Magnepan and HT

Ragnar71

Magnepan and HT
« on: 8 Mar 2020, 03:55 pm »
I’m curious if anyone uses Magnepans in a Home Theatre set up and exactly how you have it set up.  I’m taking my old HT out and am going to start with just 2 channel stereo for my TV. Getting Maggie’s for my music first and foremost but IM also almost 50 and watching TV I probably need just the added volume if nothing else. Just hypothetically a Nagnepan HT should also be really good. The Maggie’s I’ve heard  throw sound out so it never feels to me like the sound comes from the speakers .  I think it would be cool to have 5 LRS . I’m thinking since the sound from the rear speakers in HT is such that you wouldn’t necessarily need as MUCH clearance from the back wall as you would the front 3. If someone watches TV or movies through Magnepans I’d love your thoughts and to hear how you have it set up

Saturn94

Re: Magnepan and HT
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2020, 05:57 pm »
I’m using the Maggie LRS as my main speakers in my system which does double duty for 5.1 HT and 2 channel.  My center and surrounds are from NHT, and the sub is from Power Sound Audio.

I’m very happy with the performance.  I was somewhat concerned how the LRS would handle dynamic movie soundtracks, but it hasn’t been an issue at all.

I bet an all Maggie LCR and surrounds would be awesome!

smargo

« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2020, 06:21 pm »
i use the Maggie LRS for both music listening and home theater

for $695 - its such a no brainer - i cant believe its not mentioned more - its by far and easily the best speaker i have ever had in 25 years - for the money

the soundstage and insight it provides are to die for. (twice)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2020, 06:25 pm »
Sure, for years.
If you look at my "Systems" you should see what I set up for the wife to watch Judge Judy (god help me).

kmmd

« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2020, 07:17 pm »
I’ve been building for decades.  I started with a pair of 10QR’s, then 1.6’s and now 3.6’ as my main speakers.  As a result I just shifted the smaller Maggie’s around the room and repurposed them.  I have a a Sony 65-inch OLED (A1E) in between.  It’s been a never ending and a slow but thoughtful process, but I’m happy with the results.  The system:

Two-channel:
Preamp: VAC Signature Mk IIa SE with US made Amperex PQ white label with gold pin 6922's. Shunyata King Cobra CX PC
Amps: Pass Labs X250.8 for the mids and highs and Bryston 7B SST's for the lows

Source: 2011 MacMini with SSD and a Paul Hynes SR7EHD power supply running Roon. Also have JRiver 25 and Amarra Luxe. Shunyata Alpha NR PC.
DAC: Schiit Yggy with Unison USB & Analog 2. Shunyata Sigma USB. Paul Kaplan HE v1 PC

Modified Marchand XM44 crossover (Burson V6 Vivids, BlackGates, Bybees, SR Orange). Paul Kaplan HE v1 PC.

Speakers:
Biamped Magnepan 3.6R's
Subs: A pair of REL S/5 SHO subs and Longbow.

HT with above 2-channel:
Preamp/Processor: Theta Casablanca IVa with D3 Xtreme DAC. Shunyata Anaconda CX PC
Amps: 2 x ModWright KWA150SE's for center and rears

Blu-ray player: Modded LPS Oppo 203. WW Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI. Paul Kaplan HE v1 PC

Speakers: Center Channel - Maggie "tri-center" with MG10QR's and CC3. Center sub - Velodyne DD12
Rears: Magnepan 1.6QR's

Power conditioning: Shunyata Denali 6000/S v2 and Running Springs Jaco and Haleys. Shunyata King Cobra CX 20amp and RS Mongoose PC's

Cabling is all WireWorld IC's with Platinum 7's for main 2-channel listening and older Golds elsewhere. Speaker cables by Alpha Core Goertz MI series.

EkW

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2020, 01:50 am »
I have a full Magnepan HT, except for the subs. I have the center channel speaker and four wall mounted speakers. Works very well in my rectangular room. Because the room is narrow there isn't room for large speakers to each side of the screen. One can even fold the speakers flat against the wall if so desired when they are not i use. I've been happy with the speakers for over 15 years. They have stayed while electronics have changed.