New to me VR5 Anniversary

mhconley

New to me VR5 Anniversary
« on: 9 Jan 2022, 06:25 pm »
I recently purchased a used pair of VR5 Anniversaries to replace my beloved VR4 Gen III HSEs. I am a happy camper. I have them in the same place I had my VR4s. I tried moving them but they seem happiest where the VR4s were sitting. (My VR4s are under new ownership in a new home...)

My impressions: The bass is very similar if not indistinguishable between the VR4 Gen III HSE and VR5 Anniversary. Both play equally low and with impressive authority. I think bass is one of the defining characteristics of both of these speakers. I love the visceral impact of which they are capable. The midrange seems more present and fuller in the VR5s. What these speakers do for guitars, keyboards and vocals is amazing. The tweeters also seem to have more sparkle than the VR4s with zero sibilance or harshness. I thought the VR4s were good but the VR5s are better. Where I have heard the biggest difference is in soundstage and overall impact. The VR5s just have more of everything. I had the VR4s dialed in a projecting a nice sphere of sound. That sphere of sound seems to have expanded one-and-a-half to twofold larger with the VR5s. I can listen to these for hours on end at an average volume of 85dB (peaks in the mid 90dB range).

I had always said the VR4s were my endgame speaker. Considering the current price of Von Schweikert speakers, barring a lottery win, these VR5 Anniversaries are definitely my end game speaker. My son will inherit them.

I purchased them from someone on this site but will not name them as the entire transaction was completed via personal messages. I'll only say I am extremely grateful!
Martin

From my listening chair:

I’m experimenting with some acoustic panels I made years ago…
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2022, 01:21 pm by mhconley »

dpatters

Re: New to me VR5 Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2022, 06:29 pm »
Congrats!  I still have a pair of VR4jrs in a secondary system. They were my first true high end speakers.

Don P.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2022, 02:28 am »
The VR-5 Anniversary are wonderful speakers.   I've listened to $20,000 speakers which were not as good. 

Enjoy!

sunnydaze

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2022, 03:30 am »
The VR-5 Anniversary are wonderful speakers.   I've listened to $20,000 speakers which were not as good. 

Enjoy!

Not really surprising.  I think the VR5 Anni retailed for up near $30k, almost 50% more.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2022, 04:06 am »
Not really surprising.  I think the VR5 Anni retailed for up near $30k, almost 50% more.

Yes, I was thinking of the VR-5 HSE, which retailed at $12K.