MONO EXTREMES

mgalusha

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #20 on: 12 Jan 2006, 08:16 pm »
I have one of, if not the first production pair of Mono Extreme's. They are very happy in my basement. Though they don't have all the latest factory tweaks, I have made some changes to them and they sound very nice indeed. These amps aren't going anywhere. :)

Bob A (SD)

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #21 on: 22 Jan 2006, 03:40 am »
I'm getting close to a decision to upgrade my monos to extremes.  If I can swing things I'd be looking at dropping them off with Klaus late this summer and hopefully picking them up two weeks later :)

Radiator

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #22 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:30 pm »
Quote from: byteme

Radiator, if you want some tubes in there check the deHavilland premaps.  LOVELY stuff - I've got the Ultraverve and absolutely love it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have looked at the them on the web...look very cool.  I've been leaning toward the Modwright, though basically a hybrid tube/SS, seems quite a few folks are pleased with the performance when paired with the extremes.  

Kinda starting out in this high end audio stuff....trying to be patient.... :x

byteme

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #23 on: 23 Jan 2006, 03:50 pm »
Quote from: Radiator

Radiator, if you want some tubes in there check the deHavilland premaps.  LOVELY stuff - I've got the Ultraverve and absolutely love it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have looked at the them on the web...look very cool.  I've been leaning toward the Modwright, though basically a hybrid tube/SS, seems quite a few folks are pleased with the performance when paired with the extremes.  

Kinda starting out in this high end audio stuff....trying to be patient.... :x

I've heard great things about the Modwright as well, although, I've never heard one.  Patience is tough - it took me about 2 years to go from my first Stratos Extreme to adding the deHavilland to adding the Lors and then finally doing the Mono Extreme upgrade.  I'm very happy now and my system has been stable for over a year!!

Captain Humble

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #24 on: 23 Jan 2006, 04:31 pm »
I've heard great things about the Modwright as well, although, I've never heard one. Patience is tough - it took me about 2 years to go from my first Stratos Extreme to adding the deHavilland to adding the Lors and then finally doing the Mono Extreme upgrade. I'm very happy now and my system has been stable for over a year!!
I had Lonewolf's Modwright in my system and it was amazing.

I then heard the Dodd Audio preamp at RMAF.
Gary Dodd lives about 20 minutes from me so I borrowed the show preamp for a week.  It was just as amazing as the Modwright.  I went with the Dodd and hope to have it in a couple of weeks.  Just another option.

BobC

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #25 on: 23 Jan 2006, 04:44 pm »
I too have a pair of Mono Extreme's.  They drive my Martin Logan Ascent i's with ease  :D

mpauly

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #26 on: 23 Jan 2006, 06:49 pm »
Quote from: Captain Humble
I had Lonewolf's Modwright in my system and it was amazing.

I then heard the Dodd Audio preamp at RMAF.
Gary Dodd lives about 20 minutes from me so I borrowed the show preamp for a week.  It was just as amazing as the Modwright.  I went with the Dodd and hope to have it in a couple of weeks.  Just another option.

Which dodd pre-amp are you comparing here?  The entry, mid or reference?

I was really interested in some of Dodd's products, but I think they have gone to a dealer network now (not 100% sure) and the prices on their website have skyrocketed.  Puts them out of my pricerange.  Still hoping to find something used.

Captain Humble

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #27 on: 23 Jan 2006, 07:46 pm »
Which dodd pre-amp are you comparing here? The entry, mid or reference?
I had the mid-level pre in my system.  marvda1 has the entry level.  very good reports on it.

Radiator

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #28 on: 24 Jan 2006, 02:44 pm »
Patience is tough - it took me about 2 years to go from my first Stratos Extreme to adding the deHavilland to adding the Lors and then finally doing the Mono Extreme upgrade.

Tough indeed.  I bought my VMPS RM2s about 6 years ago.  Thought a great set of speakers paired with my Yamaha integrated would be enough.  And it was...for awhile.  Started looking into high end stuff, and someone turned me to audiogon.  About a week later, B stock extremes were for sale, and I jumped on them after reading about how desirable they were.  Bought them unheard.  But now, when considering preamps and a possible CD source, I am not as willing to buy thousand dollar plus components without hearing them.  And this stuff we are talking about isn't all that common in the real, non-audiophile world. :lol:   But, I'm not quite ready for it, so I am biding my time....

Captain Humble, thanks for the Dodd suggestion.  Pricing is a bit higher than the Modwright, but their midrange preamp is in the ballpark.  And sometimes they make the MSRP a bit higher when they go to a dealer network to give the dealers some wiggle room on the price....or so I've been told....

mdhoover

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2006, 04:51 pm »
I too own a pair of Odyssey Mono Extremes--and a Tempest Extreme Preamp. Klause has been very good to me. {{{I was very strongly considering auditioning the Loreleis, but had heard a different speaker that I found to be satisfactory in the local high end audio store, and I didn't want to mess around doing a shootout in my house between the two brands.  I bought the other speakers, which are Intuitive Design Summits, also a two way with a soft dome tweeter, but with a different crossover design.  A Rel Storm 3 supplements the lowest of the low end bass. The system as a whole sounds spectacularly wonderful--far beyond even my wildest and most ridiculously unrealistic expectations.}}}

LFE

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #30 on: 1 Feb 2006, 08:32 pm »
You can add me to the list now! AMAZING AMPS!

Doug_B

Cost of Upgrade
« Reply #31 on: 8 Feb 2006, 04:00 pm »
Does anyone have rough costs for upgrading from a Stereo Stratos w cap upgrade to:

a) Dual Mono
b) Mono Pair
c) Mono Extreme Pair

Like to have an idea before calling Klaus (and it may impact if I call him at all - money not flowing in as much as I'd like).

Thanks.

Doug

byteme

Re: Cost of Upgrade
« Reply #32 on: 8 Feb 2006, 04:24 pm »
Quote from: Doug_B
Does anyone have rough costs for upgrading from a Stereo Stratos w cap upgrade to:

a) Dual Mono
b) Mono Pair
c) Mono Extreme Pair

Like to have an idea before calling Klaus (and it may impact if I call him at all - money not flowing in as much as I'd like).

Thanks.

Doug

I went from Stereo extreme to mono extreme pair.  Stereo extreme needed to be updated to red board.  It cost me about $200 for the upgrade to mono extreme and board and about $1300 for the other mono extreme.

Mijknarf

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #33 on: 19 Feb 2006, 07:14 am »
I'm new to AudioCircle and I just moved to Odyssey Extreme Monos, just fantastic amps.  Previous amps included Krell, Pass Labs, Manley, Cary.  Extreme's are mated with a ModWright SWL 9.0SE pre and a Jolida JD100 CDP.  Glad to be here!

bunky

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #34 on: 19 Feb 2006, 10:24 am »
Quote from: Mijknarf
I'm new to AudioCircle and I just moved to Odyssey Extreme Monos, just fantastic amps.  Previous amps included Krell, Pass Labs, Manley, Cary.  Extreme's are mated with a ModWright SWL 9.0SE pre and a Jolida JD100 CDP.  Glad to be here!
Welcome aboard, klaus is one of a kind and his amplifiers are world class. how long have you been running the mono extremes in your system?.thanks....WCW III

pfradale

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #35 on: 19 Feb 2006, 10:26 am »
Welcome!   :)

Mijknarf

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #36 on: 19 Feb 2006, 01:30 pm »
I bought the Extremes used on Audiogon.  The seller was the original owner and had them about 18 months.  They've been in my system for about two weeks.  I recently moved from tube amps driven direct from my CDP to a tube CDP, tube pre and the Extremes.  I maintained the sweetness of tubes and added some authority (body) with the pre amp and SS amps.  I see what you guys are talking about with these amps, very impressive.

ss397

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #37 on: 8 Mar 2006, 06:47 pm »
i recently bought a pair of extreme monoblocks used on audiogon. i will not be able to put them into my system until after i complete a move in may. i am looking forward to enjoying the enthusiasm you guys have soon.

F-100

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #38 on: 8 Mar 2006, 08:01 pm »
With all the hola-hoop and high price tag$$$ on those "amp du jour" switching amplifier, it make the Extreme Mono look like a bargain in my opinion.

mgalusha

MONO EXTREMES
« Reply #39 on: 9 Mar 2006, 03:51 am »
Quote from: F-100
With all the hola-hoop and high price tag$$$ on those "amp du jour" switching amplifier, it make the Extreme Mono look like a bargain in my opinion.

Amen to that.  :singing: