"Blu-ray Disc Association says it’s too early to lower prices"

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
ouch!

“There’s not enough market [volume] to lower the price,”

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/39347/97/

What are you paying for your Blu-Ray movies?

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1

GHM

The prices of these players are dropping fairly quickly now. You can buy a Blu ray player from Bestbuys for $230. I don't understand why anyone would buy a bluray disc to begin with..when you can rent them from NetFlix. Standard DVDs are fine..but in no form or fashion will I ever buy another DVD after seeing Blu ray. Give it some time...it is catching on.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
I don't understand why anyone would buy a bluray disc to begin with..when you can rent them from NetFlix.

Blu-Ray burners are getting cheaper, too.:wink:   The price of all will certainly fall.
Have fun,
Jerry

John Ryder

Blu Ray seems to be on the path of being the next Laserdisc but without the 20+ year life span.

The world is much too engrained in bargain after bargain that SD offers..and SD DVD is always going to be "good enough" for 99% of the general public.

GHM

Blu Ray seems to be on the path of being the next Laserdisc but without the 20+ year life span.

The world is much too engrained in bargain after bargain that SD offers..and SD DVD is always going to be "good enough" for 99% of the general public.

I'm not so sure about that one. We're also moving into the Hi-Def era with television. Over the next year the general public will see what digital TV is all about with the on going transition. Even Over the air hi-def TV looks better than a standard 480P DVD.

I tried to watch a standard DVD two nights ago on my 1080P television...it looked like garbage! I guess it is easy not to miss something if you've never had it. As people move over to 1080P TVs...I have no doubt standard DVD will be a thing of the past in a few short years. It's hard to explain, but the Blu rays just draw you more into the movie.
« Last Edit: 29 Sep 2008, 12:14 pm by GHM »

kbuzz3

Quote "too early to lower prices"

Last week one of my colleagues was laughing when someone used an archaic word to describe what someone was asserting: I think it has great applicability here.  Rather then regurgitate the obvious reasons, this statement is

HOGWASH

John Ryder

Blu-ray's market share has almost doubled since HD DVD's demise.

Yet SD dvd is kicking it's behind 10x over...

I for one have zero friends who own or even talk about buying into Blu at this time and it's been a few years since this new HDM train left the station. Many find it too expensive, or flat out think DVD is just fine, even when they own new plasma's and LCD flat panels etc.

I remember how quickly DVD took off a few short years after launch...it seemed that when the spark hit the buying public, things went nuts, everybody I knew wanted "DVD"....and they did go get one as well as many movies.

How much longer is Blu going to sit on the sidelines with few folks from the general public pool of folks even paying attention (i.e. not buying)? Can Blu continue to be a niche market? Does it have the legs LD used to (survived 20+ years with very few owners)?

Yes Blu makes for an awesome movie going experience, but I think the public (especially in tight $$$$ times) is so entrenched in DVD and being able to compile HUGE libraries of their fave movies for pennies on the dollar, that Blu will sputter along until either they die off or indeed become a niche product that a few doehard movie watchers buy into.

sbrtoy

I agree, why buy them when Netflix has them for rent? Also as long as the PS3 continues to gain traction I think Blu still has strong potential. Now we just need a giant-killer player from someone like Oppo for under $200 to spur it along!

jonwb

...if they really wanted blu-ray to take off they'd include a SD-DVD version of the movie when you buy the blu-ray version.  I realize that's a fantasy, but the problem is the installed base of SD-DVD decks.  Sure blu-ray looks better, but they are asking me to pay about a $10 premium on a disc that will work on my one super-fancy player.  We can't use it in our car, we can't use it in our portable player, we can't play it on the laptop, we can't play it in the other TV in the rec. room... you get the picture.  Sure eventually all these other decks/devices will/may someday migrate over to have blu-ray playback capability, but when?  And further, WHY?  Frankly you need a pretty fancy setup, at a pretty fair size (50"+ IMHO) to even notice the difference.

Me?  I rent in SD (and backup if I like it).  Further, if I really like the movie and want a copy to enjoy in full blu-ray glory (on my PS3), I'll look on Amazon.com for a discount copy.

John Ryder

Speaking of SD...just got my uber cheap copy of Iron Man from CC today to enjoy over the weekend on my quiet home theater vs. the noisy local theaters.

:)

jonwb

Speaking of SD...just got my uber cheap copy of Iron Man from CC today to enjoy over the weekend on my quiet home theater vs. the noisy local theaters.

Ha!  ...and the state rests   :lol:

Enjoy the movie!  I'll buy it on Blu-ray when I can snag it for under $15.  Until then it'll go on my BlockBuster Queue and I'll make them a backup.

GHM

I agree, why buy them when Netflix has them for rent? Also as long as the PS3 continues to gain traction I think Blu still has strong potential. Now we just need a giant-killer player from someone like Oppo for under $200 to spur it along!

Hey no doubt the below $200 BR player is around the corner. I'm with you.

I was just checking out the BR version of this movie on a 100 inch screen using a Sony VPL-60 1080P projector...the movie looked awesome!!! :D

It look so good it has me thinking seriously of trying to drop a 84 inch motorized screen with the same projector in my great room..just for movie watching. Now I just need to save the pennies for it.

As long as your happy with the SD enjoy!  :thumb:
I'm a BR fan all the way..no going back now.

jonwb

...if they really wanted blu-ray to take off they'd include a SD-DVD version of the movie when you buy the blu-ray version.  I realize that's a fantasy, but the problem is the installed base of SD-DVD decks.  Sure blu-ray looks better, but they are asking me to pay about a $10 premium on a disc that will work on my one super-fancy player.  We can't use it in our car, we can't use it in our portable player, we can't play it on the laptop, we can't play it in the other TV in the rec. room... you get the picture.  Sure eventually all these other decks/devices will/may someday migrate over to have blu-ray playback capability, but when?  And further, WHY?  Frankly you need a pretty fancy setup, at a pretty fair size (50"+ IMHO) to even notice the difference.

Me?  I rent in SD (and backup if I like it).  Further, if I really like the movie and want a copy to enjoy in full blu-ray glory (on my PS3), I'll look on Amazon.com for a discount copy.

hmmm.... I guess it wasn't a fantasy afterall:

http://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Blu-ray-Two-Disc-Platinum-Standard/dp/B0013ND30W/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1224538877&sr=8-1

Who'd of thunk Disney would be the first to roll out the "buy the Blu-ray, get the SD-DVD included" angle?

Freo-1

I'm not so sure about that one. We're also moving into the Hi-Def era with television. Over the next year the general public will see what digital TV is all about with the on going transition. Even Over the air hi-def TV looks better than a standard 480P DVD.

I tried to watch a standard DVD two nights ago on my 1080P television...it looked like garbage! I guess it is easy not to miss something if you've never had it. As people move over to 1080P TVs...I have no doubt standard DVD will be a thing of the past in a few short years. It's hard to explain, but the Blu rays just draw you more into the movie.

I take minor issue with the assessment. I have a Denon 5910 feeding a Pioneer Kuro 5080, and trust me, the SD picture from DVD upscaled to 1080i is just fine, thank you. I highly doubt that the majority of media would look much better with a 300.00 blu-ray player and a blu-ray version of the same movie.  (I've checked this out, and the results are all over the place).

I'm sure there are a few movies (modern animated for example), that would noticeable.  For the majority of movies, blu ray is simply not worth the extra coin (to buy, that is).  :wink:

GHM

I take minor issue with the assessment. I have a Denon 5910 feeding a Pioneer Kuro 5080, and trust me, the SD picture from DVD upscaled to 1080i is just fine, thank you. I highly doubt that the majority of media would look much better with a 300.00 blu-ray player and a blu-ray version of the same movie.  (I've checked this out, and the results are all over the place).

I'm sure there are a few movies (modern animated for example), that would noticeable.  For the majority of movies, blu ray is simply not worth the extra coin (to buy, that is).  :wink:

:lol: Well like I said in the past..as long as you enjoy it... that is all that matters. Even a $300.00 Blu ray player would smoke the Denon if you compared BD against a standard disc...no matter what TV you used to view the movie.  :wink:

No technology can make up for the left out or missing information provided by a standard DVD against a Blu ray Disc...it just isn't possible..sorry.

Freo-1

:lol: Well like I said in the past..as long as you enjoy it... that is all that matters. Even a $300.00 Blu ray player would smoke the Denon if you compared BD against a standard disc...no matter what TV you used to view the movie.  :wink:

No technology can make up for the left out or missing information provided by a standard DVD against a Blu ray Disc...it just isn't possible..sorry.

No, I don't think you understand...if the SOURCE media only has "x" amount of resolution, blu ray will not make the media look better. In fact, it can make it look worse (in some cases).  If you research the subject, you will find that a number of blu ray transfers look WORSE than the SD version.

Now, for the NEW movies that are shot with HD cameras, that is a valid argument.  For the VAST majority of current media, there is little to no gain to be had from a blu ray version (unless one has a hole in their pocket).

GHM

Ahh..I understand what you're saying now. Just how old of a movie are we talking about here? From what I've read..there are quite a few older movies out there that have great resolution. The movies were compressed because there wasn't anything at the time on the market that could play them at full resolution ..besides professional equipment. I was reading some where..can't recall at the moment. Where it was stated that a good portion of the movies in the last 20 yrs or so were originally filmed at a much higher resolution than SD. I'll have to see if I can locate where I've read this.

I watched "Unforgiven" on Blu ray a few days ago(made in 1992). I've seen this movie on SD previously. The BR copy was definitely better. Now I'm sure it isn't like that for every movie. But you have to wonder how many movies are out there like this. 1992 was well before Blu ray...even DVD didn't have legs back then.

GHM

double post