overkill for Magnepan LRS?

miatadan

• Industry Participant
overkill for Magnepan LRS?
« on: 12 Jun 2019, 05:02 am »
I ordered a pair of LRS in gray...

I have a pair of destroyed/broken MG1.7i from break in of my home last Sept.

One problem I had with the MG1.7i was the sound stage and imaging due to width of room is just 9 feet. Length not a issue with having 20 feet. With the MG1.7i distance between them was only 3 feet with power amp located between them.
pic attached shows issue for width of room

For amplification new McIntosh C70 tube preamp and McIntosh MC312 power amplifier - kind of overkill for the LRS ?
Can I expect these LRS to sound good in this room?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: overkill for Magnepan LRS?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2019, 09:14 am »
I think you'll be more successful with the smaller ones and no, I don't think that's overkill.
I hooked up MMGs to my big system for the fun of it one day and they sounded great!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2019, 12:20 pm »
+1, I had Hypex N-core monos hooked up to my modded MMGs cranked up to ear splitting levels in a small room and had no problems, sounded great

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2019, 01:58 pm »
  With 9' width you should be a happy camper. Not overkill at all. You may need a small sub though. Think used Sunfire.

charles

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2019, 10:10 pm »

My approach is one can never have too much power with amps, so no worries with overkill. 

I would look at a pair of SVS subs to mate with the speakers.

AvsFan

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2019, 02:34 pm »
My room is exactly the same width as yours, 9 feet. I don't have nearly as much length though at 12 feet. My LRS's are 46inches off the back wall and 38 inches apart from edge to edge of speaker.

I think the LRS's are a perfect size for this room as I am having no issues with sound stage or imaging. They sound GREAT! 

And is your McIntosh overkill for the LRS's?
ABSOLUTELY! NOT!  :D
From everything I have been told and have heard, the LRS's thrive on power. So the more quality watts, the merrier. And with your 312, those are quality watts. I am powering mine with 80 watts per channel right now and it is not enough. The amp I am buying for my Maggie's is rated at 450 watts per channel at 4ohms. More power equals happy Maggie's!  :D

I think you will be quite pleased with them in your room. They absolutely need help on the low end though. The bass the LRS's have is musical, defined, articulate, fast but a little lean.

Get yourself one or two quality musical subs that move fast enough to keep up with the Maggie's speed. I have narrowed my two choices to either the REL T5i or Rythmik L12. X2 on both. Will load the subs in the corners of my room.

Here is a picture of my LRS's.

AvsFan

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2019, 02:46 pm »
My approach is one can never have too much power with amps, so no worries with overkill. 

I would look at a pair of SVS subs to mate with the speakers.

Never too much power is correct.

I have owned MANY, many subs from SVS. In fact Ron Stimpson and I developed quite a good relationship over the years due to him living in he same city as I do. He gave me prototype subs out of his own theater.
Anyway, my take on SVS subs, GREAT for home theater! Few subs top them in that department but I have never enjoyed them for two channel music.
I keep trying though and my opinion remains the same.
With lightning quick speakers like the Maggie's, you want lightning quick subs. As above I am mating mine to the REL's or servo controlled Rythmiks.
Heck, even the two RSL Speedwoofer 10S's that are in my home theater system with my ZU Audio speakers are lightning quick. Best musical subs I have ever owned. I might just try another pair of those with the Maggie's, at $399 a piece, they are an absolute steal!

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2019, 03:27 pm »
These subwoofers look like they could work with music just fine...

https://www.svsound.com/pages/16-ultra-series

I have owned a few servo subwoofers, and my experience is that they tended to sound as if they were just reproducing a single deep note.  There was a lack of definition with the bass octave. Granted, room interaction can by VERY challenging to overcome, which is why I recommended one with DSP to help tame the room interaction. 

Personally, I found it easier to just get a good pair of floor standing speakers that can get down into the low 20's for bass response.  If they are teamed up with an amp that has a high damping factor and low impedance, one can achieve both the low frequency extension and still get good definition from the bass.   

In this case, a pair of subwoofers properly integrated is what the OP is after, which should achieve excellent sound. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2019, 03:29 pm »
  SVS, Rythmic, Sunfire are all wonderful choices. for Maggies. Whatever you choose you should be quite satisfied.

charles

AvsFan

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jun 2019, 05:01 pm »
These subwoofers look like they could work with music just fine...

https://www.svsound.com/pages/16-ultra-series

I have owned a few servo subwoofers, and my experience is that they tended to sound as if they were just reproducing a single deep note.  There was a lack of definition with the bass octave. Granted, room interaction can by VERY challenging to overcome, which is why I recommended one with DSP to help tame the room interaction. 

Thanks for the info. I already know I like the sound of the RSL's, I might as well stay with what I know and get a second pair for the Maggie's and save myself a lot of money.
$800 for a pair of high quality subs is theft!  :)

Personally, I found it easier to just get a good pair of floor standing speakers that can get down into the low 20's for bass response.  If they are teamed up with an amp that has a high damping factor and low impedance, one can achieve both the low frequency extension and still get good definition from the bass.   

In this case, a pair of subwoofers properly integrated is what the OP is after, which should achieve excellent sound.

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jun 2019, 05:03 pm »
I don't know how I got my reply mixed in with your reply but you get it. LOL

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jun 2019, 05:18 pm »
Will be ordering another pair of Magnepan MG1.7i as moving in few months, new home....living room 14 ft wide 22 ft length

cancelled the LRS as new room more suitable for larger panels

thanks for the replies

Dan

johnto

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:34 am »
14X22 you would even be able to get a pair of 3.7i in there if funding permits. What ever you decide I sure you're going to enjoy.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2019, 03:29 pm »
14X22 you would even be able to get a pair of 3.7i in there if funding permits. What ever you decide I sure you're going to enjoy.

Yup 3.7i for that room. save your pennies.  :)

charles

miatadan

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2019, 09:57 pm »

Yup 3.7i for that room. save your pennies.  :)

charles

Was thinking that too as well as long as McIntosh MC312 has enough power.

Dan

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2019, 11:30 pm »
I think you'll be all right.
The 1.7s will be dwarfed in that room.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2019, 01:38 am »
I say do what you, the op here, actually wants to do. Instead of what the crowd wants you to do. 
They are not paying the bill, They are not listening to it.
Only you.

steve k

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2019, 03:41 am »
+1

avta

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jun 2019, 03:59 am »
Wise advice Elizabeth