat the audio hobby like your favourite cold drink.  Chill and enjoy.

My 2.2 cents worth (Canadian funds)

Louis O

« Reply #61 on: 9 Aug 2014, 10:31 pm »
Hi Kirch,

I know and it's about the music and getting enjoyment from it.

Many thanks for your post and your order of the Open Backs. They are looking great and will be ready to go this week coming up. Great to hear about all the amps you'll be trying out and can't wait to hear about the combo's.

I've gone through a lot of stuff and mostly amps. I have had so many.

Thanks again,
Louis

Louis O

« Reply #62 on: 9 Aug 2014, 10:33 pm »
Hi Canada Rob,

Thanks for all your hard work and kind words appreciate it. Can't wait for the new Hoyt website.

Thanks again,
Louis

happyrabbit

« Reply #63 on: 11 Aug 2014, 06:02 pm »
Kirch -   :thumb:   

I moved to a solid state amp and removed the plasma.    I actually prefer the SS amp.   I almost sold this amp last year....ooops  :nono:   the Plasma was messing with the sound. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=101800.0

Dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 11 Aug 2014, 09:57 pm »
Very interesting, what would you say are the differences in sound between your SS and your 2A3?  I am playing with a very inexpensive class A/B chip amp with a pair of Super 3is and find it sounds really good.  I love my SET sound, but SS can bring some great things to the table too.

happyrabbit

« Reply #65 on: 12 Aug 2014, 05:37 pm »
Canada Bob !

I found the Magnus to be a bit more lively, more punch down lower and the sound stage not soo recessed.  Plus I am not burning up $1200 worth of tubes.  The 2a3 is richer and has a bit more sweetness.   I will need a tube preamp if I continue to use my SS amp more.   The Bent TAP-X is a bit much with the Magnus.   I looking forward to using my DIY TAS5611 with these speakers.    :green:

Good News !   I found my stand spikes while looking for a CD.    I was using a couple isolation pads as a substitute...   hmmm.  I should know better.   :nono:

dwight

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #66 on: 12 Aug 2014, 06:14 pm »
Thanks for the update Dwight.  Do you have pads to protect the floor?  Electrical box punchouts, cleaned up and with a tiny dimple in the middle would be very effective.  Your system looks even cooler with the TV gone.  The maple speakers and the cherry sub don't clash, and they contrast and fit well with the other woodwork.  The Skylan stands work really well with the speakers too.

Rubbbq

« Reply #67 on: 12 Aug 2014, 06:14 pm »
Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids.... how do they sound?

I also like my 1.5's better with a SS amp.Not as full sounding as the tube amp but better bass and smother highs

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #68 on: 12 Aug 2014, 06:42 pm »
I should post this as its own thread because it deserves it, but everyone should try the isoacoustics isol8r speaker stands.

I'm using three of the sub stands linked below because they were the right size and height. They are 5" tall, which ended up working for me really well. The improvement over spikes (with or w\o pads) is pretty amazing. You'll get more clarity and detail, the difference is not subtle!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R200Sub

happyrabbit

« Reply #69 on: 14 Aug 2014, 03:23 pm »
Dave113 - Very Interesting Stands.

Size Comparison -   1.5 OB vs 3XRS

Dwight

Flyin_V

« Reply #70 on: 14 Aug 2014, 06:21 pm »
Dave, good looking speakers.

I am seriously considering one of Louis' design...really like the Outlaw OB.

I have to agree about the isoacoustics isol8r stands. I'm using them and the improvement goes from the bottom end to top. They are cheap and really do work. A difference can be heard even on their youtube demo.

Lary
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2014, 12:03 am by Flyin_V »

Louis O

« Reply #71 on: 15 Aug 2014, 11:23 pm »
Hi Flyin_V,

Many thanks and I appreciate it a lot.

These new stands look fantastic and they are modular too. I will check them out too.

Thanks,
Louis

happyrabbit

« Reply #72 on: 19 Aug 2014, 09:55 pm »
Over the last couple years I have discovered that ' less is more '.  I will be adding dipole speakers to my list :

1) NOS DAC's
2) SET AMPS
3) TVC PREAMPS
4) SINGLE DRIVER SPEAKERS
*5) Dipole Speakers

I have listened to both the 3 XRS and the 1.5 OB.   I absolutely LOVE the 3 XRS and have no reservations recommending it.  That being stated, I observed the following listening to the 1.5 OB :

1>   The Sound Stage is Wider and Deeper.  1.5 OB literally disappear.
2>   Uncolored.   A more life like portrayal.   
3>   More dynamic and capable of serious SPL. I luv turning these speakers up !   
4>   Resolving.  You will hear the Mixing / Mastering as intended... this is Wonderful and sometimes not soo Wonderful.
5>   SS or SET.  Take your Pick. 
6>   Enjoyable off axis listening.     Perfect for 2.1 Home Theater.     

I feel the 1.5 OB have a few requirements that need to be meet :

1) At least 5 feet from the back wall
2) At least 3 feet from the side wall
3) At least 7 feet apart and sitting at least 7' - 8' feet away.
4) Based on #1 & #2 & #3 - 13' x 19' room or larger
5) Given the Room requirement stated in #4 - a SUBWOOFER is a must. 
6)  The Flat Panel needs to be mounted on the Wall.  I got the impression that my plasma was resonating / reflecting and adding to the Sound Stage when placed coplanar (or near coplannar)  with the 1.5's.

Dwight

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #73 on: 19 Aug 2014, 10:25 pm »
Perfect timing with this info Dwight, thanks!  Just had my 1.5 OB's delivered today and was asking Rob about placement.  Always had traditional speakers to this point.  Looking forward to breaking these in - and honestly, I'm already hearing some improvement after about 5 hours. 

Right now they're around 4-5 feet from the back wall and 4' from the sides of a 14 x 26' room w 10' ceilings.  I have them toed in just a smidge.  Here's a pic before I pushed them together further and further out from the back wall.

Once these are broken in I'll start posting some impressions.  Thanks!

happyrabbit

« Reply #74 on: 20 Aug 2014, 12:23 am »
Kirch,

Looking forward to your review  :thumb:

its roughly 100 hours to break-in the RS-5 driver...  95 hours to go  :green:

is that an omega sub ??

Dwight

kirch

« Reply #75 on: 20 Aug 2014, 12:32 am »
Hey Dwight - no it's just some sub I had laying around, a Mirage. I have a matching cherry sub on the way tho. Lou had the nerve to take a vacation while working on it.

I should have 100 hours on them about a week or less.  I can run this stuff pretty all day as I work from home. Right now the Yo Yo Ma is sounding quite nice. It's a different presentation than what I'm accustomed to, but as I duck in and outta the room either I'm getting used to it or it's smoothing out.

Happy to keep everyone posted.

Guy 13

« Reply #76 on: 20 Aug 2014, 02:00 am »
Hi All many thanks for your posts.

Sorry for the late post here, but many thanks to Happy Rabbit for posting the new Open Back. They sure look great in your room and the pictures are excellent.

Looking to expand this open back line as well.

Many thanks for everyone's support and Guy 13's last 3 posts are way to absurd to comment on.

Thanks again,
Louis

Hi Louis.
Thanks for the compliment.
By the way, it's " way too absurd " not way to absurd.
If you ant to insult me, do it properly. :lol:
In my past 5 years with AC you are the first and only one that did not liked my " absurd " jokes,
maybe it a question of culture ?
Now, that being said, you can now send to the Intergalactic waste bin my post,
if that makes you happy.

Guy 13
Humm mmm... After writing this, I feel relieved.

happyrabbit

« Reply #77 on: 21 Aug 2014, 02:17 am »
Kirch,

I agree that these speakers have a different presentation.   I don't have much exp with dipoles.   

breaking your speakers in with YO YO MA.  HA !   See Below for my break-in music  :green:

kirch

« Reply #78 on: 21 Aug 2014, 12:24 pm »
Re YoYo, yeah, I wanted to hear how the speakers presented solo cello.  Quite nicely btw.  One of my favorite break-in tunes? The 60Hz tone.  (I generated an hour long loop.)   Gets a little boring after the first 40 minutes or so . . .

Have Charlie Haden and Pat Metheny Beyond the Missouri Sky playing now.  Very realistic, even without the sub.  (better with though)

Did a lot of listening yesterday, even took notes.  I'll post those after a few days.  So far so good!

beowulf

« Reply #79 on: 21 Aug 2014, 08:25 pm »
I should post this as its own thread because it deserves it, but everyone should try the isoacoustics isol8r speaker stands.

I'm using three of the sub stands linked below because they were the right size and height. They are 5" tall, which ended up working for me really well. The improvement over spikes (with or w\o pads) is pretty amazing. You'll get more clarity and detail, the difference is not subtle!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ISOL8R200Sub

Dave, what spikes are you using? (as those don't look to be the regular ones that are on my speakers and/or from Louis' site.)

I've been looking at ones from Sound Star that look very interesting and are reasonably priced using their Live Vibe Technology.