Guitar recommendation for 13 year old?

Sparky14

Guitar recommendation for 13 year old?
« on: 22 Nov 2017, 10:36 pm »
AC friends....

My 13 year old daughter wants to start playing guitar, and I know less than nothing about guitars. Any good black friday (or other) deals on a good acoustic starter guitar or kit?

Thanks!

deadhead

Re: Guitar recommendation for 13 year old?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2017, 10:51 pm »
Start her with something inexpensive for a couple of reasons.  If she likes it you'll step up to something considerably better and if she doesn't you won't care that she gave it up.  I started my kids on a Fender for about $100.  It didn't last more than 4-5 years but they stuck with it and it showed me the commitment they had.  Next step up was a Breedlove for between $500-600 (Korean made).

For an inexpensive guitar Mitchell makes a nice instrument.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2017, 11:30 pm »
I think Squire make brilliant instruments for the money. Ok the cheapest don't have the best fret finish in the world, and fairly crappy electronics, but the top of the line Classic Vibe series are fantastic. Of course, I'm talking electric.

Yeah, I know most people start w/ acoustic, but the guitar is hard enough to play and electrics make it a bit easier to fret. I started on electric, because I wanted to make it as easy as possible. Also started right off w/ power and barre chords rather than open like most people.Power chords are easy and you can start making music right away. I think it is super important for a beginner to have fun and not simply get frustrated trying to just fret a chord.

But if you really want acoustic, I think the Korean made Samicks are darn nice for the money. They have a little 3/4 size travel guitar that is easier to play than a full size. (string tension seems lower and you don't have that bulky body, especially for a younger player) I had one and gave it to my nephew. Really nice instrument. (However just saw someone doesn't like the 3/4 size.....didn't say why)

I play a Washburn acoustic. Nice but fairly inexpensive. Set up properly and easy to play, but it doesn't project sound all that well.I had a full size Samick that I think sounded better. But a friend gave me the Washburn, so sold  Samick.

Thankfully modern C&C machining has made even pretty cheap guitars basically playable.

Best option is to go used. Dunno what stores you have in your area, Guitar Center, or Music Go Round or anything like that. As in my post on amps, I've learned you need to demo gear. Just going off youtube reviews is not a good idea.

Hope she has fun with this. It is difficult, and keep in mind.....everyone sucks when they first start. Jimi Hendrix sucked at one point. But it is also a lot of fun. Especially when you start playing with others.

As with all things on the 'net.....just another guy's opinion.

Odal3

« Reply #5 on: 23 Nov 2017, 01:35 am »
I bought a guitar for my kids last year. Got an electric Squier Affinity Mini Strat. 3/4 size is perfect for them since they are younger and couldn't properly hold the full sized one but a full size may be better for your daughter - it all depends how it fit so check in a store what they recommend.

I would definitely go to a guitar store if you have one close by and have a sales person play a couple of entry level guitars so you can hear them and have him or her explain the differences. Stay away from the dirt cheap budget style guitars and get a step up from that. I think I paid around $120 plus extra $ for amp, etc. Guitar center had several nice acoustics entry level guitars in that range too.

As others pointed out, no need to overdo it for a beginner. If you buy a recognized brand you can sell it easier later on too when she is ready for upgrade or didn't use it enough.

Unfortunately my kids haven't really played it a lot so its actually me using it the most :-)

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2017, 01:43 am »
Take your daughter along and let her pick something that appeals to her and is sized right.

You'll be Dad of the Year for that one.

dflee

« Reply #7 on: 23 Nov 2017, 02:47 am »
Look into Guild. They are way under the radar for ehat they are.
Avoid guitars that are hard to play. If harder to play your daughter will get frustrated. Whatever you get spend the extra cash to get it professionally set up. It doesn't cost much and makes a BIG difference.

Sparky14

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2017, 04:13 am »
Thanks for the help everyone. Her middle school has a "learn the guitar" club during lunch hour, so the instructor will help with fit and setup. I did try to take her to Guitar Center, she liked them all.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2017, 04:20 am »
Good looking dont matter, the important is the left hand get a easy job on the neck top and botton and a natural fingering on the frets, some necks are difficult to do the positions.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2017, 02:00 pm »
Does she want an acoustic or an electric?
You also didn't say what your price range is.

dflee

« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2017, 02:05 pm »
If she is going to be carrying it to school, look into the baby Martin or Taylor.
Martin also makes a backpack guitar. Little, thin and sounds decent.

Don

Creed

« Reply #12 on: 8 Jun 2019, 04:57 am »
Can't go wrong with a fender squire with a thin neck, watch out for off brands with a fat neck. Buy used and take of cheap tuning keys for quaility ones.

spence

« Reply #13 on: 8 Jun 2019, 12:57 pm »
Buy a cheaper name brand. The resale will be better if she moves up or moves on. Look at the Fenders. Most people recognize the Fender name, and it'll be easier to sell later on because of that alone.
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2019, 11:50 am by spence »

Creed

« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2019, 12:11 am »
If you can afford it get her both acoustic and electric and a Beatle book, beatle cd. She will learn many cords slow and easy. Acoustic has more soul, electric easy to play. Epliphone acoustic used $100. Fender squire used $100, maybe new keys $50, amp $50. Cheaper than a Srat pack aroun $3 or $400 new. I had a cheap peavy guitar that felt better than American Strats. Personally I think girls like to play acoustic, it's just harder. That's why it's nice to have both what ever mood she's in, you have it. I have both and play acoustic most of the time but I'm a drummer. If you ever want to get her a nice acoustic find a Tama -Martin D28 exact construction,same wood, copy. They only made it 1 year ,1972. Martin filed a law suit, they had to stop making them. They are a exact copy and sound exactly like a Martin D-28 warm and big. I have the Tama d28 copy? I have friends with Martin d28's that prefer the Tama and borrowi it to record. I've heard some d-28's sound better than Tama some not near as good, you can pick them up for around $400 bucks on eBay, you just have to watch for them, best secret in acoustic guitars.