Zu and speaker placement

dcktr

Zu and speaker placement
« on: 20 Jun 2008, 02:09 pm »
Hello
Have not heard the Zu at all yet. I may be able to get to the RMAF, and listen there. I can also just driver to Utah.
My problem is that my WAF speaker placement means that the back side of the speaker is about 14" from the wall, they are pulled out "half way" so the front of the speaker is exposed by about 6 inches. So overall that I have about 28 inches from back wall to speaker front
My current speakers are Reimer Wind Rivers, which to be honest sound pretty damn good. They are about 14 deep. I have the three year itch.

So.... I understand that the Presence is pretty good with near the wall/corner placement. Any chance the Def's would be ok in this placement?? With those rear firing woofers, I am in doubt.

Thanks

dcstep

Re: Zu and speaker placement
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jun 2008, 03:47 pm »
My speakers have two positions, one is WAF approved for when I'm not listening or it's just casual listening and the other position is optimal for critical listening. I measure from the wall and get repeatable placement within 1/16". It works great. The wife complains when she comes in and I'm there listening, but... she gets over it.  8)

Dave

miklorsmith

« Reply #2 on: 20 Jun 2008, 04:40 pm »
I've had Druids within 3" of the front wall and 3 models of Definitions within 3" as well.  Their particular bass loading makes near-wall placement work very, very well.  Imaging will lose some precision if you're into that sort of thing.  The Biggest concern with Druids is floor gap, i.e. they should never be placed directly on carpet.  1/4" honestly makes a significant difference in bass character.

gsm18439

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jun 2008, 10:15 pm »
My Zu Def 2s are 3 inches from the front wall, the minimum recommended by Zu Audio; and they sound great. However, they are spread quite wide and are toed in severely.

bonesetter

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:06 pm »
The Biggest concern with Druids is floor gap, i.e. they should never be placed directly on carpet.  1/4" honestly makes a significant difference in bass character.

What have your experiences been with changing the gap height on different Zu speakers?

Does each Zu speaker need a different height, and do you think it's room specifics which dictates the height?

What is the gap height you have found to work best in your set-up?

I have approx 11mm with my Druids at present. The speakers sit on a laminate floor

gsm18439

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:26 pm »
Bonesetter: I have wondered how a Leben amplifier would sound with my Def 2s. (I currently use a Yamamoto A-08s.) I see that you use a Leben/Druid combo.

bonesetter

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:37 pm »
Bonesetter: I have wondered how a Leben amplifier would sound with my Def 2s. (I currently use a Yamamoto A-08s.) I see that you use a Leben/Druid combo.

I posted a quick reply the other day on the combo. Here it is:

I have the Druids matched with a Leben CS-300 and I can say it works wonderfully well. The Leben is a snappy amp which complements Zu's incredible dynamics. The combination allows both Druids and Leben to shine.

I went over to a friends who has Druids and a EAR V20 and we compared the leben. While his V20 sounded very nice, compared to the Leben it was slower. The Leben was plainly the winner and sounded overall more musical. I have no doubt the 600 will be as synergistic...

The Leben is a keeper as we say. I compared it to a few amps when buying (Sugden, Croft... & one other?) and the Leben had a certain magic to it which instantly connected. It certainly is very musical, has alot of mid range detail (for a tube amp), and as I said before is snappy which complements it and the druids. It will do party vol too - I Cannot turn it above 12 o' clock vol - it shakes the house. But of course sounds best at more intimate levels. A very beautiful amp (the friend I compared the EAR with wants one now!)

Paul_Bui

• Rode NTK and S-1 microphones
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jun 2008, 04:49 pm »
I haven't heard the Zu Druids nor the Defs but am very interested in either speaker.  Subjectively, is the Druids bass sufficient for most music styles, save rap and heavy rock?

Thanks.

dcktr

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2008, 07:45 pm »
Thanks for the info on Zu Def speaker placement. Now I need to do some listening. The other speakers I want to audition are the Devore Silverback, Salk HT3, and Horning Agathon. Anybody with any experience with these guys? The $$ for Horning and Devore at retail are a little high but I keep looking.