PC based transport ideas - griffin powerwave, rme, lynx etc

EchiDna

*Edit*
I split the below posts out of the tripath/powerwave thread as they were OT (by my instigation :roll: ). anyway, this should help to keep both threads on topic (I hope). Sorry for the confusion!
*/Edit*

a bit OT, but not having heard one of these little beasts, I'd like to know how you feel/felt about PC based audio before taking up this powerwave concept? had any of you tried building a PC based transport with a high spec sound card like Lynx or RME?

the reason I ask is I have embraced the pc based music system totally. I buy a cd and it goes straight onto the HDD and the disk goes into storage and never gets listened to again. I can hear the difference that clearly.... is it possible that some of what you are hearing is the reduced jitter and better dynamics (IMHO) of the source rather than the amp??

Bwanagreg

« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2004, 05:02 pm »
is it possible that some of what you are hearing is the reduced jitter and better dynamics (IMHO) of the source rather than the amp??

Not in my case. I tried the USB input for a day, and switched to the RCA inputs using aconventional CD player . The DAC section of the Griffin was nice and clear, but could not drive the amp to full volume.

I do plan on building a dedicated audio PC and doing exactly what you are - rip the CD to my file server and play it from there - but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Do you use the analogue output of the Lynx, or just the spdif output?

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2004, 05:47 pm »
Echidna,

I temporarily had this unit plugged into the pc via: USB driving a pair of Paradigm Titan's.  It had no problem, and really brought out the best in these very modest monitors.  

When more funds begin rolling in, I am going to construct a dedicated PC source for audio playback, most likely using either a TerraTech or Lynx2 audio card.  I've also been told using the spdif out built into a certain Asus motherboard *forgot which one* yeilds stunning results.  A lot of options there..

I am not positive what makes the digital amps, as good as they are.  Especially in a shoddy unit like the Power Wave.  An incredibly cheap / noisy power supply. (I Still cant get the damn buzz away).  Horrible speaker terminal connections.  By all accounts, this thing should be unbearable...  but it couldnt be further from the truth.

I've had the powerwave in my main system *hooked up to a simple panasonic rp56 player, using a nad c370 as a pre*, and havent taken it out in days.  

The best part about this amp, is its size.  It can fit inside your pants pocket with ease.  I just cant wait to go to a local hifi dealer, ask if I can use my amp....  and then proceed to take it out of my pocket.  The look on their faces will be absolutely priceless.

vpolineni

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2004, 05:50 pm »
Quote from: EchiDna
a bit OT, but not having heard one of these little beasts, I'd like to know how you feel/felt about PC based audio before taking up this powerwave concept? had any of you tried building a PC based transport with a high spec sound card like Lynx or RME?

From what I understand, Brandon (Hantra) and I are the only people to use a PC based transport.   Brandon uses the Lynx L22 card and I use the RME HDSP 9632...  I thought about using the lynx but got the rme for 150 dollars less.  It's well reviewed and I like it a lot.  I'm currently using single ended interconnects with it but I plan on using a balanced connection with it soon.. hopefully therewill be an improvement.

Dmason

« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2004, 05:56 pm »
The TerraTec stuff is a very good value as well, and comes with alot of add ons, not the least of which is GigaSampler, and several other DSP's and 48 track recording. The Giga piano sample is the best I have ever heard.

cjr888

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2004, 07:52 pm »
I have an RME PAD 96/8 that was modified with BlackGates and swapped opamps, but haven't had a chance to put together even a temporary system to give it a shot as source. It was affordable, so grabbed it for the heck of it.

I may have the time to give this a shot this weekend grabbing an extra PC just to get a taste...but only using SPDIF out.  I need to get a set of 1/4" -> RCA interconnects or adaptor in order to try the analog out direct off the card, which is unfortunately what I'm most curious of.

If time permits this weekend, I'll most likely be trying Modified RME -> SPDIF -> Scott Nixon TubeDAC w/a Cryo 1960 6DJ8 Philips Miniwatt ->

Unfortunately favorite volume control (Silver Rock) has been sold, favorite amplifier (EAR2) has been sold, and the 2A3 is currently unavailable, so the rest of the chain won't be ideal...  But either way I'm still curious.

My real curiosity (outside of the LynxTwo itself), is eliminating the opamp output, and taking the signal direct off the soundcard DAC -> transformers -> transformer based volume control -> either a 45/2a3/300b or digital amplifier -> single driver speakers (say F200a or AERs or something open baffle) or horns.

vpolineni

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2004, 10:24 pm »
cjr888,
  what mods did you do to the rme?  check your pm.