iTunes Help After Re-Install

John151

iTunes Help After Re-Install
« on: 27 Dec 2012, 08:39 pm »
Holiday Greetings!

Been having a rough go after my primary HD started flaking out on me.  I ended up installing a new primary HD (SSD) and re-installing Windows 7 along with all application programs (was a long night last night).  My Music is stored on a 2nd HD, and backed up onto two other devices as well, so it was not directly affected by any of t his.  However, after re-installing  iTunes, I can't get iTunes to recognize the previous iTunes library, despite that fact that I point it to the library (Preferences, Advanced) .   Very disappointed that the iTunes install does not give any options to search for existing iTunes libraries.  All it get iniriLLY is the music that I have purchased directly on iTunes (which is not much).

My music was previously stored on the M: drive under the iTunes folder.  I have the typical confusing array of iTunes generated files and folders, such that the actual music appears to be stored in "M:\iTunes\Media\Music" folder.

I have read the iTunes help, but it only tells me how to share across other computers on my network. 

What am I missing here?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John151

Re: iTunes Help After Re-Install
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm »
Doh, I found the 'Add Folder To Library" option.  I had to browse to the  "M:\iTunes\Media\Music" folder and then select all and then select open. 

Crimson

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2012, 10:47 pm »
Doh, I found the 'Add Folder To Library" option.  I had to browse to the  "M:\iTunes\Media\Music" folder and then select all and then select open.

Glad you figured it out. Yes, after pointing to the library you have to Add to Library.

John151

« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm »
I was expecting that it would use an iTunes generate index file from the previous install (there are a few XML files located a few folders above the music files).  When that didn't happen, I got my head twisted around the axle and had to take a break, do some "honey do" stuff, and then it all became much easier.   :thumb: