MPD + Roon simultaneously

zoom25

MPD + Roon simultaneously
« on: 3 May 2018, 08:18 am »
Anyone else able to do this? I just need to pause the other and I can start playing the other.

IMGUR: https://imgur.com/a/VCqswUB

zoom25

Re: MPD + Roon simultaneously
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2018, 08:50 am »
I went looking for something...let's just say this is the first time that Roon sounds almost IDENTICAL to MPD playback with WAV. Like 95%+ the same. I'm playing WAVs off a directly connected flash drive as indicated in pictures above and the same file in Roon. MPD being fed from USB drive and Roon via ethernet. Hence, the slight difference in sound, but almost identical. It's never been like that.

I want to recreate what I did when I visited the Audio Devices tab. However, I don't want to lose how this is sounding right now:

I have always ran MPD with only the AES enabled and the SPDIF disabled. I went checking to see it again today for Roon which has typically given me problems as I wasn't able to disable the SPDIF in the past. I'll explain more later...

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2018, 01:10 pm »

zoom25

« Reply #3 on: 3 May 2018, 04:35 pm »
I did check the Audio Devices and brought out my SPDIF cable. Both AES and SPDIF outputs are active when using MPD and Roon. So that's consistent between both right now. If my memory serves correctly, when you would disable outputs, there would be a red bar saying disabled? Anyways, in the picture above, the AES shows enabled while SPDIF is supposed to be disabled. They are both enabled. At least it's consistent on both.

For non-Roon users, when you have to go between Roon and MPD, it typically takes a fair bit of time to switch between the two and you can only use one at a time. If you use Roon, then MPD is disabled. If you use MPD, BDP-1 won't show up under Roon as a network player.

Right now, I can switch back and forth between MPD and Roon streams within a second.

Under the services tab, it shows both Roon and MPD turned on. However, on the front page, it shows as MPD regardless of if I'm using the Manic Moose for MPD or Roon:

Are both streams being processed by MPD?

zoom25

« Reply #4 on: 3 May 2018, 07:28 pm »
Ok, figured it out.

There was another thing that I had forgotten about from a recent change having to do with the Torus and other stuff.

Ignore.  :thumb: