My New Toy

Charles Xavier

My New Toy
« on: 30 Apr 2016, 07:15 pm »

Saw a BGE being demoed but didn't want to spend the extra cash so I picked up the Vision Pro S. I was always curious about Kamado grills and never had food off of one and it was great.

Charles Xavier

Re: My New Toy
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2016, 07:20 pm »
Sorry for the sideways picture it is straight on my PC

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2016, 09:40 pm »
Very nice  :thumb:.  I've been using a home made smoker/grill made out of the end of a 40" propane bottle, and after decades of use, I've got it down fairly well, but the control offered by the BGE and other various smokers are awfully appealing. 
Now, get some meat on that thing and show us the pictures!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2016, 09:59 pm »
Welcome to the smokers club.  :wink:

Might enjoy these folks: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

JoshK

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2016, 10:45 pm »
I LOVE my BGE.  So many great options for making awesome yumminess.   On a suggestion from my mom, I got an Instant Pot (pressure cooker).   I've been experimenting with it but with a pork shoulder, I first cook a ~4lb shoulder for 75 minutes in the pressure cooker and it cuts down the smoking (low and slow) to about 2-3 hours instead of 12.   Just a tip.  Also it tends to be a lot moister.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2016, 10:58 pm »
I LOVE my BGE.  So many great options for making awesome yumminess.   On a suggestion from my mom, I got an Instant Pot (pressure cooker).   I've been experimenting with it but with a pork shoulder, I first cook a ~4lb shoulder for 75 minutes in the pressure cooker and it cuts down the smoking (low and slow) to about 2-3 hours instead of 12.   Just a tip.  Also it tends to be a lot moister.

The instant pot is awesome.  You don't reverse this?  That is, smoke first then use the instant pot afterward?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2016, 08:55 am »
Welcome to the smokers club.  :wink:

Might enjoy these folks: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

Bob I'm on that forum because you told me about it a few years ago

Charles Xavier

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2016, 09:02 am »

Very nice  :thumb:.  I've been using a home made smoker/grill made out of the end of a 40" propane bottle, and after decades of use, I've got it down fairly well, but the control offered by the BGE and other various smokers are awfully appealing. 
Now, get some meat on that thing and show us the pictures!

Grilled some Pork Tenderloins, heat control was pretty simple. And just 1 more thing. Everyone including myself has been knocking Cowboy hardwood lump for years well I think the company heard everyone because I picked up a bag at 1 of the big box stores and I couldn't believe that it was all real wood inside, no scraps, nails, molding, rocks, etc...

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2016, 10:37 am »
That's interesting that the inner firebox has a split in it.  On my Grill Dome, I've broken that firebox several times. It seems to fail after a while.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2016, 10:47 am »
That's interesting that the inner firebox has a split in it.  On my Grill Dome, I've broken that firebox several times. It seems to fail after a while.

I was reading up on the split and it's for expansion and contraction  to prevent cracking. I was checking some YouTube videos on the Vision grill and it had older designs of the same model that looked like they were made like crap. Vision seems to have redesigned it and compared to what I saw they really upped their game on quality. I can't wait to smoke a brisket on this and see how it fairs against my Masterbuilt smoker which has always given me great brisket and ribs. Now all I need is a bigger back yard

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2016, 02:08 pm »
Bob I'm on that forum because you told me about it a few years ago
Whoops, sorry.  :oops:

goskers

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2016, 02:20 pm »
I ended up getting a good deal on a Kamado Joe Classic 4 years ago.  I have been pretty pleased with it.  As much as I wanted a BGE I didn't want to pay the premium price.

When I started smoking I picked up a bbqguru digiq dx2 after the first time.  An auto fire system is a must if you ask me.  It allows you to sleep without worry while providing consistency. 

Rock wood is the best lump that I had used.  You can find a couple of places online that ship free over $99.  I went ahead and took the risk ordering 100lb worth.  Am glad I did as it burns slightly hotter and definitely longer than all others I tried.

Will do some checking into the pressure cooker trick.  Haven't heard of that one before.

mcgsxr

« Reply #12 on: 1 May 2016, 02:27 pm »
Those ceramic barrel type grills do seem excellent.  I have looked at them a few times.

Still using the combo of my 11 year old Naploleon natural gas, and my 3 year old Weber kettle for the various meals I create. 

Hot smoked (ie adding a smoke pouch to a charcoal cook vs actual smoking) a whole chicken yesterday.  That has taken over as THE long weekend meal vs steak here.  The whole family seems to prefer the bird.

Was not a long weekend this time, just ensuring I have the process nailed for later in May!

Have fun with your new toy.   :thumb:

JoshK

« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2016, 09:53 pm »
The instant pot is awesome.  You don't reverse this?  That is, smoke first then use the instant pot afterward?

My friend and I were debating which way to go.  I sort of like pressure cooking first then smoking later as a heavy amount of sugar based sauce can be added at the smoking stage to incur the bark.   Haven't reversed it yet. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 1 Jun 2016, 02:50 am »
I'd love to have a komodo-style cooker.  Most of the time I'm cooking at work, though. :duh: