Anything special this New Years Eve?

SoCalWJS

Anything special this New Years Eve?
« on: 31 Dec 2015, 06:32 pm »
We're staying home. I think we'll be OK.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Anything special this New Years Eve?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2016, 06:02 am »
I just got done cooking about 120 steaks (among other things) tonite! :lol:  Occupational hazard, I'm the Exec Chef of a place in MN.  Very busy!  It went very well though. 8)

spudco

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2016, 03:38 pm »
Clementine Cake - Modified from a Nigella Lawson recipe so I had lots of unclean thoughts while making this desert.

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2016, 04:35 pm »
Pulled pork (according to PA tradition, you're supposed to eat pork on new year's and not chicken; if you eat chicken, you'll scratch all year) from here:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Started 10 pound butt last night around 11:15 pm and took it off at 203 degrees at 10:15 am. 

Currently making sourdough slider buns with einkorn wheat (an ancient grain) from this book:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Einkorn-Cookbook-Nutrient-Rich-Non-Hybridized/dp/1592336426

Their artisan sourdough bread is great, but you have to plan for that three days in advance (1.5 days for the starter, 12 hours for the "preferment", and one day for the bread to rise in the fridge).  I didn't think about this until too late.  '

Also didn't think about a sauce or any sides!  Doh!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm »
Also didn't think about a sauce ....Doh!
If it was yummy, then you did it right. Good pulled pork doesn't "need" sauce.  :wink:

Syrah

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2016, 01:15 am »
Happy new years guys!

I didn't have much of a new years, but I made two culinary discoveries.

1. Ghee is totally the way to cook steak.  Ultra hot with no bitter burnt flavors. Why did I wait so long to try this?

2. Pressure frying.  Once I did it, it was not nearly as dangerous as I had perceived.  I used a portable induction burner - to make sure I kept the heat well managed - with a Magefessa pressure cooker.  Best.  Fried.  Chicken.  Ever.