"Blu-ray Disc Association says it’s too early to lower prices"

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
I don't see Blu Ray reaching critical mass in a few short years...HDTVs themselves haven't become ubiquitous, and if people can't get no-interest deals for that 50" screen they (think) they need, I don't see BD taking over in the next couple years. In five or six years? That's much more likely, but by then ripping Blu Ray and torrenting it is probably going to be as commonplace as using EAC with audio (I don't know, it might already be this easy now).

GHM

I don't see Blu Ray reaching critical mass in a few short years...HDTVs themselves haven't become ubiquitous, and if people can't get no-interest deals for that 50" screen they (think) they need, I don't see BD taking over in the next couple years. In five or six years? That's much more likely, but by then ripping Blu Ray and torrenting it is probably going to be as commonplace as using EAC with audio (I don't know, it might already be this easy now).

Yup Jimj people are already ripping Blu ray to torrents. aa
I was reading a post a few days ago
 on another site..you can get a BR player from Bestbuy for under $200 now.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Just got this in my email today from All American Direct (they're my C-Band satellite program provider), SYLVANIA NB501SL9 BLU-RAY DISC BONUS VIEW PLAYER 1080P/24PS $149.99! That cheap enough for mainstream folks? :thumb:

http://www.allamericandirect.com/SYLVANIA_NB501SL9_BLU_RAY_DISC_BONUS_VIEW_PLAYER_p/nb501sl9.htm?102108

Cheers,
Robin

Mathew_M

Blu-ray software titles won't take off until they are under $20 for new releases.  For example I just picked up the latest Indiana Jones box set for $60.  That includes all 4 films.  The Blu-ray edition of Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls is $30 on its own.  That and the original three films aren't even on the format yet. 

The problem the HD fan boys don't admit is yes, once you see HD it's hard to go back to SD but what's worse is that most films have yet to be released on the format.  Personally though as long as the SD-DVD is mastered well I can enjoy watching it even on a giant projected screen.

GHM

Blu-ray software titles won't take off until they are under $20 for new releases.  For example I just picked up the latest Indiana Jones box set for $60.  That includes all 4 films.  The Blu-ray edition of Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls is $30 on its own.  That and the original three films aren't even on the format yet. 

The problem the HD fan boys don't admit is yes, once you see HD it's hard to go back to SD but what's worse is that most films have yet to be released on the format.  Personally though as long as the SD-DVD is mastered well I can enjoy watching it even on a giant projected screen.

I can tell you... you're not missing much if referring to "Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls ". I just dropped it back in the mail to Netflix. What a terrible movie! The footage did look great on Blu ray..that was about it though. :lol:

rmassey

Oppo 983 + my 720p projector on a 100" screen looks fine to me.

I can buy/rent/copy SD DVDs for a fraction of the current price of Blu discs. besides, I don't even collect much any more, I just rent and send it back to NF.

I honestly think downloadable HD movies will take off before BD gets any real market share.

I can DL Blu rips via BT now and playback via pyTivo on my HD Tivo at 720p.  They look good, but not significantly better than SD on my Oppo 983.

satfrat

• Restricted
Oppo 983 + my 720p projector on a 100" screen looks fine to me.

I can buy/rent/copy SD DVDs for a fraction of the current price of Blu discs. besides, I don't even collect much any more, I just rent and send it back to NF.

I honestly think downloadable HD movies will take off before BD gets any real market share.

I can DL Blu rips via BT now and playback via pyTivo on my HD Tivo at 720p.  They look good, but not significantly better than SD on my Oppo 983.

I'm not so sure about that. Blockbuster is coming out with more BluRay rentals each week and they've even started selling BluRay units in their stores for $179. As more and more folks start buying HD tv's w/HDMI connections(thanks in part to the fload of available HD cable channels within the last year) and BluRay DVD rental availablity increases, I think Blu Ray will become a definite competitor with dvd's. It's coming faster than folks realize, faster than I even realized after talking with my Blockbuster dude today. :o

Cheers,
Robin

rmassey

I'm not so sure about that.. It's coming faster than folks realize, faster than I even realized after talking with my Blockbuster dude today. :o

perhaps, but given >> "Blu-ray Disc Association says it’s too early to lower prices"
I'll continue to find lower cost ways to enjoy movies.   :wink:

satfrat

• Restricted
I'm not so sure about that.. It's coming faster than folks realize, faster than I even realized after talking with my Blockbuster dude today. :o

perhaps, but given >> "Blu-ray Disc Association says it’s too early to lower prices"
I'll continue to find lower cost ways to enjoy movies.   :wink:

,,,, as will I. :lol:

mjosef

Just read this over at ZDnet...
Blu-ray is dead - heckuva job, Sony!
http://blogs.zdnet.com/storage/?p=365&tag=nl.e550
And I kinda agree with the assessment...'old world' thinking being applied to an emerging product, I mean just how much milk can you get from the same cow?...I love the last line that sums up the article...
Like Agent Smith delivering the bad news to a complacent cop: “No, Lieutenant, your men are already dead.”
  :lol: classic.

satfrat

• Restricted
Blu-ray’s theoretical advantages

If that's not the biggest pile of BS, I don't know what is. :roll: One doesn't need "golden eyes" to see the stark improvement of Blu Ray over DVD's, heck the picture's even crisper than 1080i HD imho. I'm not saying Blu Ray's breathing life but if it dies, it won't be because of the picture quality. :scratch:

Cheers,
Robin