USB disk for BR-20

alanford69

USB disk for BR-20
« on: 21 Feb 2023, 09:30 pm »
Hello, I am having troubles in connecting my WD My Passport Ultra 1 TB hard drive to the any BR-20 USB port.
Did any of you experience incompatibility with some drives? Mine is formatted NTFS , could this be a problem?

I just cannot see any of the album/tracks in the Media Player… any hint?

Thanks!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: USB disk for BR-20
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2023, 09:44 pm »
Hi Alan - the 1TB drive is probably drawing too much current from the BR20. 
If all works well with a smaller drive like a thumb-drive that is probably the issue.
We usually recommend a NAS with large libraries and the BR20

james

zoom25

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2023, 09:56 pm »
How much power does the BR-20's USB port provide?

I used to hear the same thing about BDP-1's USB ports which were also underpowered, yet I could make ALL my WD My Passports (1TB, 2TB, and 4TB) variants over the years work with no issues off any port and even multiple at the same time.

Does the light up sequence remain the same when plugged into the BR-20 vs. a computer? If the light stays on and becomes stable, it should be fine. I just wouldn't rule it out immediately that it's because of power issues...unless BR-20 has less power than BDP-1?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2023, 11:03 pm »
point five .5 amps is max for USB

alanford69

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2023, 08:55 am »
Does the light up sequence remain the same when plugged into the BR-20 vs. a computer? If the light stays on and becomes stable, it should be fine. I just wouldn't rule it out immediately that it's because of power issues...unless BR-20 has less power than BDP-1?

The hard drive light flashes initially then becomes steady but no song appears in the media player, i tried all usb ports.
I will gather a pendrive and try this other option just to check everything is working as intended. I don't have a very large library, it's about 180GB which may double in a couple of years so I was not thinking of a NAS as of today.

I think a 500GB SSD hard drive would suffice, if any of the BR-20 users can tell me which USB drive they are using I will buy the same ;-)

Thanks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2023, 12:22 pm »
I use this 500GB Seagate SSD

alanford69

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2023, 05:34 pm »
Thanks James I will try this one if still on the market.

Meanwhile I found out I can make a cheap temporary NAS just plugging the WD hard drive to my router usb port and... it works with just 2 issues:
- Music playback is fine and continuous but on Manic Moose I frequently get a "connection to host was lost"error
- I cannot see the song title on the BR-20 display while on MM everything is properly indexed.

Highendfool

• It is what you think.
« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2023, 05:42 pm »

I think a 500GB SSD hard drive would suffice, if any of the BR-20 users can tell me which USB drive they are using I will buy the same ;-)

Thanks.

Perhaps you’re not using a SSD ??
I’m using a Samsung 1 TB SSD USB, with no issues, on the BDA 3.14. (That unit provides a max current draw of 2A for all  available accessories.)

I can’t imagine the BR 20 would be less robust in this regard.

alanford69

« Reply #8 on: 22 Feb 2023, 06:42 pm »
Perhaps you’re not using a SSD ??

Correct, the WD My Passport is a spinning drive, so maybe that is the issue. I will try a SSD like the one suggested by James, they most probably draw less current than mine.

zoom25

« Reply #9 on: 22 Feb 2023, 07:21 pm »
If the power of the USB port is 500 mA then WD My Passport should be working. I can go as far as back as using one of my 2008 model (USB 2.0) and it still works. All of them have worked with the BDP-1 without issues, regardless of year or storage capacity. They've worked fine with FAT32 and NTFS.

Format a separate flash drive in NTFS as well just to make sure. Also, you can put the same songs on both the NAS and the USB drive and see if you notice any difference. (Do plug out the USB drive though when you want to hear just the NAS at its 'purest').

On your router, I'm not sure if the attached USB device can be given a static address? For my Synology NAS, I've set it up to have a fixed address. This way the BDP-1 always finds the NAS without issues.

alanford69

« Reply #10 on: 25 Feb 2023, 07:29 am »
Guys I solved the issue with a Samsung T7 SSD 500GB formatted ExFAT
Definitively I think it’s better to avoid big spinning drives with the BR-20

Thanks for the hints!