New Stratos owner with Great Comments

krobertschile

« on: 3 Mar 2006, 12:42 am »
Hello Fellow Audio Fans,
I would like to express my enthusiasm for my new Stratos Plus Amp, built with loving care by Herr Klaus!  It sounds great, and while burn-in is going well-2 weeks with constant playing, I couldn't be happier!

Through lots of reading, and a couple of talks with Klaus, I made the jump with confidence into the "Odyssey family" knowing that no matter what I was in good hands.  Klaus has been a pleasure to work with, and his product is getting better every day.  Each night, I sit down to smell the roses and hear the evolution as the amp opens up.  Right off the bat, the amp sounded better than my fading Counterpoint Solid 1E.

I am running a Shanling T100 direct to the amp, with Analysis Plus Silver speaker cables to Amphion Argon2 's.  It sounds really beautiful, with great harmonic structure, detail and depth.  Thanks Klaus!

A piece of warning!! ---I had an electrician friend come to the house today to measure current, voltage etc, and I had a big grounding problem!  The ground that I had instaled was not discharging into the earth, so I had 20 volts peak-10 volts constant bouncing around in the neutral phase.  Long term damage could surely result.  Beware fellow audio fans about this in your house!  A simple volt meter plugged into the neutral and ground phase shows this problem.  I even burned a voice coil in one woofer I believe caused by this and/or a failing amp (Counterpoint). The amp may have been damaged by this ground problem...

Best Regards,
Kevin Roberts

Doublej

« Reply #1 on: 3 Mar 2006, 12:49 am »
Can you elaborate on how one would use a voltmeter to check for grounding problems?

Thanks

nelamvr6

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2006, 12:58 am »
Quote from: Doublej
Can you elaborate on how one would use a voltmeter to check for grounding problems?

Thanks

Voltage between any ground and any other "ground" should be zero.

A great place to check for actual earth is your water pipes.

Voltage between your electrical ground and your water pipes should be zero.

mtodde

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2006, 01:09 am »
Congrats!  I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Stratos.

My Stratos & Tempest Extreme should ship around the 20th.

krobertschile

Checking Grounding for your house
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2006, 02:00 am »
Hello Everyone!
I had been experiencing weird woofer movements since I connected my Shanling T100, early last year.  In weird, I mean that the woofers would extend or retract without any noticeable sound being emitted...soft music with huge cone movements.  I live in the countryside, 25km  outside the major city, and we use electric pumps to pump water from the well to the tank, then another to pressurize house and sprinkler system.  Obviously the pumps were causing havoc!  Moreover the ground for them, Cooper (sp?)rods next to well was not discharging into the earth, nor was the ground next to the house discharging!  We fixed the ground problem temporarily, by linking the neutral phase to the ground wires, next to the grounding rods.  Next week we will make a definitive correction, as well as reinstall the pump lines seperately from the house.
As a response stated, the voltage in the neutral phase should be zero, a little spike here and there is normal, especially with high consuming artifacts (pumps..turbo charged Stratos Extremes with Nitrous oxide injection etc...hahaha!) or so my electrician friend says.  You can measure this by setting your meter to a small voltage scale, say  up to 10 volts, then testing the sockets using the ground prong and the neutral (which does not show 110volts or in my case 220).  Turn on something huge like hairdryer, microwave etc and see what happens.

I had talked to Klaus about this, and he of course said not to worry, but to keep it plugged into the wall.  Since he went to Germany I didn't want to bother him, and of course he will be swamped with work now!  The automatic circuit protection in the Stratos cuts off sound, when the big pump goes on as the voltage drop is too much.  Since I cannot not afford to send the amp back for repairs, and certainly don't want to make him respond on his 20 year guarantee, I am checking everything, and will probably be putting a 1200 watt or so (any suggestions?) voltage stabilizer with filters on the line just to maintain everything healthy.  Now if it doesn't sound as good after that...I may commit sepuku!
Saludos!
Kevin

krobertschile

Next Chapter Electric Problems
« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2006, 02:46 am »
Hi Everybody,
Well, yesterday we finished putting in the new grounding spikes etc, isolating the pumps from the house supply.  We installed a dedicated line, 16 amp for my stereo, on THHN 12 cable..have no idea what that corresponds to in N.America.
Unfortunately, I had to turn off my stereo to do that.
I hope I don't have to start all over the burn in...just a joke.
I do hear 2 or 3 steps back in quality of soundstage and even-ness in frequences (sp), not as open and even sounding.  
The big moment came, when we broke out the digital voltmeter, drum-roll please................177volts!!!  It should be 220volts.  What the..........!#@|
With my entire house lit up like a christmas tree, all 3 pumps going, me standing on 1 leg jumping up and down, plus my dogs barking, I register 177 volts and 23 amps...that is 20% off what the voltage should be.  That is like you guys/gals having 88 volts.  I fear that I am in for some trouble ahead with my Stratos, and my Shanling t-100, B & W sub, and probably a fight or two with my wife, for actually caring so much about my stereo equipment.
I called the power company, and they came to measure.  As Murphy's law dictates, they came at 12:30 am, and the voltage was fine...on their side of the pole, 228 volts.  Not too much activity on the grid at 1 AM!!!
What do I do, besides move back to the USA, or shoot myself to avoid the upcoming fight with the electric company?
Suggestions please!

Kevin Roberts

TjMV3

« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2006, 04:21 pm »
Kevin,  

Call your electric company and thank them for utilizing the wisdom of testing your incoming voltage between 12:00 AM 1:00 AM.  Then,  insist that they (The Electric Company) bill you only for the monthly average amount of electricity used in your home,  between 12:00 AM and 1:00 AM. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Wonder how they'll respond to that request :mrgreen:

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2006, 04:30 pm »
Hello Kevin, do you write spanish ?

Would you mind to share yor opinions with some folks in some of my mexican web forums ?

You got a PM