Wider Sweet Spot?

coke

Wider Sweet Spot?
« on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:29 pm »
I recently moved to a new home.  While in the process of moving, I put my Songtower RT speakers along with my Insight AVA equipment in the living room so I'd have some music in the house.   The new living room is a big improvement over the old, and I was really enjoying the sound.  After I got somewhat settled, I moved the songtowers and equipment to another room and moved my HT2-TLs and AVA Ultra to the living room.  While setting up the speakers, I noticed that the "sweet spot" had shrunk dramatically.  It seemed that with the songtowers I could move around or even sit in different seats and the sound was good.  With the HT2-TLs, it seemed I had to have my head in one spot +/- a couple inches.

Does anyone have any input on why there's such a big difference between the 2 setups?  Both sets of speakers have the same tweeters, but it's the older style.   Could this be due to woofer size?

I've done some experimenting with locations, but not sure that's the issue. I haven't had time to put the insight electronics on the HT2-TLs to eliminate that possibility, but not sure it's the cause either.

Ictwoody

• Art Director. Artist. Kansan.
Re: Wider Sweet Spot?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2016, 03:54 pm »
It probably has to do with room interactions and modes. I'm guessing some treatments would help.

- Woody

coke

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2016, 04:14 pm »
It probably has to do with room interactions and modes. I'm guessing some treatments would help.

- Woody

The HT2-TLs have always had this issue, but it wasn't as noticeable or I didn't realize what I was missing until I essentially played them back to back with the songtowers.  I've had the HT2-TLs in 4 rooms, so I don't think that's the issue. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2016, 04:14 pm »
The Room is the most overlooked component. 

coke

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2016, 04:19 pm »

I have a bunch of GIK 244 & 242 panels, but haven't set them up yet at the new house.  I may try experimenting later this week.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2016, 04:32 pm »
Room EQ Wizard is free and all you need is a PC and microphone (Parts Express is one of several options) to measure

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2016, 04:34 pm »
The HT2-TLs have always had this issue, but it wasn't as noticeable or I didn't realize what I was missing until I essentially played them back to back with the songtowers.  I've had the HT2-TLs in 4 rooms, so I don't think that's the issue.

I checked my files on the older HT2 TL with the LCY ribbon, and the newer one with the RAAL, and I also checked the Song Tower file.  Both versions of the HT2 TL's were crossed at the same point--around 2100 Hz. 
The Song Tower LCY  is crossed higher at around 2500.   So I'm surprised that there would be any significant difference in the listening window.  The woofers are smaller on the ST, but the higher crossover frequency should compensate for that to a significant degree.   They both have similar phase integration characteristics.   So I dunno. 

coke

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2016, 07:37 pm »
I checked my files on the older HT2 TL with the LCY ribbon, and the newer one with the RAAL, and I also checked the Song Tower file.  Both versions of the HT2 TL's were crossed at the same point--around 2100 Hz. 
The Song Tower LCY  is crossed higher at around 2500.   So I'm surprised that there would be any significant difference in the listening window.  The woofers are smaller on the ST, but the higher crossover frequency should compensate for that to a significant degree.   They both have similar phase integration characteristics.   So I dunno.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  It will be a few days before I can do any experimenting, but I appreciate the help.

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2016, 08:53 pm »
Coke, would you be so kind as to report back on your experiments with the GIK 244 & 242 panels and room placement?
Cheers,
KP

coke

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:07 pm »
Looks like the TV was part of the problem.  I remembered I didn't have a TV in the room when the Songtowers were set up, but there's a 70" TV between the HT2-TLs.  Threw a blanket over it and seems to have helped some. 

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm »

Truer words were never spoken, but a browse through the Pictures section will show many installations where big bucks were spent on IC's and tweaks but obviously no real attention to acoustics issues. When you're listening to speakers, you're not just listening to speakers; you're listening to the room.

coke

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2016, 02:08 pm »
Couple pictures of the room.  Neither shows the current setup.   My speakers are in a similar location but pulled out further from the wall. Room is approx. 23x16

Kenneth Patchen

• Volunteer
  • Just like that bluebird
Re: Wider Sweet Spot
« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2016, 07:43 pm »
I realize that the photo doesn't show the current set-up but as is, both speakers are too far apart and not far enough into the room. The open hallway doesn't help either. Mine also have the LCY tweeter and are in the untreated, smaller and unexorcized 'room-from-hell'.

dwolek

« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:15 pm »
As counter-intuitive as it sounds, I've always had good experiences using the Wilson Audio WASP method. 

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/waspe.html

billmcc

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2016, 08:26 pm »
Couple pictures of the room.  Neither shows the current setup.   My speakers are in a similar location but pulled out further from the wall. Room is approx. 23x16

Isn't it suggested to have each speaker positioned so the tweeter offset is on the inside not the outside? I'm not sure if that will make an audible difference in your room. But I've always followed Jim's advice to have the tweeter offset positioned in than out. How far apart are the speakers and how far do you sit from them? In the picture it appears that they are quite far apart. I agree with Kenneth that they should be further into the room away from the front wall.

Bill

coke

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jun 2016, 08:47 pm »
I've been busy lately and progress has been slow.  I made a few changes though that seemed to have helped.  Speakers in the pic haven't been positioned yet, and are closer to the wall than they will be when finished.

Mounted the TV on the wall
Moved tweeters to inside
Moved speakers closer together