New King STM owner

rockn

Re: New King STM owner
« Reply #40 on: 5 May 2020, 05:28 pm »
What I have found is it's best to just go source to STM. Take the pre out of the mix.
Sometimes I'm lazy as f__k, need my remote!

MttBsh

« Reply #41 on: 5 May 2020, 05:47 pm »

In addition, I depend on my pre for its sub outs, not sure I could connect my 2 speakers and 2 subs to the STM speaker outs. If that was possible, I might ditch the pre as the STM is an integrated pre and amp

rockn

« Reply #42 on: 5 May 2020, 07:10 pm »
In addition, I depend on my pre for its sub outs, not sure I could connect my 2 speakers and 2 subs to the STM speaker outs. If that was possible, I might ditch the pre as the STM is an integrated pre and amp
I use a Rel sub to connect to the speaker posts on STM, works great. I sometimes hook my dac balanced outputs straight to the amp, this is the best way...and then get lazy again😀

AvsFan

« Reply #43 on: 5 May 2020, 11:42 pm »

I hear ya! And I change up the genre of music real quick. So I am constantly changing the volume. I better not get used to being so lazy though because my pre-amp with no remote will be here in about a week or so. I sacrificed convenience in the name of purity and as unaltered signal as possible. We talked about a remote, but in the end decided to go without it.

AvsFan

« Reply #44 on: 5 May 2020, 11:45 pm »

Speaker level hookups. You can do that. However, I like to use line outs for my subwoofer hookups and specifically had a left and right out on my pre-amp put in just for dual subs.

rockn

« Reply #45 on: 5 May 2020, 11:54 pm »
Speaker level hookups. You can do that. However, I like to use line outs for my subwoofer hookups and specifically had a left and right out on my pre-amp put in just for dual subs.
Yes Rel has that High Level Speakon hook up that is unique from other subs.

What kind of pre are u Getting?

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486607-Class-D-Amp-Connection-Methods

rockn

« Reply #46 on: 6 May 2020, 12:00 am »

[/https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486607-Class-D-Amp-Connection-Methods

rockn

« Reply #47 on: 6 May 2020, 12:06 am »
Messed up this post, it was for MttBsh

AvsFan

« Reply #48 on: 6 May 2020, 12:54 am »
Yes Rel has that High Level Speakon hook up that is unique from other subs.

What kind of pre are u Getting?

https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486607-Class-D-Amp-Connection-Methods

It’s from a company called Pine Tree Audio. Very reasonable and a solid build. No magic bs or fairy dust. Just a straight up simple passive pre-amp. He’s a straightforward guy. Just like Tommy.  :D

rockn

« Reply #49 on: 6 May 2020, 01:05 am »
Nice, I remember seeing that now...almost matches the Cherry amp. I’m sure you’ll let us know how it sounds.🙂

MttBsh

« Reply #50 on: 6 May 2020, 01:06 am »
Messed up this post, it was for MttBsh

Hey, you didn't mess it up! I read and appreciate your post. Based on what you said I'm going to try hooking my subs and speakers up to the same binding posts on the STM, cut out the middle man (the pre)!

rockn

« Reply #51 on: 6 May 2020, 01:08 am »
Hey, you didn't mess it up! I read and appreciate your post. Based on what you said I'm going to try hooking my subs and speakers up to the same binding posts on the STM, cut out the middle man (the pre)!
Good luck!

rockn

« Reply #52 on: 6 May 2020, 01:17 am »
Be careful, it’s a little tight with those binding posts so close together. In my set up I use banana plugs for speaker and spades from the sub. And I’m using only 1 sub. Don’t want anything touching obviously 🙂

MttBsh

« Reply #53 on: 6 May 2020, 01:34 am »
Be careful, it’s a little tight with those binding posts so close together. In my set up I use banana plugs for speaker and spades from the sub. And I’m using only 1 sub. Don’t want anything touching obviously 🙂

Yeah, it is a super tight fit. If I do it I'll be extremely careful, sure don't want to blow out the amp.