A sugar/insulin link to obesity/diabetes/heart disease/cancer?

rpf

sugar/high fructose corn syrup as a cause of a "metabolic syndrome" that may be producing the increase in all of the above. very interesting/informative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?pagewanted=1&hp

HumanMedia

Everyone DOESN'T know this already?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013

My family tree sure as hell knows all of the above except for cancer. That doesn't seem to affect any relatives that I know about but that could be all of us fat SOB's have diabetic induced mid60's heart attacks instead. :duh:

Cheers,
Robin

ctviggen

The USDA doesn't.  That's why we still have the food pyramid.  For a critique of the "scientific basis" behind certain recommendations by the USDA, see:

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/02/04/the-new-usda-dietary-guideline/

rpf

No, unfortunately and clearly not.  :roll:  I was aware of it to some extent but this article really brought it home; with more details and evidence of just how extensive and powerful the link is.

John Casler

No, unfortunately and clearly not.  :roll:  I was aware of it to some extent but this article really brought it home; with more details and evidence of just how extensive and powerful the link is.

Excellent article and well written.  Even though some of it "may" not be right on, it is close enough that hopefully it will open some eyes.

There are a complex group of factors at work in your body including genetic markers/timeclocks, hormonal production and responses, environmental factors, and your daily dosing of food substances.

While it seems difficult to understand how these interact to produce the diseases mentioned in the article, the author has done a pretty good job of "connecting the dots".

I don't think his points are far off.

Thanks for post this.  Everyone should read it, to at least get a few ideas of a better path.

While I don't think sugar is toxic in small and reasonable amounts, it is the fact that NO ONE generally consumes small amounts.

Roy Wolford in his conclusions on aging felt that "systematic undereating" rather than systematic overeating was something to strive for.

It has a tie in relative to insulin production.  Probably the single greatest take home message is eat and exercise in such a way as to reduce insulin production in larger amounts in short periods of time (hyperinulinization).

The old "small meals" and grazing intake concepts will now begin to make sense to some.

There is far more to this than just avoiding sugars, but avoiding processed and large amounts of concentrated (like the JUICERS promote) natural sugars is likely a good strategy.

I might also add that while I don't remember the full content of the book, about 40 years ago "SUGAR BLUES" was written by William Dufty, with the precursor to this article.  Not enough listened.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
As my cardiologist put it (I had a heart attack at 34) - Sugar drives insulin, which drives small-dense LDL, which drives atherosclerosis.  It also drives up triglycerides, which are far more dangerous than previously thought.  LDL and Triglycerides should both be as low as possible, preferably under 60. 

If you want to live, avoid sugar in all of it's forms, including simple carbs (which your body converts to sugar immediately).  That means pasta, bread, cereals, fruit juices, all processed foods, all baked goods, etc... all should be avoided.  But sugar is particularly bad because of it's fructose content, and wheat is particularly bad because of it's lectin content. 

Both also drive systemic inflammation, and trust me, high LDL plus high triglycerides in a generally high-inflammatory system are conditions you do NOT want to have.

LadyDog

While I do not necessarily disagree with the article, to some of extent it really boils down to the person.  Both my Gpa and my Dad had tons of daily surgar.  Whether that be normal  daily intake for them, or the 4 or 5 bourbon and cokes they had each night, both lived to close to 98 years old.

I'm not saying you should go out and drink your liver to death, or eat 52 bags of candy each day, but the glass is not always half empty.

galyons

Both my Gpa and my Dad had tons of daily surgar.  Whether that be normal  daily intake for them, or the 4 or 5 bourbon and cokes they had each night, both lived to close to 98 years old.

Well today it not "your Grandpa's sugar".  Your Dad and Grandpa most likely had cane or beet sugar.  Today most sugar in processed food is genetically modified high fructose corn syrup or genetically modified beet sugar.  Basically about 5 huge agri-conglomerates control all of the basic food commodities for processed food, corn, wheat, soy, etc. Their "products" support the fast food industry and factory meat production. We are lining up to be slowly killed and training our kids and grandkids to go along, as well.

We will eventually realize that, like big tobacco, big agri-conglomerates are all about profits. Forget health and food safety, they are collateral damage to the profits.  The major killers of the US population will be heart disease and Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes used to be called "Adult Onset" but it is occurring in kids before their teens in epidemic proportions. All a result of the US government subsidizing the fast and processed food industries through our current policies of crop subsidies.

Read your food labels!!  Better yet, buy food locally that does not need a package upon which to put a label!!

Cheers,
Geary

coolbiz

• Não em uma caixa
In Robert H. Lustig's YouTube lecture that the NY article links to, he argues that in this context, cane sugar is just as bad as high fructose corn sirup.

Highly recommended: http://youtu.be/dBnniua6-oM

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Check this out - Sugar went from about 2% of calories to almost 20% in the last century.  Scales almost perfectly with diabetes and heart disease trends: