Channel Islands VMB-100 Digital Monoblocks?

TIC

I'm confused!
« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2004, 01:53 am »
Folks,

I think there is a bit of confusion going on. The CI Audio VMB-1 is a 40 watt/ch. mono-block "Chip amp", similar to the 47 Labs GainCard. These are sometimes called "gainclone" type amps.

The CI Audio D-100 is a Digital Amp.

I have a pair of VMB-1 mono-blocks arriving on Monday. I can't wait to see if they "do it " for my setup. My system is very simple, consisting of a Quad 99 cd-p cd player w/remote volume control and a pair of Reference 3A MM DeCapo Monitors on nice stands. Current amps are BottleHead Paramour 2A3 SET Tube Amps.

I'm curious to hear the "simpler is better" attributes of a chip amp and also curious to hear what a bit more power can do for me.

Enjoy,

TIC

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2004, 09:45 pm »
TIC,

Please keep us posted.

TIC

VMB-1
« Reply #22 on: 4 Dec 2004, 04:01 pm »
Just wanted to post a quick follow-up to JLM's request for information. I received the VMB-1s about a month ago, but hadn't listened much until the last week. Units are left on continuously.

The VMB-1 is my new budget champ! I love these amps! I have owned at least 20 different integrated amps or power amps over the last 5-6 years, and these are easily the best sounding overall. Yes, I know it is not always an apples to apples comparison because other components in the system have changed, but I can say that these amps are extremely enjoyable to own.

My current system is:

Quad 99 CDP (with built-in volume control)
Channel Islands VMB-1 monoblocks (CD-direct input from Quad 99 CDP)
Reference 3A MM DeCapo Monitors

This system is much less expensive than most that I've owned and it is also very simple (3 components total). It is very musical and is well balanced. The system has excellent bass definition and extension, great midrange and smooth highs. Very listenable.

For anyone that can get by with 40 watts/channel (they sound like more!) and wants affordable, near reference quality sound, give these a try. I find them to be an excellent value!

Enjoy,

TIC

J North

« Reply #23 on: 4 Dec 2004, 06:13 pm »
TIC,

Wow! those VMB's certainly sound intriguing.

Can you tell us which amplifiers you felt they bettered?

thanx

TIC

« Reply #24 on: 4 Dec 2004, 07:09 pm »
JN,

YMMV and I did not own all of these at the same time, so much is by memory or how happy these made me. System synergy may affect results too. So, here's the list. BTW, I personally owned all of these:

Anthem Amp One, Integrated One, Integrated Two
Arcam Alpha 9, Alpha 10
Monarchy Audio SM-70 (stereo and bridged mono)
Plinius 8200
Cayin TA-30 and fully mod'd Cayin TA-30
B&K AVR-202
BottleHead Paramour
Antique Sound Labs AQ-1003DT
Bryston B-60R
Panasonic SA-XR45
and some I can't remember..........

The VMB-1s are very good. Really great combination of transparency and musicality.

They're Keepers!!!

Enjoy,

TIC

audiojerry

« Reply #25 on: 6 Dec 2004, 09:51 pm »
Thanks for the update.
When you get a chance, maybe you could post a review in the Critics Circle.

modwright

• Industry Contributor
    • ModWright Instruments
My $0.02
« Reply #26 on: 11 Dec 2004, 06:09 pm »
Just my 2-cents here and of course I will preface it with the fact that we have represented C.I. Audio in the past and have already done some mods to the VMB-1 monoblocks with excellent results.

I find these to be exceptional amps and while they are a Budget Champ, they are also simply exceptional amps, period.  I have been comparing them to my Sim Audio W-3 power amp (150W/CH; $3500 Retail), and the differences are subtle.  There is obviously a power differential - 40W/CH vs. 150W/CH and this is audible at high-volumes with some recordings.  To be honest however, the monoblocks sound closer to 100W than 40W.

The main area where I would say that the VMB-1's and the Sim Amp differ, is in the way the highest frequencies and last bit of detail are handled.  The VMB-1's give a slight bit more laid-back presentation, compared to the Sim Amp.  I wouldn't say they are rolled off, just different.  The sound stage is incredibly deep and wide with the VMB-1's and I honestly find myself relaxing and enjoying the music more with these in the system than with the higher priced/ higher-powered amp.

At this point, I am only comparing a stock pair to the Sim Audio Amp.  We did mod another set of these, with improved PS filtering, Fast rectifier diodes and Black Gate Non-polar caps in critical locations.  This pair was sold to a local customer who is VERY happy with the result.  I have to say though, that while the mods do improve the unit, it is not a matter of taking a 'budget' piece and making it sound like a 'Reference' piece.  They sounded fantastic to begin with and our mods only make them better.

I would say that I found improvements in terms of overall refinement and low-level detail and resolution, due to improvements in the supply and signal path.  We haven't listed these mods on our website yet as we have been so busy, but they are very reasonably priced.

My purpose for posting here is not to blow my own horn, but to blow Dusty's for him :).  These amps are simply fantastic and Dusty tends to be too modest.  If you are not in need of LOTS of power and have average efficiency speakers, these amps are simply fantastic.  They will definitely appeal to tube gear owners as well as SS fans.  In my opinion, they offer the strengths of SS design without the grain, edge and clinical sound that is so often present without tubes.  On the other hand, while they give the musicality of tubes, they don't limit bandwidth with rolled off highs and soft bass response.

These are simply the real deal.  Like all of Dusty's gear, it is RELIABLE, exceptional VALUE and represents TRULY excellent performance.

Thanks,

Dan W.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #27 on: 12 Dec 2004, 01:14 pm »
Thanks TIC and Dan for your feedback.

Dan,

Could you describe what the mods involve and the costs?

The stock amps fit into my budget, but knowing the upgrade path better would be helpful.

Dusty, TIC, and Dan,

I recently had a homebrewed chip amp for an extended in-home audition.  It did many things wonderfully, but the power supply had a lots of 60 Hz hum and it very obviously picked up 94.9 FM (that no other amp I've had owned has had a problem with).  Are either of these problems an issue with these amps?

thanks

CIAudio

« Reply #28 on: 12 Dec 2004, 02:42 pm »
The VMB-1's do not have either of the problems you describe.

All "chip" amps are not created equal...the amplifier IC is just a small part of the overall product. The design of the surrounding circuitry, layout, and power supply, all contribute to the end results.

Most DIY "Gainclones" are a mediocre attempt to copy the 47 Labs design. VMB-1's are an entirely different design, and we feel they are much more refined than the others. We spent about 2 years experimenting to get the best performance, reliability, and compatibility.

J North

« Reply #29 on: 12 Dec 2004, 05:56 pm »
Dusty & Dan,

Any chance of you two getting together and coming up with an "SE" verion of the VMB-1's??

It just does not make any sense to me that Dusty solders and installs a bunch of parts (for which we pay time & materials for), and then Dan spends time ripping them out and replacing them with other parts. This sounds like a huge waste of time and money.

This is not like mods to Sony or Pioneer gear that the HUGE companies have no interest with what Dan is doing. Dan & Dusty know each other quite well and both run smaller audio shops and should be able to work something out.

Just thinking of a way to give us audiophiles the best bang for the buck and avoid the debacle that carried on here last summer with the "speaker crossover mods".

Then again, it is quite possible that Dusty may believe that Dan's mods are not so much an improvement as a "voicing" and leave it at that.

just my 2 cents . . .

mac

Re: I'm confused!
« Reply #30 on: 12 Dec 2004, 06:30 pm »
Quote from: TIC
The CI Audio D-100 is a Digital Amp.

No, they are not digital.  The Hypex UcD modules have a differential analog opamp input stage and use PWM technology for the output stage.  They are known as class "D" amplifiers.

More info on the Hypex UcD modules can be found at the diyaudio site.

My UcD project.

CIAudio

« Reply #31 on: 12 Dec 2004, 06:54 pm »
Any chance of you two getting together and coming up with an "SE" verion of the VMB-1's?? This is not like mods to Sony or Pioneer gear that the HUGE companies have no interest with what Dan is doing. Dan & Dusty know each other quite well and both run smaller audio shops and should be able to work something out.

Dan and I have become friends over the last couple of years, but our businesses are quite different and too far apart to work in this way. On CIAudio products that Dan modifies, you can purchase the modified versions directly from ModWright.

CIAudio

« Reply #32 on: 12 Dec 2004, 07:04 pm »
No, they are not digital. The Hypex UcD modules have a differential analog opamp input stage and use PWM technology for the output stage. They are known as class "D" amplifiers.

You are correct. Most people call any Class D amplifier a digital amp, when Class D is basically an efficiency rating. Some class D's accept a digital input only, and use the amplifier as the D/A converter, this is what a "digital" amp is. D-100 is a Class D amplifier, which is analog from input to output.

BobMajor

Impressions of the D-100
« Reply #33 on: 1 Feb 2005, 06:33 pm »
I received the D-100 amps a couple of weeks ago. I'm not able to compare them with other amps since until now I've been listening exclusively on headphones. My set up is:
Sony CDP ES
280 fiber glass toslink cable
Monarchy Audio DIP Classic
Bolder Cable Bybee'd Ice digital cable
CI-Audio VDA-1 DAC (modded by Dan Wright)
Bolder Cable Bybee'd Nitro ICs
Headroom Max (2004 module) headphone amp/preamp
Bolder Cable Summit ICs with Bybee adapters added
CI-Audio D-100 monoblocks
Bolder Cable Nitro speaker cables
VMPS 626R Signature Edition with Bybees at each driver and at the crossover on the negative side

After 250 hours of burn-in the system has great transparency. The soundstage is wide, deep, and tall. Even the faintest sound is clear and delineated but not at all dry: there is a fine sense of space around the sounds (if the recording was well engineered).
Since the 626Rs can be adjusted tonally it's not possible for me to say whether the amp is warm or cool. I think the D-100s are just right.

Congratulations to Dusty for making such a superb amp (and DAC) available at such a low price.

Best wishes,
Bob Major

CIAudio

« Reply #34 on: 2 Feb 2005, 04:17 am »
Thanks Bob, Glad you're enjoying them!

We've only shipped a few pair of the D-100's...the two demo pair from the show and another pair to Japan for review.  

We now have full production going on them and will start shipping backorders and new orders by the end of next week.