Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2

Pez

Re: Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2
« Reply #100 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:11 pm »
Everyone keeps talking about this grill tweak. I'm intrigued and would like to try this on my speakers. I am confused though as to what is the best way to remove the grills. The two most logical ideas I had were to use a pair of scissors and cut the cloth off the grill. The other solution would be to use a blow torch and melt them off carefully. I think the second solution makes the most sense, I'd just have to be careful not to singe the speakers.

Thoughts?

Pez

« Reply #101 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:28 pm »
Since no one responded I went ahead and tried burning them off. I forgot to mention this is for my car stereo. Unfortunately the grills caught on fire. Will these still sound ok?

Thoughts?

OzarkTom

« Reply #102 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:32 pm »
Everyone keeps talking about this grill tweak. I'm intrigued and would like to try this on my speakers. I am confused though as to what is the best way to remove the grills. The two most logical ideas I had were to use a pair of scissors and cut the cloth off the grill. The other solution would be to use a blow torch and melt them off carefully. I think the second solution makes the most sense, I'd just have to be careful not to singe the veneer on my speakers.

Thoughts?

If removing your grills is too much trouble for you, you can always trade yours in for a new pair of speakers that have no grills.

OzarkTom

« Reply #103 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:41 pm »
Since no one responded I went ahead and tried burning them off. I forgot to mention this is for my car stereo. Unfortunately the grills caught on fire. Will these still sound ok?

Thoughts?

:duh: Niow you need a new car.

Pez

« Reply #104 on: 11 Dec 2011, 04:44 pm »
:duh: Niow you need a new car.

Correction, my neighbor needs a new car.

Soundminded

« Reply #105 on: 11 Dec 2011, 05:08 pm »

Thoughts?

Looks good to me!

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #106 on: 11 Dec 2011, 06:52 pm »

BwaaaHaaaHaaaHaa. Oh man, cut it out, I can't take it anymore. My ribs are hurting :lol:

Not to mention, I understand if you buy those pricey maple blocks and put one under and on top of each speaker, the sound improves exponentially.  The top one should be weighted down with a gold brick (ok, you can use gold-painted lead) so it doesn't dance around from the extreme bass.

Quiet Earth

« Reply #107 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:04 pm »
It seems like some of you guys just like to throw stones at other people and knock them down. Once the bar is lowered you feel obligated to inform us that you are an expert in your field.  Usually you are an engineer or a scientist, but always you are the keeper of all knowledge and wisdom. You wear your certificate of expertise like a name-tag on your shirt, and it infuses your ever growing angry commentary. Should we ask an honest question or make a comment in order to gain a better understanding of a topic, you respond by throwing another stone.

What the Hell do we learn from that? Nothing.

I know some of you guys have something really important to say and there is always something that we can learn from you. But I would rather learn it while feeling included, not excluded. And I don't ever feel any taller just because I'm standing on top of someone I knocked down.

Not even sure why I typed this now. Maybe I'm just done with this shit.

Pez

« Reply #108 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:37 pm »
Really Quiet Earth, you were about to learn something? Really? Come on, climb off the high horse.

Soundminded

« Reply #109 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:55 pm »
Really Quiet Earth, you were about to learn something? Really? Come on, climb off the high horse.

Yeah, ilke how to keep my car's stereo running when global warming really gets out of hand  :lol:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #110 on: 11 Dec 2011, 07:56 pm »

I certainly have been enlightened by Soundminded.

High fidelity sound is not about woofers, tweeters, tubes, transistors, phonograph records, cds, it's about sound fields. Until those are studied and understood to a far greater degree than at present, sound system designers including speaker designers are shooting in the dark and miss every time.

I am going to give away all of my equipment and recordings.
(how could I ever sell them knowing they are a shot in the dark and they all miss the target of high fidelity?)

Hopefully Soundminded will get this travesty all sorted out before my hearing goes so I can enjoy music in my home.

Soundminded

« Reply #111 on: 11 Dec 2011, 08:07 pm »
I certainly have been enlightened by Soundminded.

I am going to give away all of my equipment and recordings.
(how could I ever sell them knowing they are a shot in the dark and they all miss the target of high fidelity?)

Hopefully Soundminded will get this travesty all sorted out before my hearing goes so I can enjoy music in my home.

Form follows function;

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_soph.shtml

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Witt-Metal-Series-Wastewatchers-13-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-Receptacle-with-Rigid-Plastic-Liner/13401194

Classic! :green:

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #112 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:00 pm »
After more listening we thought these 901's sound more realistic without the foam around the front speaker driver.

In our room the best speaker placement was with the speakers toed-in with the inter-edge of the speakers out about 22 inches from the front wall and outer-edge of the speakers about 27 and a half inches out from the front wall. It just keeps getting better the more I move them around now !! 8)
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2011, 01:28 am by HiFiSoundGuy »

Pez

« Reply #113 on: 11 Dec 2011, 09:43 pm »
Pics or it didn't happen.

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #114 on: 13 Dec 2011, 03:58 pm »
Did the original 901s sound better or is it just nostalgia? I ask this as I recall a record store using the early 901s and at that time I thought they were great. This is probably 70 or 71 and I was 16 years old. But I really loved going to that store and listening while browsing the lps.
I still vividly recall hearing Layla by  Derek And The Dominoes for the first time in that store and being blown away.  About 15 years later I got a pair of the 901 series IVs. Kept them for a few years until the foam rot set in. Aah memory lane...
Forum member Tunah on the avguide forum traded his bose series 2 for some new bose series 6 mk2's and said the improvement was BIG !   8)
  http://www.avguide.com/forums/the-new-and-improved-bose-901-series-6-mk2s?page=1

chrisby

« Reply #115 on: 13 Dec 2011, 05:51 pm »
Soundminded:

relevance of a Wilson Audio product in a  Bose 901 thread I can sorta understand, but WTF's up with the garbage can?

Æ

« Reply #116 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:02 pm »
WTF's up with the garbage can?

Maybe he is trying to tell us something. Like this whole thread is trash.

chrisby

« Reply #117 on: 13 Dec 2011, 07:22 pm »
Maybe he is trying to tell us something. Like this whole thread is trash.

indeed  :duh:   the bandwidth and pixels forever committed to such nonsense 

there must be better things to discuss

:beer:

Soundminded

« Reply #118 on: 13 Dec 2011, 08:48 pm »
Soundminded:

relevance of a Wilson Audio product in a  Bose 901 thread I can sorta understand, but WTF's up with the garbage can?

You didn't notice that the Sophia III enclosure looks just like one of those trash cans with the triangular top and the lid that swings when you push in on it to dump something in it? It's the first thing about the speaker that struck me, it looks like a trash can. I wonder if it sounds that way too  :lol:

mtruong34

« Reply #119 on: 13 Dec 2011, 10:22 pm »
I think HiFiSoundguy is just being facetious and we are giving his jokes too much credibility.