X-statik crossover upgrade issue. Pop

Metfit77@gmail.com

X-statik crossover upgrade issue. Pop
« on: 22 Mar 2020, 03:39 pm »
Hello,
I am looking for some guidance and hoping someone can possibly point me in the right direction.
I've had the x statiks for a while and just upgraded the x over with the kit purchased from danny. Only when the music is playing fairly loud, the right speaker makes an occasional 'pop'. The popping sound is not loud at all, but i can distinguish it from the music. Everything seems to be soldiered correctly.
Any ideas on where to start? Or do i just start from scratch?

Captainhemo

Re: X-statik crossover upgrade issue. Pop
« Reply #1 on: 22 Mar 2020, 04:49 pm »
Firstoff,  switch the speaker cables from speaker to speaker to make sure    it as actually  an issue with that speaker...  if it follows the  cable,   it's obviouisly something  else.

If it stays  in the same speaker,  I'd start by  checking all youir  solder joints.. they  can look good but  if you've got a cold  joint and it cracked, maybe you are  getting  a "wiggle"  when the volume is up

jay

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2020, 10:57 pm »
Problem solved.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2020, 11:56 pm »
So what was it?  :popcorn:

Captainhemo

« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2020, 04:29 am »

+1,  answers help  others down the  road

jay

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #5 on: 23 Mar 2020, 12:24 pm »
One of the speaker wires (going from the binding post to the crossover), was broken at the soldier point of the crossover. It likely broke when I inserted the crossover in the speaker.

AlexH

« Reply #6 on: 23 Mar 2020, 12:47 pm »
Please give us an up date on the improvement in sound and the difference you are hearing. I have been thinking about doing this myself .

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2020, 03:14 pm »
I will once I have let everything burn in and when I have a chance to sit down and listen to some music of course.
Of note, I upgraded the crossover (sonicaps and mills), electra tube connectors, and also installed the brass spikes (which I had never installed), so whatever difference I hear, will be a sum of those 3 changes.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 23 Mar 2020, 04:01 pm »
That's not a small upgrade :)

Metfit77@gmail.com

« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2020, 06:52 pm »
Ok. So I just spent and hour or so listening to some music I'm know pretty well. First impressions. The sound is not as soft as it was, but I expect that to improve with some burn in time. The other thing I noticed was more detail. I could hear the singer wet their lips and tiny mic noises when singer ends their words, catch their breath, etc. I couldn't hear that before. Strings also seem to have a little more snap to them. I didn't hear any difference in soundstage or imaging...but 1: It's not an AB comparison, so it's a little hard to compare...and 2: I'm not experienced enough to really to notice all the things that Danny or some of you might here when doing critical listening. I can't wait to have my floor standing version of the studios and see what that sounds like compared to the x-statiks. They are the best speakers that I've had and heard and I look forward to hearing what that next step in sound quality sounds like.
FYI: I'm running my x-statiks with an Arcam AVR300 and a Topping D50s Dac for my HT/music area. The studios will be used with a Tortuga LDR300v25 buffered preamp and Folsom EC7293 stereo amp.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2020, 07:46 pm »
Ok. So I just spent and hour or so listening to some music I'm know pretty well. First impressions. The sound is not as soft as it was, but I expect that to improve with some burn in time. The other thing I noticed was more detail. I could hear the singer wet their lips and tiny mic noises when singer ends their words, catch their breath, etc. I couldn't hear that before. Strings also seem to have a little more snap to them. I didn't hear any difference in soundstage or imaging...but 1: It's not an AB comparison, so it's a little hard to compare...and 2: I'm not experienced enough to really to notice all the things that Danny or some of you might here when doing critical listening. I can't wait to have my floor standing version of the studios and see what that sounds like compared to the x-statiks. They are the best speakers that I've had and heard and I look forward to hearing what that next step in sound quality sounds like.
FYI: I'm running my x-statiks with an Arcam AVR300 and a Topping D50s Dac for my HT/music area. The studios will be used with a Tortuga LDR300v25 buffered preamp and Folsom EC7293 stereo amp.

Nice improvements!  And yes, they will definitely smooth out after burn in.

I think once you get the NX-Studios going, they will blow you away.