Help setting up Omega/Decware system

mcanaday

Help setting up Omega/Decware system
« on: 2 Mar 2019, 12:01 pm »
Hello all-

I know that Decware is a frequent match with Omega speakers.  I’m setting up a nearfield (desktop) system, and trying to decide between the Super Zen Triode amp (SE84UFO2) and the 25th anniversary model (SE84UFO25).  The latter is a big jump in price, and I wondered if anyone here has heard it with their Omega speakers.  I’m leaning toward staying with the less expensive model.  (Speakers with be the Super 3i.)

Thoughts?

With thanks-

Margot

OzarkTom

Re: Help setting up Omega/Decware system
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2019, 12:51 pm »
For a desktop system, I would go less. For a main system, the anniversary.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2019, 01:53 pm »
Unless you're set on Decware, you might look at the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp. I used one with the Super 3i speakers and thought it worked very well. Of course there is the build process; great fun if you like the DIY aspect.

About half the price: https://bottlehead.com/product/single-ended-experimenters-kit-3-for-headphones-sensitive-speakers/

nature boy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2019, 04:05 pm »
Margot,

For a desktop system I would suggest the SE84UFO (single ended) or SE84UFO2 (XLR balanced). They either will give you great results.

AND you get a lifetime warranty on either amp.

NB
« Last Edit: 2 Mar 2019, 08:30 pm by nature boy »

FireGuy

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2019, 05:46 pm »
Another option:  Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3  Class A SE

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

guillaume bougard

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2019, 08:14 pm »
A very good and waaaaaay cheaper alternative is the desktop amp by Audioengine. No tubes, sure, but sure sounds very nice.

Doodlebum

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2019, 11:36 pm »
I have the ufo2 with omega jr 8. Love it! I sent it back to Decware for the bypass cap mods, I also have a 25th ordered ( I have three Decware rooms) so I will soon be able to compare the two amps. If I were on a tighter budget, I'd get the ufo2 with the 25th mods.

jmolsberg

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2019, 12:36 am »
^ please let us know how the bypass cap mod (ufo2) sounds? enquiring ears would love to know! that 25th is so special, congrats!

mcanaday

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2019, 02:32 am »
Thanks, everyone.  Doodlebum, I would definitely love to know how the two amps compare!  Also, is the 25th anniversary mods the “beeswax bypass mod” for $260?  Or something else? 

Have you rolled tubes with your UFO2 or do you use the stock tubes?

Thanks! Margot

Doodlebum

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2019, 09:58 pm »
Yes, the mods consist of the cap bypass only which cost $260 plus $100, then add shipping. Mine will have been out three weeks on 3-6, hope to hear something this week.
I use the stock output tubes. Just got a Semmens 6922 and will soon order the Aqua 274B that everyone's raving about.

mcanaday

« Reply #10 on: 4 Mar 2019, 12:46 pm »
Very exciting!  Will look forward to hearing your impressions.

Cheers,

Margot

Doodlebum

« Reply #11 on: 13 Apr 2019, 04:18 pm »
Well, I have around 250 hours on the 25th modded SE84ufo2 now and it's still improving. I was only charged $260 plus shipping so this is a no brainer if anyone is debating doing it. The improvement in clarity gives a perceived sense of more power. I'm averaging 2-3 clicks lower on the knob but that's not what matters to me at all, there's more detail without being analytical or edgy. This thing can be a bit freaky sometimes when I hear things that defy logic. If I had just one word for it all it would be lush.

jmolsberg

« Reply #12 on: 13 Apr 2019, 04:44 pm »
^ pretty solid sounding DB! thank you

pursuitofnow

« Reply #13 on: 13 Apr 2019, 06:21 pm »
I'm using a pair of the Decware SE84UFO monblocks with the anniversary mods with Omega Super 3 XRS speakers and the sound is outstanding. So full and encompassing. I previously used a SE84UFO and loved it as well. The difference though with the 25th mods is amazing. The stage width and depth increased dramatically. The speed is like a constant feed of nitro. Bass is all there. If you're curious how the 25th modded monoblocks compare to the anniversary amp check out what the Steve Deckert has to say http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1510887200/200

mcanaday

« Reply #14 on: 14 Apr 2019, 06:30 pm »
Thanks for the information.  This sounds like $260 very well spent!  Great news.