Audiophile fantasy booking

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Audiophile fantasy booking
« on: 16 Mar 2024, 06:48 am »
Anybody game for bit of audiophile fantasy booking? What we would do is fantasy book us Audio Circle members (with support from our vendors) hosting a room at an audio festival. Since our room would be "sponsored" by Audio Circle, our room name would be...

"Audio Circle: Cheap & Cheerful"

(hence, why it is posted in this section)

We will choose a particular audio festival, and build from there. We can choose other audio festivals one at a time, but we will start with what I know (the one in our nation's capitol). It will be a normal hotel room, and not any suite or dedicated space. We need leadership (room leaders - someone to open room in the morning/someone to close room at night, system leaders - setup the system {align cartridge/toe speakers set frequencies}, bunch of people to help load/unload setup/tear-down {labor}, and a bunch of people to run/represent (at least a couple of people in the room at all time). Please only "volunteer" for a particular audio fest if it is "feasible" in real life to attend. Typically, you set up on a Thursday, show Friday/Saturday/Sunday, and tear down on Sunday evening. With enough volunteers, we all can get 'er done and enjoy the show.

We can have a functional display of a sub $1000 system (something halfway extravagant, and no receivers), but the main center piece would be a truly economical "audiophile" system. We can use products from our vendors (Triode cabling, Odyssey amplifiers, HAL server, whatever).  Example: if we use Triode cabling, we just indicate that our cabling is from Triode, and to inquire directly with Pete for sales. It's understood that our Triode cabling is on loan, and to inquire with Pete for purchasing show used gear. We can use some DIY stuff, or some improvised products.

I want vinyl to be our preferred media, so bring lots of records! We will have music themed hours. Example: budget Jazz (like you were raiding the vinyl vendors downstairs) and playing/explaining the reason for the choices (like a presentation). Playing whole albums ("The Wall", etc.). Having fun and playing classic feel good music (shameless 80's synth pop, etc.). Going nuts and playing energetic electronic music. Since we are not worried about selling anything, we are not constricted in what we will play. We will play heavy metal "louder than everyone else"!

We need to put together a system. I have seen bookshelves that cost $25K-ish. We need to set a reasonable budget ($10K?, $15K?, $?). We also need to bring spare crap just in case something happens. Better to have that old high-end CD player (plus a bunch of CDs) in case HAL's server dies. Have several DACS. Extra cables. Even that old two channel amplifier. Don't forget the tools and supplies.

You get the idea. It's fantasy booking for us audiophiles. Thoughts?

mix4fix

• Volunteer
Re: Audiophile fantasy booking
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2024, 06:54 am »
I can volunteer for this show, and run the "shameless 80s hours" (pop and rock) on each day.

newzooreview

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2024, 03:06 pm »
The shows that I've been to already have areas for hobbyists to show their systems. Often these are hybrids of DIY speakers and off-the-shelf equipment. I'm not sure why a vendor would lend out equipment to be shown in a room hosted by strangers. Would they want a large audience getting a poor impression of their equipment if questions can't be answered accurately, the room is not setup well, and the equipment is not well paired? They may also have existing arrangements to share costs and cohost rooms with other vendors. And who pays the cost of the room? It varies by show, but reserving a room in the show costs money. I'm not sure I see the merits.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2024, 04:41 pm »
In our fantasy booking, we would meet a few times (local to the event) and evaluate/adjust our setup. People may already have things like Triode cabling, and Pete could loan as a matter of support.

In our fantasy booking, Audio Circle is footing the room bill only. That audio festival used to donate a room in exchange for volunteers, so it is not out of the realm of having a room to man the front desk and the like. That same room used to outshine at least most of who was presenting.

In our fantasy booking, we could use a couple of servo subwoofers, so it's not like we are going in there with crap. Our goal is to show that you don't need $1-$2 million to enjoy music properly.

Again this is fantasy booking. We'll treat this seriously (you bring a good point), but our "plan" is to go (win, lose, or draw). That's the point of this thread. It's "fantasy" booking.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2024, 04:57 pm »
For speakers I'd recommend the NX-Studios and a pair of servo subs from GR Research.  The Studios and subs are DIY so very high value, they really do compete with stuff 10x the cost.  If that's too extravagant, then I''d recommend the X-Static as a single set of semi-OB tower speakers.  Again, DIY and a cool/unique design.  Also from an AC vendor.

Cabling should be from an AC vendor.  I'd vote Hapa Audio.

Music server from HAL, his are great and very inexpensive.

Amps from Odyssey (Cyclops integrated amp is like $1100).  Also an AC vendor.

DAC - do we have a vendor that makes DACs?  We might have to go with a high value DAC from an outside vendor.  I'd vote for the Musical Paradise Tube DAC which is inexpensive, built like a tank, and sounds great.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 16 Mar 2024, 05:23 pm »
Thanks. That's what I was getting at.

We do need a pre-amplifucation that has a few inputs. As I said, I want vinyl to be our main source. I have no problem with digital,  and having that old high-end CD player as a backup.

They don't all have to be Audio Circle vendors.  But, one of our signs on the door would be:

"Audio Circle supporting vendors: Triode, Hollis, GR, Odyssey."

artur9

« Reply #6 on: 16 Mar 2024, 11:16 pm »
If it's at the nation's capitol then Philharmonic Audio may be convinced to provide some True Minis.  They even come in red, white and blue.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2024, 09:45 am »

They don't all have to be Audio Circle vendors.  But, one of our signs on the door would be:

"Audio Circle supporting vendors: Triode, Hollis, GR, Odyssey."

I like the idea of only AC sponsors, otherwise we'd have a never ending circle of suggested equipment.  Maybe a random CD player as backup, but anyone can put together a superior high end system from exclusively AC vendors without even trying hard.  Also many rooms bring two systems either switching out on different show days or one a static display.  We could have a real C and C system, under $1k total, off to the side and that would be the emergency back up components for the main display.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2024, 02:27 pm »
I want to thank those who get the idea of this experiment, and are contributing to the thread.

We have great vendors. Even though people like Salk are not producing products anymore, bringing a used pair is an option as well.

Don't forget to "volunteer" as well. We need bodies to load up and run the room including the music themed hours.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2024, 02:28 pm »
I just thought of something. New sign:

"Karma give-away this Saturday night"

Give away like we do on the Karma Circle.

1. one or two of those old CDs
2. sponsor's or related T-shirt
3. something related

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2024, 02:43 pm »
I don't think it'd be easy to put together a true C&C AudioCircle full system, but it could be close and certainly would be in line for a high value award and best sound award. This site is fantastic at catering to the 12-22% tax bracket that really values excellent sound at respectable prices. There are several different vendors here for most component options that would all make for a great setup. I would second Tyson's recommendation as I have most of that setup for my own system. Not C&C but I'm still working for The Man.

For turntable setups, WTL would be an easy fit, AVA or Modwright to give a couple flavors and price point of phono preamps. For Dac, someone could bring in an older AVA dac (and maybe encourage him to build fancy new ones  8)) or a Lampizator for a fancy $ option. Streamer I absolutely recommend the HAL MS6 as that thing is stupid good for the $.