Fedex Destroyed My Odyssey Extreme Monos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corwin99

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I am so mad right now.. I wanna just dropkick the damn courier into something really painful. :evil:

byteme

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 03:37 am »
I feel your pain.  After an unusually long lead time I returned from a business trip to find that UPS had done a similar number on my Lorelie's.  They handled them so poorly they actually ripped the crossovers from the base of the speakers.  

That sucks man!  Hopefully whoever Klaus uses to ship mine will treat them more gently!

Klaus will take care of you though - not that that's any consolation right now.  This sucks man.  I've been there.  I've even got pics in the gallery to remind me.

What can brown destroy for you today...

corwin99

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:03 am »
I talked to Klaus, and he said he'd ship me some new boards with the money that I should be able to get back from Insurance. I bought these second hand from another guy on here, so now i get some nice new boards, but there's still a medium sized ding on the outside of the amp that will never be fixed. Ah well such is life. let's hope fedex gives me the insurance money.

I'm actually feeling a little better now but everything is working against me... argh.

RichWenzel

sorry to hear that
« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:38 am »
the other day, i got my triangles...now mind you i had not had speakers for 6 months (long story) and basically hadnt listened to music...

when my speakers came, the little warhead cones in the horn tweeter were not there...now in a couple of days everything was fixed...but i was in pain... i was so excited to hear music again...

not comparing my story to yours...but i understand how you feel, and you have my sympathy.

Rich

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:41 am »
Hey nelson...

That is just the worst feeling when it comes to audio.  Waiting for something special to arrive and the shippers just wasted all that time by not being careful.

I sold my old sunfire subwoofer back in October of last year.  UPS destroyed it.  I waited three months for a refund (as did the buyer who patiently waited) and finally got $40 more than I had sold it for.  I gave the whole check to the guy who bought them b/c he'd already paid me.  Plus I gave him another $30 to cover return shipping of the broken woofer parts.

He never returned them to me. :x so I'm out $30...

I want my $2.00!!

corwin99

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:04 am »
Rich,
Wow..  6 months no music? I think your story must be worse than mine... i mean at least i have a stereo stratos and a whole wack of other amps kicking around here that i can listen to.

Ryan,
Man it sounds like everyone has had similar experiences.. i guess with these Monos they're something i really really wanted.. and the most i've spent on an amp. ... one of the boxes looked like someone stuck a pole through it and hit the side of the amp. The other one has something funky wiht the power switch.. like goo got in it or something.. not sure how that one happened. that sucks that the guy never sent back the parts.. maybe he fixed it and made a second one!

Anyway, Hopefully fedex doesn't hold it for too long and i can get it fixed up ASAP.. no sense in brooding now.. as much as i dont feel like filling cable orders right now (i'd rather wallow in self-pity) i have a TON of them to do... back to work! I just have to remember that there are kids starving in africa and people far worse off than i am... I just donated the money from my tsunami auction to red cross.. feels good :)

-neL

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:32 am »
right on nelson!

I'm doing an auction for the tsunami victims too in a bit here.  I hope you get your amps replaced quickly as that is a nice purchase.  Great amps really.  Really great amps.  They'll need some break-in time too;  Just not another session of break in from the FedEx guys!
:lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol: sorry that wasnt' funny  :cry:

Yeah I figure that guy made himself a second sunfire! :?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:44 am »
Why is it that I "mainly" read about Odyssey equipement getting trashed in transit ???? Could there be a problem with the way it's boxed ??? I don't know....... :?  :?  :?

rosconey

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:27 am »
its a crap shoot no matter who ships or what is shipped or who delivers-
heck my first monos were left in a snow bank ,the second set were left in the rain-i keep my garage open so when it comes they can just put it inside the door safe and dry :lol: -

corwin99

« Reply #9 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:58 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
heck my first monos were left in a snow bank ,the second set were left in the rain

jeez! The Extreme Monos must be a jinxed amp!... Maybe with the amps being 71lbs Klaus could consider shipping in a wooden crate? Hmm.. welp, as long as i have a couple of working amps i am a happy camper!

when i opened them up to see what was bouncing around inside the amps, i realized why these things are so heavy.. the transformer stack is HUGE.

Ryan, ah.. yes that's right i remember our mutual friend mentioning that he told you about the tsunami auction. Looks like i will have to break them in this time since they will have new boards (i'm trying not to assume everything will work out and i will get new boards, since it could all go to crap)

-neL

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:25 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
its a crap shoot no matter who ships or what is shipped or who delivers-
heck my first monos were left in a snow bank ,the second set were left in the rain-i keep my garage open so when it comes they can just put it inside the door safe and dry :lol: -

left in the snowbank?!!?  Left  outside in the rain!!!??!!??

I'm glad we bought a house with a porch!!
:wink:

I almost forgot to mention the time I sold my Osiris speaker stands...it looked like they tossed the box out the back of the truck at 60mph!@!!

Luckily just the top plate had snapped off and only a bit of the powdercoat finish was ruined.  I just welded the top plate back on, took the emblem off, and had the local powercoat guys sandblast and re-powder coat the whole thing.  It actually turned out better than new as I really welded that top plate on better than they did orginally.

Well Nelson, I hope the new boards arrive and things work out.

Anton

« Reply #11 on: 23 Feb 2005, 09:58 pm »
If I may suggest...

When I bought my latest gear (speakers) I hade them shipped via Bax Air. These people are used by Limognes porcelain ware because they are extremely careful.

Happy listening!

Sonny

Shipping
« Reply #12 on: 23 Feb 2005, 10:34 pm »
BAX Air is great, however, you have to be a business to do this.  Its a Business to Business Service.  I believe.

Anton

« Reply #13 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:14 pm »
Sonny:
I don't know about that. But I got my speakers from the manufacturer delivered to my house by Bax Air.

pfradale

« Reply #14 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:20 pm »
BAX also delivered the components for my DIY speakers, from Lambda Acoustics.

mr_bill

« Reply #15 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:23 pm »
Were they shipped in the original boxes and packing?   I had a similiar experience but the PS Audio P600 I purchased was not packed in the orignal shipping containers and I learned a lesson on that one.

corwin99

« Reply #16 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:26 pm »
mr bill, if your question is directed at me, then yes.. they are in the original packaging... but the cardboard could not withstand the item that pierced through it and into the heatsink causing the resistors on the board to come break off... I think the only way that would have been prevented was if there was a reinforcing sheet there like in the back and on the front corners or if this was shipped in a crate.

TjMV3

« Reply #17 on: 24 Feb 2005, 03:36 am »
I have spoken to a few people who have said DHL is much better than FEDEX or UPS.

Supposedly,  they are much better with their handling and treatment of packages.  These guys I spoke with praised DHL and they both had used DHL extensively for shipping Audio gear,  which included heavy power amps.

I haven't tried them (DHL)  myself,  but I'm  considering asking Klaus,  when I order my Mono Extremes,  if he would use DHL;  even if I have to paymore money for the shipping.

It's something to look into.

mr_bill

« Reply #18 on: 24 Feb 2005, 03:42 am »
Ouch Corwin!!
I do feel for you.  It's sad that you can't even trust that a package will be shipped without getting damaged.  
I hope that the shipper resolves this for you.

Cmarnett

« Reply #19 on: 24 Feb 2005, 05:26 am »
A word of advice to all who might have the misfortune of experiencing shipping damage. Document all damage with photographs, particularly of the box.  Last year FedEx smashed up a Tempest pretty good for me.  It looked like they were playing football with the package and someone scored a touchdown and spiked it. The unit was completely destroyed.  Anyway, to make a long story short I filed an insurance claim and sent the package to a FedEx inspection facility.  After 3 weeks of calling my claims agent continually I was finally told they were not going to pay the claim because the inspectors found no damage to the shipping carton (total B.S.!).  I send the agent a rather nasty e-mail correspondence with very detailed pictures of the damage to the box and the unit.  After they received the photographs they quickly changed their tune and decided to pay the claim.  Without the photos I would have likely had to take legal action.  Hopefully others have not and will not experience the unethical treatment that I received.