lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Let Them Eat.......Horse Meat !!!
« on: 16 May 2007, 11:49 pm »
Another news item I heard about today....tasty....... :o

tomjtx

Re: Let Them Eat.......Horse Meat !!!
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2007, 12:35 am »
I have an Italian friend who is owner /chef of a high end italian  restaurant here.

He served horse meat at a dinner party at his house one night.  It was excellent. I would gladly eat it again.
Wouldn't it be  hypocritical to accept one kind of animal meat but not another?
Such a stance is intellectually indefensible :-)

Dog meat , cat meat, squirrels, chipmunks etc. The only argument would be which is better, not which is moral.
Vegetarians have a defensible stance against all meat because they are consistent in their opposition to all animal meat (including, I hope, humans)

Horse meat is common in much of Europe.

Europeans are surprised that Americans are against it.

This is really a question of acculturation rather than principle.

If one grows up eating horse one will see nothing wrong with it.

One of the pleasures in life is stepping outside of one's culture and experiencing new things.

Having said that , I'm still not sure I would want to eat live monkey brains as they do in parts of Asia.

OK , call me close minded, but , live monkey brains?

I have eaten fried grasshoppers and chocolate coverd ants , however. mmmmmmmmmmm.....................yummy :-)

lonewolfny42

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2007, 12:47 am »
There is a show on cable tv, on the Discovery Channel, where the host eats many different meats from around the world. Common to the locals, strange to others...its called Bizarre Foods... I tuned in one night, and they were roasting Guinea pigs....forgot the country... somewhere in South America...:scratch:

tomjtx

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2007, 12:54 am »
Cool Link, thanks Lonewolf

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2007, 01:15 am »
...... :thumb:

tomjtx....Two questions....how did it taste ? And how was it cooked ? In sauce, roasted, grilled ? Thanks..... :D

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2007, 01:20 am »
There is a show on cable tv, on the Discovery Channel, where the host eats many different meats from around the world. Common to the locals, strange to others...its called Bizarre Foods... I tuned in one night, and they were roasting Guinea pigs....forgot the country... somewhere in South America...:scratch:

New Guinea maybe???? :scratch:

Sorry just cruising through and couldn't resist  aa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2007, 01:35 am »

New Guinea maybe???? :scratch:

Sorry just cruising through and couldn't resist  aa
I checked the site....he was eating Guinea pigs in Ecuador.

boead

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2007, 02:14 am »
lamb fries  :icon_lol:

chadh

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2007, 03:05 am »

The two most prominent animals on the Australian coat of arms are the kangaroo and the emu.  Both are farmed for food.  I think this gives Australia a pretty unique claim to fame:  the only country that eats its national animal symbols.  If Benjamin Franklin had had his way, of course, Americans would be eating their own national animal symbol too: he thought the turkey was more deserving of the honored position than the ignoble bald eagle, since the eagle is a dirty scavenger.

I think that kangaroo and horse probably share some qualities when aspiring to the role of marketable meat.  They both strike me as muscular and relatively active animals, which would probably make it difficult to farm them and would tend to make their meat rather tough.  Kangaroo has a reputation for requiring quite a delicate touch from the cook, and so, while professionals make their mark as fine kangaroo chefs, kangaroo may not prove so attractive for most ordinary cooks.  It seems likely that horse might share this characteristic.

To make horse meat viable, they would need to do some clever marketing work.  Notice, nobody eats cow or pig.  We eat beef and pork.  So the first issue to address is a new name for horse meat so that people don't think of it as, well, horse meat.  I think a significant part of peoples' aversion to horse meat comes from the preconception that horse meat is awful - after all, you would only eat a horse after it had outlived its useful working life, and so was old and tough and sinewey.  At that point, you could eat the old horse, or send it off to the glue factory.  The reality is probably be that one would eat only fresh young horse, or course, but you probably don't want people thinking about that either.

I was thinking along the lines of "equus" as a name.  But remembering beef, veal, lamb and pork are all single syllabled, maybe sticking with one syllable would be best.  Then I thought that "meaq" might work, indicating equine meat.  I think it would be much easier to walk into a swanky restaurant and order a 16 oz meaq sirloin than to ask for a 16 oz horse steak.

Chad

boead

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2007, 03:21 am »

viande chevaline

tomjtx

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2007, 03:24 am »
Lonewolf,

If I didn't know it was horse I would have assumed it was veal, possibly. Except it was sliced in cubes rather than thin strips.

Lighter than beef.

It was cooked in a wine sauce similar to marsala.

jules

« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2007, 03:29 am »
lamb fries boead?

that looks to me a little like scallops on black pudding ... a very clever combination but it does raise the issue of eating blood.

I've got a rather interesting cookery book based on Zoo animals. It was put together in wartime London [1st.] when a certain amount of cost cutting went on.

jules

tomjtx

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2007, 03:36 am »
Raise the issue of eating blood?

What issue?

I drink blood every night when on my nocturnal strolls (can't go out in the sun...........it's a medical condition)

Blood works for me every time

PhishPhan

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2007, 03:52 am »
I think that kangaroo and horse probably share some qualities when aspiring to the role of marketable meat.  They both strike me as muscular and relatively active animals, which would probably make it difficult to farm them and would tend to make their meat rather tough. 

On that note, has any one tried sloth meat? I bet it's nice and tender. Mmmmm, sloth. :lol:

jules

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2007, 04:03 am »
Captain L. C. Cameron wrote ...

"Stuffed with a simple stuffing made of sweet breadcrumbs, a sprinkling of sweet herbs and a little pepper and salt, mixed with the liver and heart of the rat, and roasted for a few minutes [ :o] in a hot oven, it proved to be a delicious dish not unlike snipe in flavour. Young rats may also be made into pies, if meat stock, Bovril or a small piece of beef be added to provide gravy"

jules

Cacophonix

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2007, 05:06 am »
Having said that , I'm still not sure I would want to eat live monkey brains as they do in parts of Asia.

OK , call me close minded, but , live monkey brains?

live monkey brains????????
And to think i was totally grossed out when i saw live fish being fed to customers. I mean, fish is taken from the tank, gutted, half dipped in hot oil, and served in a plate. Remember, the fish is still alive all through this process.
I try hard to keep an open mind about most things ... but when i see such things  :o :o

Watson

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2007, 06:28 am »
Live monkey brains are an urban legend.

On the other hand, monkey brains are sometimes (rarely, really) consumed in China.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2007, 06:35 am »
Live monkey brains are an urban legend.

On the other hand, monkey brains are sometimes (rarely, really) consumed in China.

http://www.maxent.org/ch/monkey_brains.html