DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!

adydula

• Restricted
Re: DT1350 Beyerdynamic headphones ....I love new toys!
« Reply #40 on: 1 Mar 2014, 02:21 am »
Looking at my box right now, I got the coiled cable version, the number to look for on the top of the box is the "article number" on the Beyer European site: Article Number: 703575. This is for the coiled cable version.

The uncoiled version is : Article Number: 702072

Alex

note: peter@beyerdynamic-usa.com should be able to answer this as well.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #41 on: 1 Mar 2014, 05:59 am »
Hi guys, remember me the OP?? Anyway my second pair came and I really like them.....alot!!!
Just thought I'd throw that out there... :duh: :thumb:

ajzepp

« Reply #42 on: 1 Mar 2014, 07:05 am »
If your question indicated an interest in learning what I do, I'd be glad to give you an answer. Most users buy into the notion that their headphone sound is a matter of personal preference, but as a practical matter my personal preference isn't available, and the closest to it costs way too much and is too confining. But I think any reputable reviewer will tell you the same thing - they report it the way they hear it - they don't just refuse to review an item because it doesn't suit their preference.

I see. Yeah I usually take reviews with a grain of salt since quite often they differ from my own experiences. This is especially true of the 1350s since I've been using my pair nearly every day for two years and have a pretty good feel for them. Also don't really have much interest in EQ'ing, so theres that, as well.

I'm confused when you say you wouldn't "refuse to review an item", though...aren't you buying these headphones yourself?

ajzepp

« Reply #43 on: 1 Mar 2014, 07:06 am »
Hi guys, remember me the OP?? Anyway my second pair came and I really like them.....alot!!!
Just thought I'd throw that out there... :duh: :thumb:

Ed? Is that you?

Ehh...maybe not...I thought that may have been...oh wait...ED?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #44 on: 13 Mar 2014, 05:50 pm »
I got mine a couple of days ago; serial #23099. The earpads were not identical with the T51P in the photo you linked to and so I pursued it with Peter at Beyerdynamic (see reply #59 above) who was helpful.
He said that all coiled cable versions were facelift, since none were made before.
Since mention was made of better head band padding on the facelift version, I think this is the easiest and surest way to differentiate: the head bands with the extra padding look different; the black rubbery padding holder goes completely around the head bands, whereas the earlier padding just clipped onto the edges and the metal of the head bands was visible from the outside. This makes it very easy to separate facelift from non-facelift.

As to the sound; I have burned mine in for around the Beyer-recommended 30 hours at high-ish levels with the earcups clamped on either side of a the metal case of a convenient piece of test equipment 4.25" wide. This seemed to improve sweetness north of, say, 1 kHz.
The sound, while not the most accurate in tonality through the midrange (bettered by my Etymotic ER4S) I find thoroughly enjoyable, nonetheless, and exceedingly useful in revealing flaws in my recordings, such as air conditioning noise, mic preamp hiss and distortion, without detracting from the enjoyment. Bass is fabulous, just as expected - extended and realistic; not bloated. For the first time I can hear the orchestral bass drum correctly in my recording of that 95 piece orchestra in Kiev, and I know what was done, EQ-wise, to that, so it is a reference for me.
A surprise was how comfortable they were right from the get go. My ears are large and my head is fairly big, so I was expecting difficulty in fitting but, splaying the headbands out, they fell right into place as though they were made for me. The headbands were so comfortable I had to check to see if they were actually touching my head or not (they were).

Two final big bonuses: the ambient sound rejection is superb and the carrying case is great - the airline plug adapter means you could take these instead of a 'phone with active noise cancellation and enjoy superior sound and the same degree of noise rejection, for about the same price, probably. Oh, and one final bonus; they are very easily driven, so work well off ordinary low-powered headphone amps. They play louder than my Sennheiser HD 201s, AKG 601s and Etymotic ER4S,  much louder than my Fostex T50RPs at the same volume setting, plus can handle more power, so they have a greater dynamic range, which I think is a critical aspect of their performance and makes for undistorted playback at elevated levels for home use, and further isolation potential for pro use.

In short, I really like them a lot, and they are immediately my favorite headphone of those mentioned, not to speak of my AKG K1000s.

A great design. Thanks, Beyerdynamic!
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2014, 09:20 pm by Russell Dawkins »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #45 on: 13 Mar 2014, 09:18 pm »
I'm keeping the two I have for the time being
So am I right about the headbands as an indicator of pre/post facelift? Does the latest pair you thought were pre-facelift have head bands that show metal on the outside and are the ones you just got different in that regard?

ajzepp

« Reply #46 on: 14 Mar 2014, 08:14 am »
I got mine a couple of days ago; serial #23099. The earpads were not identical with the T51P in the photo you linked to and so I pursued it with Peter at Beyerdynamic (see reply #59 above) who was helpful.
He said that all coiled cable versions were facelift, since none were made before.
Since mention was made of better head band padding on the facelift version, I think this is the easiest and surest way to differentiate: the head bands with the extra padding look different; the black rubbery padding holder goes completely around the head bands, whereas the earlier padding just clipped onto the edges and the metal of the head bands was visible from the outside. This makes it very easy to separate facelift from non-facelift.

As to the sound; I have burned mine in for around the Beyer-recommended 30 hours at high-ish levels with the earcups clamped on either side of a the metal case of a convenient piece of test equipment 4.25" wide. This seemed to improve sweetness north of, say, 1 kHz.
The sound, while not the most accurate in tonality through the midrange (bettered by my Etymotic ER4S) I find thoroughly enjoyable, nonetheless, and exceedingly useful in revealing flaws in my recordings, such as air conditioning noise, mic preamp hiss and distortion, without detracting from the enjoyment. Bass is fabulous, just as expected - extended and realistic; not bloated. For the first time I can hear the orchestral bass drum correctly in my recording of that 95 piece orchestra in Kiev, and I know what was done, EQ-wise, to that, so it is a reference for me.
A surprise was how comfortable they were right from the get go. My ears are large and my head is fairly big, so I was expecting difficulty in fitting but, splaying the headbands out, they fell right into place as though they were made for me. The headbands were so comfortable I had to check to see if they were actually touching my head or not (they were).

Two final big bonuses: the ambient sound rejection is superb and the carrying case is great - the airline plug adapter means you could take these instead of a 'phone with active noise cancellation and enjoy superior sound and the same degree of noise rejection, for about the same price, probably. Oh, and one final bonus; they are very easily driven, so work well off ordinary low-powered headphone amps. They play louder than my Sennheiser HD 201s, AKG 601s and Etymotic ER4S,  much louder than my Fostex T50RPs at the same volume setting, plus can handle more power, so they have a greater dynamic range, which I think is a critical aspect of their performance and makes for undistorted playback at elevated levels for home use, and further isolation potential for pro use.

In short, I really like them a lot, and they are immediately my favorite headphone of those mentioned, not to speak of my AKG K1000s.

A great design. Thanks, Beyerdynamic!

Great feedback, Russell...very closely resembles my own experience. These things are such a steal at their current price...enjoy!

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #47 on: 14 Mar 2014, 01:14 pm »
Hey Russell that's a fantastic write up, very clear and concise without too, too, too much info. :thumb:
I use them with my other new toy the X3 and it drives them super nicely. Zepp told me to get some of these last year and
I chose Amperiors to try something different, I much prefer the 1350's sound and the low end and the way its controlled is the finest I've heard in maybe forever...love these things!!! Zepp was right I shoulda gotten them last year........better late then never I guess...enjoy!!!! :icon_lol:

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #48 on: 14 Mar 2014, 05:46 pm »
Which U.S. Authorized Reseller has the new Facelift DT1350 available?

Thanks,

Randy

Wind Chaser

« Reply #49 on: 14 Mar 2014, 06:00 pm »

Mine followed your 392 units later. They are serial # 23491 - with a straight cable...

Anyhow, I've read the above several times and I still cannot determine if mine have
the facelift or not. So here's what they look like.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #50 on: 14 Mar 2014, 06:02 pm »
Oh btw, what is the difference in sound quality between the FL and non FL versions?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #51 on: 14 Mar 2014, 06:15 pm »
Windchaser; those are facelift. Look at the headband padding, then look at this. This is pre-facelift:

As to sound quality, apparently there was nothing done to anything but the headband, cable and earpad, but the softer earpad makes for a better seal and thus better bass.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #52 on: 14 Mar 2014, 07:32 pm »
Windchaser; those are facelift. Look at the headband padding, then look at this. This is pre-facelift:

As to sound quality, apparently there was nothing done to anything but the headband, cable and earpad, but the softer earpad makes for a better seal and thus better bass.

I see... Thank you very much.

rklein

« Reply #53 on: 14 Mar 2014, 11:19 pm »
You guys are killing me!!

Let me phrase my question another way....

Where did you buy the new facelift version?

Regards

Randy

ajzepp

« Reply #54 on: 15 Mar 2014, 12:03 am »

Regards

Randy

A few of us bought them off Amazon.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #55 on: 15 Mar 2014, 12:09 am »

Regards

Randy
All I know is the Peter at Beyerdynamics ( peter@beyerdynamic-usa.com) knew for sure that all the headphones going to NCIX in Canada, where I bought mine, were facelift. I don't know what his position is, but he probably would be a good source of information. They are probably closed for the weekend now, so that doesn't help much if you have an itchy trigger finger.
I do know the headphones pictured on Amazon are the facelift version, again, look at the head band.
Sorry, I had an answer for you 5 hours ago, but got distracted and didn't post.

rklein

« Reply #56 on: 15 Mar 2014, 02:37 am »
thanks ajzepp & Russell.

I actually did email Peter but had not heard back.  I did check on Amazon but will check again paying close attention to the headbands.

Regards

Randy

ajzepp

« Reply #57 on: 15 Mar 2014, 04:10 am »
thanks ajzepp & Russell.

I actually did email Peter but had not heard back.  I did check on Amazon but will check again paying close attention to the headbands.

Regards

Randy

Sure thing...based on the reviews at Amazon, they've been selling only the facelift since January, maybe even before. Let us know if you pick up a pair!

rklein

« Reply #58 on: 15 Mar 2014, 04:24 pm »
Have any of you guys bought the straight cable version of the new facelift version?  If so, what is the street price?  It seems they are less than the coiled version.

thanks,

Randy

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #59 on: 25 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm »
I haven't read this thread for a few weeks, but here is the place I got my facelift 1350's from"

http://www.razordogaudio.com/collections/beyerdynamic/products/beyerdynamic-dt-1350-cc-facelift-closed-on-ear-headphone

There is a photo of the cans here as well.

Alex