Any more candela owners out there yet ?

bunky

Any more candela owners out there yet ?
« on: 25 Jun 2006, 10:16 am »
Any more Candela owners out there yet ? i know that Rosconey got the original prototype. does anyone have an ETA of when the first production versions will ship ? or have some of them shipped already ? thanks....WCW III

ezza8

Re: Any more candela owners out there yet ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2006, 12:39 am »
Last I heard from Klaus was last week. Said he would be on vacation for a week.

News was that my Candela will be shipping 30 June  :lol:

Anyone notice that the odysseyaudio website completely down? With that, his normal email address is also bouncing  :(

Eugene2

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2006, 02:25 am »
Noticed it also, ordered extreme monoblocs and sent an email for info on Candela, the email bounced.  Went to website and it was down.  Hopefully just technical issues..

bunky

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2006, 09:14 pm »
Noticed it also, ordered extreme monoblocs and sent an email for info on Candela, the email bounced.  Went to website and it was down.  Hopefully just technical issues..
Klaus has been threatening to update the Odyssey website for several years :icon_lol:? i have never tried to E-mail Klaus. i always talk directly to the man himself! thanks....WCW III

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jun 2006, 09:28 pm »
server is down talked to klaus earlier today-

hey ezza get some tubes before it arrives-the stock ones dont do it justice- ive had good luck with ge tubes

djbnh

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2006, 10:29 am »
FYI - website is back up now.

ezza8

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2006, 10:58 am »
server is down talked to klaus earlier today-

hey ezza get some tubes before it arrives-the stock ones dont do it justice- ive had good luck with ge tubes

Thanks rosconey! I will start doing a little search for ge tubes. Any suggestions on the best place to source them?

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jun 2006, 11:47 am »
ive had goodluck with ebay-
heard good about the tube depot

Eugene2

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jun 2006, 03:18 pm »
Just checked site still showing message "no website configured at this address," and emails still bouncing.  I guess Klaus will post message on Candela preamp when site is back up.  I wonder how it will fair against the Van Alstine preamps?

djbnh

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2006, 10:10 pm »
Just checked site still showing message "no website configured at this address," and emails still bouncing.  I guess Klaus will post message on Candela preamp when site is back up.  I wonder how it will fair against the Van Alstine preamps?

Eugene2,

I checked the site: after reading your post yesterday, this morning before heading off to work, and this evening. It's been up all three times...

lazydays

« Reply #10 on: 2 Jul 2006, 02:55 pm »
well if all goes as planned I'll be picking my new Candela in about two weeks (fingers are crossed).
Finally have the big arc welders broken in, and I'm gonna flatly say that I'm astounded! But not in the way most of you are. I broke them in by driving a pair of Polt RT 800's from my home theater system. Never liked those speakers all that well as they seemed tobe somewhat "cloudy" in sound production, and a little slow. Boy has that changed! Thought it was just me, but they actually are listenable. I now find that my sons are comming over in the middle of the night to listen to them.
So very, very soon I'll be setting them up right behind a pair of Meadowlark hotrods. Have enough new LP's to keep me busy for two weeks of listening!
     Now please allow me to chime in here with another question. It really took me well over a month to get the big amps to sound as good as they do now, so what kind of break in time can I expect to endure with my new preamp? I did pick up some Brimar tubes as one gentelman suggested, and the next question is how long did you break the preamp in before adding the Brimar tubes? What interconnects are you using? I'll probably start out with a nice pair of Synergistics IC's and a pair of Cardas speaker cables I'm very very fond of.
gary

bunky

« Reply #11 on: 3 Jul 2006, 08:43 pm »
well if all goes as planned I'll be picking my new Candela in about two weeks (fingers are crossed).
Finally have the big arc welders broken in, and I'm gonna flatly say that I'm astounded! But not in the way most of you are. I broke them in by driving a pair of Polt RT 800's from my home theater system. Never liked those speakers all that well as they seemed tobe somewhat "cloudy" in sound production, and a little slow. Boy has that changed! Thought it was just me, but they actually are listenable. I now find that my sons are comming over in the middle of the night to listen to them.
So very, very soon I'll be setting them up right behind a pair of Meadowlark hotrods. Have enough new LP's to keep me busy for two weeks of listening!
     Now please allow me to chime in here with another question. It really took me well over a month to get the big amps to sound as good as they do now, so what kind of break in time can I expect to endure with my new preamp? I did pick up some Brimar tubes as one gentelman suggested, and the next question is how long did you break the preamp in before adding the Brimar tubes? What interconnects are you using? I'll probably start out with a nice pair of Synergistics IC's and a pair of Cardas speaker cables I'm very very fond of.
gary
Your mono extremes should continue to improve even further over the next few months.Groneberg TS premium IC and speaker cables are wonderful when paired with the Odyssey/Symphonic Line gear. good luck with your cable choices.thanks....WCW III

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 3 Jul 2006, 11:20 pm »
well the brimars didnt last-after about 20 hrs they went microphonic-
very disapointed-

the used hamond organ tubes used for 40 some years are still going and going-cost quite a bit less and sound better-

so far the ge tubes sound best of the few ive tried-looking for some used rca clear tops too try right now-

cant say about breakin-there isnt a whole lot of parts- i would run -50 hrs or so onthe stock tubes get a idea of the sound and swap in the new ones-

Doug_B

« Reply #13 on: 4 Jul 2006, 12:25 am »
Rosconey,

If you don't mind the digression, I own a few CDPs that have tube output stages, but I'm not familiar with how to tell when my tubes are / have become microphonic. I'm particularly interested as one of these units has had some problems. I also think one of my pairs of tubes' pins can use a cleaning (and maybe the associated sockets as well?)

Thanks.

Doug

rosconey

« Reply #14 on: 4 Jul 2006, 01:30 am »
lightly tap the unit and the sound goes thru the speakers-
so far they are the only ones to do it-did a search at aa and found others(brimars) with the same issue

cant mention audio asylum as aa i guess

also had a bad tube that sounded like the ocean or a wind storm type of noise

lazydays

« Reply #15 on: 4 Jul 2006, 06:04 am »
well the brimars didnt last-after about 20 hrs they went microphonic-
very disapointed-

the used hamond organ tubes used for 40 some years are still going and going-cost quite a bit less and sound better-

so far the ge tubes sound best of the few ive tried-looking for some used rca clear tops too try right now-

cant say about breakin-there isnt a whole lot of parts- i would run -50 hrs or so onthe stock tubes get a idea of the sound and swap in the new ones-

that's nice as I picked up a quad set of Brimars! Lets see I have several pairs of Electro Harminexs, maybe a couple pairs of Sylvania black plates, and at least two pairs of GE's. Plus several matched pairs of 12AX7's and 5751's. I guess what I really need todo is to take a complete inventory just to see what's in those storage boxes.
gary

Doug_B

« Reply #16 on: 4 Jul 2006, 07:16 am »
lightly tap the unit and the sound goes thru the speakers
OK. I had this happen with one fairly recently purchased pair of tubes in one CDP, but this was not reproducible in the other CDP. The pair of tubes that came with the CDP in question (which look like the pins can use a cleaning) exhibited some but not as pronounced behavior in that CDP. The pins have some play in this CDP's sockets, and not putting the pins in exactly vertically seems to exacerbate the problem.

Doug

BobC

« Reply #17 on: 5 Jul 2006, 04:46 pm »

Gary,

Is your Candela the new (final) chassis or the prototype Etesian based chassis?  Have any pics of the new version?

Thanks, Bob

ezza8

« Reply #18 on: 6 Jul 2006, 03:32 am »
Spoke to Klaus, and the chassis is based on the Tempest. Shipping delayed a week or so for mine.

Have sourced the GE, Hammonds, Brimars tubes as rosconey has suggested. Now can't wait ! 8)

lazydays

« Reply #19 on: 6 Jul 2006, 04:18 pm »

Gary,

Is your Candela the new (final) chassis or the prototype Etesian based chassis?  Have any pics of the new version?

Thanks, Bob

I don't know yet, as I have not seen it. Klaus told me the middle of July, and that's comming up fast. I'd assume it's going to be the chassis.
gary