$20 Sennheisers - anyone heard them?

Russell Dawkins

« on: 26 Sep 2005, 06:11 pm »
I am looking for some disposable-priced headphones with closed backs for general studio abuse, since I seem to go through them too fast and I'm tired of cautioning clients to be careful. These came up at an unbelievably low price and I wonder if anyone has heard them.
http://www.headphone.com/products/headphones/sealed-and-noise-canceling/sennheiser-hd-201.php
Russell

gitarretyp

« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2005, 08:50 pm »
I use a pair of these in my office with my laptop. They are decent and better than the price would suggest. Of course they are no where near as good (comfort or sound quality) as my hd 600s, nor should the be.

You might like to know that these are available at amazon/tiger direct for 15.99 and are in stock Amazon Link

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 12:38 am »
gitarretyp,
thanks for the link, I ordered their last 4 pair.

bhd812

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2005, 10:38 am »
I bought these for my brother and a few friends as I thought they were that good. They sound easily like $80-$100 cans but not to much more.

I was first introduced to these by Tyll from headroom at a chicago Headphone meet I hosted, My setup was including the Meridian G08 cd player and the Ray Samuels tubed raptor headphone amp, even though you would not use $20 cans on this gear I thought at the time for $20 these are some killers to be had.

Not to be a dick but for $20 wouldnt even by the rca plugs on my interconnects so to me such a good sound was a easy and fun buy!

don't get me wrong and please do not expect these to sound as good as higher end cans but for something portable and cheap these are the headphones to have.

bhd812

« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2005, 10:39 am »
and if Headroom does not have any try Todd the vinyl junkie to..

both are great dealers

nickspicks

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2005, 11:14 am »
I've got a pair of these.  the 201s I believe.
they sound better than my Beyer DT-250s, which were more than 10x the price.

I think they are great cans.  price?  forgetaboutit!!

zobsky

• Fringe Lunatic - Dallas, Tx
    • My Audio Blog
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2005, 09:29 pm »
i bought my (non-audiophile) brother in law a pair of these, ..

not a great deal of micro detail but not tinny and pleasant to listen to and comfortable, definately a step above dirt cheap phones.
not a great deal of bass, but somewhat remedied by the "bass boost" on his discman.

verdict: good value for the price.