100ish cans. HD 280s, HD 515, HD 555 or something else? Need help!!!

Mark T. Montgomery

Hey guys, I'm coming off a pair of sen. HD 202s and want to move up.  I've been seriously looking at the HD 280 and HD 515 because of the price but I might consider going for the hd 555s.  I don't and won't have a headphone amp for a few years.  I'm still in college and don't have a big budget.  I do like the isolation factor of the 280s but the best sound is my priority.  I just went into a best buy today and sat for around 20 minutes demoing a pair of Bose that might have been these:
http://www.amazon.com/BOSE-R-Triport-Headphone-Silver/dp/B00009MK3T/ref=pd_bbs_sr_10/102-7993790-8024130?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1184459633&sr=8-10

They sounded much better than my 202s.  The base was less powerful but much more controlled and real which is more what I like.  I know that bose products are generaly a ripoff so if I was impressed with them I'm hoping that I will be as much or more with something like the 280s.  One thing I don't know about this demo is what was driving those bose cans because it was a typical bose demo system with everything hidden inside a closed box.  Anyway thanks for your help guys.
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2007, 12:57 am by Mark T. Montgomery »

Mark T. Montgomery

Okay the HD 515s are out, they appear to be trash.

JoshK

$100 is tight...if you can find a good pair use, by all means...

That said, Grado tend to be cheaper but require more from the amp.

I have owned Senn HD580's and HD600's, and I love them.  They are more than twice your budget new, who knows used.

Beyemeiser phones are spse to be the bomb, and look into AKG. 

Just pay attention to the impedance... Senns are 600ohms, Grados are 32ohms...the lower the harder for an amp to drive...i.e., the more you'll have to pay for an amp to due justice to them.

Mark T. Montgomery

Thanks for the answer, I'm obviously a nube here to be impressed with the bose ilusion but I know I love good sound and always have.  I just haven't had the oportunity to invest much so I have to ask you guys what's best.