Tempest Extreme

philltubes

Tempest Extreme
« on: 7 Oct 2005, 10:02 pm »
Does the latest version of the Tempest Extreme use a red board, same as the Stratos, or is the green board still used.  Thanks.

Sonny

Re: Tempest Extreme
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2005, 10:13 pm »
Quote from: philltubes
Does the latest version of the Tempest Extreme use a red board, same as the Stratos, or is the green board still used.  Thanks.

I have the extreme, but can't remember if its red or green...
I guess, what does that really matter unless there is a difference...

I love mine all the same.

Sonny

philltubes

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2005, 10:18 pm »
The red board in the Stratos is supposed to be an improvement over the green board.  Logic follows that a red board in the extreme tempest would be an improvemnt over the green.

jkm

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2005, 10:45 pm »
I asked Klaus and he said he only uses Red boards now. How would one check though? I just received my Tempest Extreme on Monday.

bunky

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2005, 01:16 am »
Quote from: James K-M
I asked Klaus and he said he only uses Red boards now. How would one check though? I just received my Tempest Extreme on Monday.
hi James, just take a look under the Hood!

jkm

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #5 on: 8 Oct 2005, 11:37 pm »
Thanks, I was hoping it was that simple. Thought red and green might be tech talk.

TjMV3

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #6 on: 9 Oct 2005, 02:35 pm »
I just bought a Tempest Extreme a few months agao,  and mine has the green board.  I don't know that it makes all that much of a difference.

Is there any difference in quality of the actual boards themselves,  or is just an aesthetic difference?

rosconey

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2005, 04:14 pm »
slightly dif phono section thats about it-if you enjoy vinyl its slightly better
-thats what klaus told me

klaus@odyssey

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2005, 03:02 pm »
Nope,

Red boards are for amps only,  all pre amps have green boards, including the Symphonic Line boards from Germany.

BobC

Difference between red and green?
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2005, 04:04 pm »
Can someone educate me as to the difference between the boards?  How much would an upgrade from green to red on Extreme Mono's cost and is it worth it?

Thanks!

Sonny

Re: Difference between red and green?
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2005, 04:39 pm »
Quote from: BobC
Can someone educate me as to the difference between the boards?  How much would an upgrade from green to red on Extreme Mono's cost and is it worth it?

Thanks!

BOB, the main difference you're going to get from Green to Red board is the Phono stage...its much quieter than the green board and basically is the symphonic line board...
Do you have the extreme version already? but just with the green board?
Sonny

BobC

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2005, 06:36 pm »
Sonny, yes I have the extreme monos with green boards.  I dont have the tempest pre.  So guess my question is the difference between green and red wrt amp performance.

Thanks!

Sonny

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2005, 06:42 pm »
Sonny, yes I have the extreme monos with green boards.  I dont have the tempest pre.  So guess my question is the difference between green and red wrt amp performance.

Thanks!

Ah...
Sorry for my confusion...I have the Red Boards on the Xtreme monos and used to have the green one, I didn't hear a difference or anything...the red is supposed to be new, that's all I think...but call klaus, he'll tell you.
S

bunky

Re: Difference between red and green?
« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2005, 08:12 pm »

Thanks!
i believe that Karl DL gave a detailed rundown of the differences between the green and red boards in one of his previous posts. i would check Karls posts because he is a extremely sharp fellow when it comes to electronics and he has visually disected the Odyssey gear including the Stratos ,Tempest and mono Extremes. he is a very bright guy. thanks....WCW III

BobC

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2005, 03:23 am »
Thanks for the tip!  I'll search.

Randy

no diff.
« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2005, 01:10 pm »
Klaus told me in Denver that there is no difference between the red and green boards in mono extremes except the color, obviously.

bunky

Tempest Extreme
« Reply #16 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:20 pm »
Karl DL wrote, red boards look more "contemporary", green are "retro"   my old stratos got the red board treatment when it was matched to a new, second unit recently. curiosity got the better of me, so i opened it up and went looking for changes. the drivers were changed(2SD17623A & 2SB1186A to 2SC4793 & 2SA1837) pre drivers changed (2SA1124 & 2SC2482 to 2SC4793 & 2SA1837) and the operating point of the input stage was changed (quiescent collector currents increased by a factor of 250 %) the drivers base resistors were increased, which shifts the bias voltages around a little between driver and pre driver bias and offset potentiometers were changed from single turn to ten turns which makes thier adjustment much easier ( for Odyssey and us tweakers) not having red and green in the same space at the same time, i cant say anything comparatively about thier sonics. i was happy with the green and now i am happy with the red.     Karl