FINALLY..Found a true reference set of speakers for two channel (ATC)

targa02

Hi Sam,

Perhaps to answer your question about whether to go with the 50 or 100s more directly:  It depends on the size of your room imho.  My room is 25'L x 16'W x 19'H.  The 50's were plenty large in my opinion.

jackman

I'm glad you are enjoying your new speakers.  ATC is a brand that does not get a lot of coverage around here, but they appear to make some impressive, and expensive, speakers.  I have always associated the brand with their active speakers and have never heard their passive designs. 

Lastly, I'm not sure if there is any "magic" in their drivers.  Also, I'm not sure about your conclusions regarding their proprietary driver technology.  These speakers may sound better than your previous model, but there is more to good sound than drivers.  My current speakers use Seas Excel drivers and they are very transparent and dynamic.  They also play as loud as I could possibly want them to play.  There is more to great sound than high quality drivers.  The cabinet, the overall design/xover, and general implimentation play a critical role in the end results.   I've owned and auditioned several speakers that used modest drivers (like the ones from GR Research) that sounded very good.  I've also heard speakers that used some high $$$ drivers and exotic cabinets, and xover components that sounded pretty  bad. 

ATC appears to be a company that makes some very good sounding speakers.  Much of the "technology" described in their marketing materials seems like standard fluff. 

Thanks,

Jack

Freo-1

I'm glad you are enjoying your new speakers.  ATC is a brand that does not get a lot of coverage around here, but they appear to make some impressive, and expensive, speakers.  I have always associated the brand with their active speakers and have never heard their passive designs. 

Lastly, I'm not sure if there is any "magic" in their drivers.  Also, I'm not sure about your conclusions regarding their proprietary driver technology.  These speakers may sound better than your previous model, but there is more to good sound than drivers.  My current speakers use Seas Excel drivers and they are very transparent and dynamic.  They also play as loud as I could possibly want them to play.  There is more to great sound than high quality drivers.  The cabinet, the overall design/xover, and general implimentation play a critical role in the end results.   I've owned and auditioned several speakers that used modest drivers (like the ones from GR Research) that sounded very good.  I've also heard speakers that used some high $$$ drivers and exotic cabinets, and xover components that sounded pretty  bad. 

ATC appears to be a company that makes some very good sounding speakers.  Much of the "technology" described in their marketing materials seems like standard fluff. 

Thanks,

Jack

Cheers, mate!   Copy that.

I also have speakers with SEAS Excel drivers from Cary Audio and Tyler Acoustics.  They are great speakers, with excellent design and good attention to details.  Very satisfying.

Having said that, I can state with certainty that the ATC speakers are at another performance level, period.  The super linear driver is as good as they say it is.  I think it's superior performance as a lot to do with the qualities Danny Ritchie adroitly pointed out earlier in this thread.   The ability to control the driver with so little overhang must be heard to be fully appreciated.   Before I heard them, I would not have thought it possible that the speaker could make THAT MUCH of a difference (but it does).  Again, you actually have to hear them to really get a handle on them.   These speakers will expose the electronics in front of them for what they are, no all amps sound the same with these puppies.   The higher quality the amp, the better the sound.

Another thing: They are an easy load to drive,  but do need some wattage to get them to sound their best.   

Lastly, my friends and family enjoy music, but are not audiophiles.  :lol:   After getting the ATC speakers,  several folks remarked on just how good the music sounded.  That says a lot.

jackman

Freo,

I'm very happy the new speakers are enhancing your enjoyment of music.  In the end, that's all that matters! 

Please keep us posted on the progress of your system.  I enjoy your posts and wish you all the best.   Also, I'd love to hear those speakers sometime.  Sent you a PM but I don't think you live around here.   :thumb:

Cheers,

Jack

Freo-1

Thanks, Jack!   :thumb:
These speakers will have one re-thinking a lot about what one thought they knew about sound reproduction.  I've been reading with some amusement in the threads here some back and forth about how amp "X" either does or does not improve the playback experience (and taking offense if you do not agree  :o ).

What has become apparent since obtaining these speakers is this:  Assuming the amps are all able to sufficiently drive the speakers under test, these speakers have a HUGE difference in playback improvement in comparison to the amp.  It's difficult to quantify just how much of a difference one actually hears once you hear a set of speakers like these.  The ability to accurately portray the spectral decay is without equal. 

I've tried a number of amps on them, and here is the kicker:   ALL the amps sounded quite a bit better with these speakers than they did with any other speakers I have auditioned.  The difference made by the speakers is orders of magnitude larger than swapping amps around with most other speakers I've owned or auditioned. 

From doing some research, it seems that the hard core DIY speaker builders have been using the Super Linear drivers for years.  Now, I know why.  8)

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
These speakers will have one re-thinking a lot about what one thought they knew about sound reproduction.  I've been reading with some amusement in the threads here some back and forth about how amp "X" either does or does not improve the playback experience (and taking offense if you do not agree  :o ).

What has become apparent since obtaining these speakers is this:  Assuming the amps are all able to sufficiently drive the speakers under test, these speakers have a HUGE difference in playback improvement in comparison to the amp.  It's difficult to quantify just how much of a difference one actually hears once you hear a set of speakers like these.  The ability to accurately portray the spectral decay is without equal. 

I've tried a number of amps on them, and here is the kicker:   ALL the amps sounded quite a bit better with these speakers than they did with any other speakers I have auditioned.  The difference made by the speakers is orders of magnitude larger than swapping amps around with most other speakers I've owned or auditioned. 

From doing some research, it seems that the hard core DIY speaker builders have been using the Super Linear drivers for years.  Now, I know why.  8)

That's why I'm a self-professed 'speaker guy'.  AVi (another 3 letter British maker of active speakers) agrees to the point of saying even their built-in DAC isn't much of a factor after going active with the right drivers.

AKLegal

Freo which ATC speakers have you heard?   

I have always been a 'speaker guy' too after my experience with high end headphone rigs.  Nothing changes the sound more than swapping the speakers.  Last year I switched a couple of class d monos out for a stereo a/b amp that runs about 25 watts in class a and I didn't hear nearly as much difference (I actually heard very little difference) as I did when I switched my speakers this year.  I don't know why people fight about it, its obvious.  Speakers tend to be the least swapped out components so maybe that why people underrate how big of a difference a change makes.

Freo-1

I agree that speakers are the least swapped item.  They are pretty hard to move, and you take a beating on selling them.  So, one tends to "squeeze the most out of them".  However, the reality is, in order to make a really significant change,  speakers are the single biggest item that makes a difference. 

I've become a supporter of the monitor/sub setup.  The ATC speakers that employ the Super Liner driver are easily some the bet I've heard, regardless of price.  Would love to get my hands on the active 50's! 

pfarthing

Nice to see more ATC fans! Congrats on the SCM19s. I have the SCM20SL passives and LOVE how natural and real they should. The bass is also surprisingly extended and truthful. Some tweaks that work for me are getting Sound Anchors, wiring my cable diagonally (positive lead to the bass driver, negative lead to the tweeter), and using Audience AU24e cable, which is more or less a perfect match. Enjoy!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I agree that speakers are the least swapped item.  They are pretty hard to move, and you take a beating on selling them.  So, one tends to "squeeze the most out of them".  However, the reality is, in order to make a really significant change,  speakers are the single biggest item that makes a difference. 

I've become a supporter of the monitor/sub setup.  The ATC speakers that employ the Super Liner driver are easily some the bet I've heard, regardless of price.  Would love to get my hands on the active 50's!

Least swapped due to cost/risk of shipping/WAF and because they're normally so passive (yes passive  :roll: and lack buttons/knobs/switches/gauges/displays) to play with.

Coming from single driver fandom, its impossible to make a purse from a sow's ear (good speaker with lousy driver).  A bit easier to confuse/hide the issue with multiple components in the mix, but amazing is see how much some vendors charge for speakers when the drivers are the same as found in competitor's speakers selling for 5% of their price.

With separate subs you can eliminate standing bass waves inherent to any residentially sized room (refer to Floyd E. Toole's 'Sound Reproduction').
« Last Edit: 6 Jul 2013, 09:14 am by JLM »

jaxwired

I've owned the 11s and the 19s.   ATC does make highly revealing speakers.  If that's what you want, they are about the best.  I have to agree with the poster that stated they are a bit hot in the upper mids.  Also, they are all bass light until you get up to the 100s.  With a sub, they work.  Without a sub, they lack too much low end punch to satisfy me.  Personally I like PMC better. 

c1ferrari

Hi Sam,

Sorry for the late response.  Completely missed it.

The plasma is a 50".  My room, with the speakers against the long wall as you see in this picture, would not have benefited from larger ATCs.  I measured the room (actually Clayton Shaw from Spatial Computer measured it) and I had bass decay issues due to the back wall at the listening position.  I later added a Spatial Black Hole which greatly reduced those issues.  Clayton remarked that the ATCs measured better than just about any other speaker he had measured up to that point, except for the bass decay issue, which was very much room influenced.

BTW, I later move my system to the short wall and the bass decay issues disappeared.  The back wall was no longer just a few feet from the listening position, but was 15 ft behind it.

I would recommend buying an active ATC that matches your room and be prepared to provide the best ancillary equipment and room treatment you can afford.  They are very special and revealing.  It is easy to see/hear why they are such a favorite in studios.

I am happy to answer any other questions you may have!

Hi,

No problem!  I'm new to AC and evidently, haven't my notifications correctly set...I missed your reply  :o
I'm using DALI MegaLine III loudspeakers with four BAT VK-150SE monoblocks and the sound is VERY good  :D

I've listened to ATC SCM 150ASL Pro speakers, in a treated room, with excellent sources -- master tape and test pressings -- and was impressed by the ease with which the music flowed...seamless...continuous...non-hi fi.
I'm fascinated by ATC's and think the actives would certainly make my life/system less complex  :thumb:

Thanks for your replies  :wave:

Sam

c1ferrari

ATC discussions come up occasionally on AC.  I LOVED mine, the humungous SCM150ASL's.  In fact, they were so big they overdrove my large music room, so I sold them within about 6 months of owning them.  But the owning of them was such a wonderful experience, and I met such great people (Grammy-winning Michael Bishop visiting my home, and me visiting his Telarc studio, phone conversation with Pink Floyd legendary producer James Guthrie, wonderful phone conversations with ATC's Billy Woodman, etc)

Here are my 150's in my foyer.

ATC is a great speaker company.  Congrats!

Ted,

What did you go to after the 150's :?:
Thanks.

Sam

Freo-1

I've owned the 11s and the 19s.   ATC does make highly revealing speakers.  If that's what you want, they are about the best.  I have to agree with the poster that stated they are a bit hot in the upper mids.  Also, they are all bass light until you get up to the 100s.  With a sub, they work.  Without a sub, they lack too much low end punch to satisfy me.  Personally I like PMC better.

To me, live music tends to be hot in the upper midrange, so the speakers are just doing their job in accurately reproducing the playback.  One of the amazing qualities of these speakers is the ability to make it sound like there is a live performance going on when you hear them from another room in the house.  The ability to reproduce piano is just spooky.  I played a Chopin performance the other night, and it sounded as if the piano was in the room. 

IMHO, ANY monitor needs a good subwoofer to sound it's best.  I really like the bass from the 19's.  It tuneful and tight, and best of all , integrates very well with most sealed subwoofers.  I've used them with both the ATC C1 and SVS SB13 Ultra to great results.  The SVS 13 Ultra really works well with the 19's.  One could pay a LOT more for speakers and not get this level of performance.

Here is a link to a review of the 19's:

http://www.avguide.com/review/atc-scm19-loudspeaker

Shadorne

Lots of good comments here.

Dan Ritchie is more or less right about distortion. The SL takes the distortion down from about 45 db to 60 db over some lower midrange frequencies and on its own this is not a huge audible difference.

There are some high end consumer hi-fi speakers that can compete quite well with ATC at low SPL levels. There are few that can compete at the high SPL's for low distortion and the few that can inhabit the pro-audio world.

The thing that ATC's do is to play with low distortion at levels that most other speakers would sound awful. Most designs suffer from thermal compression at high levels and sound dull. ATC's sound the same at low or high SPL. The result is music sound effortless and natural EVEN at live concert (realistic) sound levels. This is because of the "short large voice coil in long magnetic gap" design combined with overly robust large magnets. Large voice coils cool better and hence less compression. The overly robust drivers remain linear at very high SPL's. Most speakers do not. Essentially ATC's are like horn speaker without the narrow directivity and distortion that you get with horns. The other trick is a low Q design which means it is highly damped so that you do not have bass resonance and colour masking what you hear in the mids. Finally the mid range dome (with two spiders) is the ideal size for mid range and it throws out a wide even dispersion that illuminates the listener and surrounding room in a very natural way. This mid range dome is the "secret" behind the great sound of ATC's. (Most other designs use overly large woofers to convey the mid range frequencies and being too large the woofers beam - resulting in an unnatural reflected sound field which narrows at the upper mids and gives a pleasant but"hi-fi" sound as the wide dispersion tweeter kicks in - essentially you get a "midrange scoop" from most standard speaker designs and these will sound bass and treble boosted.)

Basically, there is more right about the ATC designs than other speakers resulting in a critically damped (highly revealing) and very natural sound that can be delivered at extreme (revealing) SPL's with distortion similar to electronics. This makes better use of our hearing which can actually handle a much greater dynamic range than most other speakers are capable of.

Shadorne

One of the amazing qualities of these speakers is the ability to make it sound like there is a live performance going on when you hear them from another room in the house.  The ability to reproduce piano is just spooky.  I played a Chopin performance the other night, and it sounded as if the piano was in the room. 

This is due to the wide even dispersion design of ATC and the fact they can play loud like a real instrument. A real piano does not "beam" sound in one narrow direction (at the listener) which is why most speakers will never sound like the real thing. Dr Floyd Toole was the first to research this and show that listeners prefer the "natural" sound from speakers that have a wide even dispersion across the entire frequency range over speakers that have a varied dispersion pattern. Clearly we hear more than the direct arrival of the sound and speakers that have an imbalance between direct and reflected sound do not fool us - they never sound real.

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
The thing that ATC's do is to play with low distortion at levels that most other speakers would sound awful. Most designs suffer from thermal compression at high levels and sound dull. ATC's sound the same at low or high SPL. The result is music sound effortless and natural EVEN at live concert (realistic) sound levels. This is because of the "short large voice coil in long magnetic gap" design combined with overly robust large magnets. Large voice coils cool better and hence less compression. The overly robust drivers remain linear at very high SPL's. Most speakers do not. Essentially ATC's are like horn speaker without the narrow directivity and distortion that you get with horns. The other trick is a low Q design which means it is highly damped so that you do not have bass resonance and colour masking what you hear in the mids. Finally the mid range dome (with two spiders) is the ideal size for mid range and it throws out a wide even dispersion that illuminates the listener and surrounding room in a very natural way. This mid range dome is the "secret" behind the great sound of ATC's. (Most other designs use overly large woofers to convey the mid range frequencies and being too large the woofers beam - resulting in an unnatural reflected sound field which narrows at the upper mids and gives a pleasant but"hi-fi" sound as the wide dispersion tweeter kicks in - essentially you get a "midrange scoop" from most standard speaker designs and these will sound bass and treble boosted.)

Basically, there is more right about the ATC designs than other speakers resulting in a critically damped (highly revealing) and very natural sound that can be delivered at extreme (revealing) SPL's with distortion similar to electronics. This makes better use of our hearing which can actually handle a much greater dynamic range than most other speakers are capable of.
Hi Shadorne, welcome to AC  :wink:.
As a speaker manufacturer myself, I've stayed clear of commenting in this thread, despite some rather dubious claims, for obvious reasons. I absolutely will/can not dispute the "subjective" claims, as that would be foolish and futile. However, the "objective" claims are another matter entirely...and they've been adding up.
So please don't take this as a personal affront (as several audiophiles will in rather short order), but rather focus on the objective claims about ATC being made.
There is a tinge of truth above mixed into a lot of spurious claims. Can you show any objective data to suggest ATCs have low power compression distortion at high levels (like horns?), despite being low/medium sensitivity direct radiator deigns? I would be especially interested in a Soundstage type test of FR vs SPL, given that dome tweeters are being used.
You lost me on the "low Q" claim also. What is low Q? The mid?

This is due to the wide even dispersion design of ATC and the fact they can play loud like a real instrument. A real piano does not "beam" sound in one narrow direction (at the listener) which is why most speakers will never sound like the real thing. Dr Floyd Toole was the first to research this and show that listeners prefer the "natural" sound from speakers that have a wide even dispersion across the entire frequency range over speakers that have a varied dispersion pattern. Clearly we hear more than the direct arrival of the sound and speakers that have an imbalance between direct and reflected sound do not fool us - they never sound real.
You are quite right that spectrally smoother off axis is a large contributor to perceived timbre/sound in acoustically small (living) rooms, as Toole et al found. But the only data I could find on ATC was this:
which is quite the opposite of what is being claimed. Granted, this http://www.stereophile.com/content/atc-scm-11-loudspeaker-measurements model does not use the dome mid, but it does not bode well for any inferencing.
Once again, I am not commenting on subjective impressions. Those are what they are (and will shorty supersede anything factual/objective).

cheers,

AJ

Freo-1

You need better data.  The SCM-11 does NOT have the Super Linear Driver.  The SCM-19 does, and the audible difference is obvious to even the most casual observer. 

I think Shadorne is fairly accurate in his observations.  The best thing for anyone who questions these speakers is to simply go HEAR them, and then report back.

This is a graph of the ATC SCM-20, which is very similar to the SCM-19.  In fact, the SCM-19 is reportedly to actually slightly outperform the 20 according to the ATC reps. 

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
You need better data.
Indeed any is better than none. Thanks for sharing the ATC20 one, though that and the pic has zero to do with what I posted above, which is the off axis Frequency Response data. Perhaps you didn't recognize it as such. It shows somewhat poor, not smooth, off axis.

The SCM-11 does NOT have the Super Linear Driver.
No counter claim was made. Does this SLD affect off axis issues plaguing the CLD one? How? You are conflating dispersion and distortion issues, though dispersion could be considered a linear form of (amplitude) "distortion".
What psycho-acoustic data is there to say that there are lower linear distortion benefits beyond a certain level as you/ATC are purporting? Actual threshold data, not purely subjective uncontrolled impressions, thanks.

This is a graph of the ATC SCM-20, which is very similar to the SCM-19.  In fact, the SCM-19 is reportedly to actually slightly outperform the 20 according to the ATC reps.
That's quite a bit of linear distortion above 2k, nearly +/- 5db, for an active monitor??? I suspect mainly diffraction issues, as even the cheapest domes are capable of greater linearity, the 5k distortion spike is also alarming. At a very modest drive level too.
The bass driver looks good at that very low level (text too microscopic to find the mic distance and other relevant conditions) snapshot, but nothing exceptional at all. The only relevance would be if shown vs other high performance drivers measured under identical conditions and drive level. And even then, unless psycho-acoustically relevant....it's just marketing fluff.
Above that, things look rather unexceptional. Again, thanks for sharing. Quite enlightening.

Shadorne

AJinFLA,

My statements are factually correct. ATC do have low distortion at higher SPL than most speakers which is a distinct advantage. I agree that at moderate SPL levels the differences in performance become small. By low Q I mean that the speaker box/woofer system is tuned so that it is critically damped. This makes a difference in clarity because high Q speakers which have a bass resonance hump tend to mask mid range. Low Q is also a drawback if you happen to prefer your music delivered with lots of warm bass (as many do). The ATC 3" mid range dome operates to 3.3KHz in the bigger models and on SCM19 or 20 I believe the grafted 3" dome operates up to 2.8KHz - in both cases this means that you are getting much more even dispersion through the mid range. This is a fact. It is also a fact that large drivers beam. So the highly prevalent two way speaker designs with 6" woofers generally tend to have a mid range scoop due to the narrowing of the off axis response in the upper midrange (many people like this sound as it emphasizes treble and bass). There are many resources online that explain all this - there is not even any need to resort to graphs or plots. As for loudness and less thermal compression - this is also a fact because the large 3 inch voice coil in the SCM19 or 20 is a short coil large magnetic gap design. I believe Thiel does the same. You can also research this stuff online - JBL had some papers about this many years ago: larger voice coils are much better at dissipating heat.

Anyway I would agree with you about marketing hype or fluff - unfortunately this is a reality of the industry - you don't need to do much research to find snake oil in this industry especially audio cables!!!! This is why above and in my previous responses on this thread I have stuck to things that really do differentiate ATC. I do not think SL drivers are such a big deal. I think SL is simply an incremental improvement rather than a game changer. It is the overall ATC design philosophy and the way they stick to it that is much more important and probably explains why they are still around after some 30 years. ATC established their fame about 30 years ago when they began replacing studio horn main speakers (like Urei) with their design that plays very loud but more cleanly than horns and with wider dispersion (many world class studios still have active ATC mains - usually 200's or 300's). As the main speakers high end (multi-million dollar) studio market is slowly dying (replaced by a computer and pro-tools with small monitors) it seems that ATC have moved more towards consumer products and pro monitor bridge designs starting with the SCM20 in the early 90's and then a line of smaller speakers 16, 12, 11, 7 and recently culminating in the ATC SCM 25a pro which looks to me like the K&H 300. This track record suggests that ATC engineers are continuing to design speakers that some people want. I would add that many home consumers are looking for something more aesthetically impressive, colorful, forgiving, fun and better value in a speaker (think B&W, Harmon Karden group etc.) and only a portion of the pro market and certain audiophiles are interested in what ATC offers. As long as ATC sticks to that niche of listeners then they can probably continue to survive against the wave of "made-in-china".

Are you by chance the Ashley James that used to work at ATC? If so then I have noticed on other forums that Ashely thinks very little of ATC now that he founded AVI.