Help choose wireless audio system for apartment

cody69

Help choose wireless audio system for apartment
« on: 27 Feb 2024, 07:47 pm »
I need help choosing a 2-channel wireless audio system for a small apartment.
Primary source will be Spotify streamed from Apple device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) using Airplay or Bluetooth.

Price range is around $500.

Initial thinking has been to go with powered speakers as there's no current need for traditional amplifier/receiver setup.
I'm out of my element in this space, so appreciate guidance and recommendations.

Mag

Re: Help choose wireless audio system for apartment
« Reply #1 on: 27 Feb 2024, 08:12 pm »
 I posted about this somewhere awhile back. You can get a Bluetooth headphone amp for $30+ whatever you want to spend. Have it connected to my PC but see no reason for it not working with a Bluetooth Smart phone. Connect this with RCA out to a Receiver/amp. Or you could go wireless powered speakers as you suggest.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2024, 10:55 pm »
Initial thinking has been to go with powered speakers as there's no current need for traditional amplifier/receiver setup.

Price range is around $500

Well that sucks, I was going to recommend Klipsch The Nines based on the enthusiastic Stereophile review but they are 3 times your budget at $1500.
  • Wired digital connection—PCM input up to 24/192—is via HDMI-ARC (audio-only HDMI, common on modern flatscreen TVs), S/PDIF optical (TosLink), and USB2 Type B.
  • Wireless connectivity is also provided, via Bluetooth 5.0 and the SBC, AAC, aptX, and aptX-HD audio codecs.
  • Two analog inputs: one L/R pair on RCA and a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo miniplug. The RCA inputs are switchable, for a line-level source or a turntable, which connects with the built-in MM phono preamp.
"Overall, the Klipsch The Nines offers superb measured performance." — John Atkinson
https://www.stereophile.com/content/klipsch-nines-integrated-loudspeaker-system

cody69

« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2024, 12:33 am »
Well that sucks, I was going to recommend Klipsch The Nines based on the enthusiastic Stereophile review but they are 3 times your budget at $1500.

Yeah, for sure. I can up the range somewhat, but not 3X's  :(
Those sound like a great choice... but not for this use case.

JCarney

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2024, 12:39 am »
Take a look at Audioengine. They have a nice selection of speakers for different uses. Prices are apiece so the A1's at $199 apiece leaves  $100 for shipping and taxes and a few bucks still in your pocket. Later if you feel the need, you could add the S6 sub. My son has a pair of A5's I believe he got years ago at RMAF and he likes them.

Good luck,
JCarney

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2024, 11:16 am »
JBL 305P Mark II for speakers.  $300 retail, often on sale for less.
Any DAC with a volume control will work as the preamp to drive the speakers, I'll suggest the Topping E30 Mark II at $150 retail, but there are I imagine hundreds of other suggestions.
Source for streaming can be any smart phone, tablet, or unused laptop.
$450 total. 
You'll need cabling from RCA to TRS for the JBL speakers, but you have $50 left over for that.

Six pages of sub $1k systems https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=111225.0

33 pages of cheap and cheerful DACs https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=152638.0

Doublej

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2024, 01:18 pm »
A few paths to consider

1. A pair of powered speakers with built in Spotify Connect. You could do this with a pair of KEF LSX II LT for $1K/pair or Amazon Echo speakers for $180/pair (when on sale). This will free you from having your phone tethered to this audio system while Spotify is playing.

2. Power speakers with AiPlay or Bluetooth. Lots of choices here including Klipsch The Fives for $579/pair at Amazon.

3. Powered speakers with an input for a streamer. Lots of choices here too including Klipsch The Fives, Kali Audio Mammoth, AudioEngine... For a streamer I would go with a WiiM Pro which has more capabilities than the WiiM Mini. Both support AirPlay and Bluetooth and are Spotify Connect endpoints.

4. Your favorite passive speakers with a small integrated amplifier with built in streaming. WiiM's $299 streaming amp is my choice here. Pick your speakers.

Remember with powered speakers you may need to run a power cord and signal cable to each speaker. This is more likely with Studio monitors than consumer focused powered speakers which tend to use a single cable from the main speaker housing all of the electronics to the second speaker.

navi

« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2024, 08:14 pm »
I need help choosing a 2-channel wireless audio system for a small apartment.
Primary source will be Spotify streamed from Apple device (iPhone, iPad, Mac) using Airplay or Bluetooth.

Price range is around $500.

I'm out of my element in this space, so appreciate guidance and recommendations.

Sonos Era.
Fills the apartment
control everything via the phone/tablet app.
Everyone can use it
Sonos Radio app is really good and free
No ugly speakers insight.

cody69

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2024, 02:03 am »
Wow, all your responses have been super helpful!

I've not stayed current with advances in wireless equipment, so these recommendations are just what I needed.

@Doublej, laying out the options as you did was really informative. Thinking these through, I'm leaning toward building a system based on separates. This way a component can easily be swapped-out, replaced or upgraded in the future if desired.

Option #4, passive speakers with small integrated amp with build-in streaming sounds great. I also like that it can be connected to a TV via HDMI or optical, to provide an improved experience for movies.

The WiiM streaming amp looks like a great value given its capabilities. Pairing this with a set of Danny's GR Research LGKs or X-LS Encore speakers should make a nice setup for my daughter's new apartment.

Thanks again for all your help.