Which sized driver is best?

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Which sized driver is best?
« Reply #20 on: 30 Aug 2018, 11:27 pm »
Thanks again, everyone.

As much as I might prefer the Classic 15s in my living room, my poor wife would flip. She has adjusted to my having the Daedalus Apollos in there, but it didn't happen overnight. A more likely choice will be a smaller driver/enclosure that will perform best in my home office. It's 10'4"W x 14'4"L x 8'H. My listening position would be approximately 8' from the speakers. The speakers would be approximately 6.5' apart.

8 inch drivers??? I'm guessing 10" or 12" drivers would overload the room. I'm not going to be cranking the volume.

To be honest, I'm unsure I want to go through with this, but instead buy an awesome pair of headphones. There. I said it.  :duh: [Yeah. I know. WTH is going on in his brain? ]

Edit: I should mention that there's nothing wrong with my Apollos. They sound amazing. It's just I have this itching to experiment....to keep trying things....it's the dreaded Audio Nervosa, isn't it? When does it stop?  :cyclops:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 30 Aug 2018, 11:41 pm »
There is the Classic8Neo not Alnico, 97dB and $650.
http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an8classicneospecs.jpg
Planar headphones makes sense to me if the soundstage is big as Ananda, it came w/its own cables, no xover, tube amp friendly, easy to resale, sound real pleaseant w/that harmonics, no need big enclosures, they are very wife friendly.

HifiMan prices tend to drop in the near black friday, they have some open box too.

OBS.: Forgot to mention that my HE is 10 times more detailed than a good two way speaker and the very transparent, clinical Seen HD800 is even much more.
« Last Edit: 31 Aug 2018, 02:38 am by FullRangeMan »

Folsom

« Reply #22 on: 30 Aug 2018, 11:59 pm »
The 8" Dayton fullrange with Danny's BSC would be a nice option.

Sarchi

« Reply #23 on: 31 Aug 2018, 01:03 am »
Fostex BK16 & BK20 could be good options as well.