Good Long Chef's Knife

Syrah

Good Long Chef's Knife
« on: 17 Sep 2015, 11:12 pm »
So I kinda feel like a new knife.

I've had my eye on the Masamoto VG-10, 9.4".

I figured I would get some final thoughts here before pulling the trigger.

I have a full set of Global knives and a Shun Classic (which I prefer).  I don't like the Global handles, they are too small and I find them very slippery when my hands are wet - or even moist.  Also, the Global blades get pretty sharp but I don't think they hold the blade very well.  The Shun I like better.

I'd like to add a long chef's knife.  Open to suggestions in this price range.

Thanks!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Good Long Chef's Knife
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm »
I recommend a HAP-40 steel. Almost as stainless as SG-10, but soooo much tougher and harder.  My 150mm petty puts my blue #1 Aogami blades to shame.  Even sharpened at 12.5 degrees the edges outlast anything else in the kitchen.  But be advised it take more effort to sharpen.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohagy24.html

cab

« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2015, 02:17 am »
Second the HAP40 rec....Picked up 3 of them while I was in Japan this summer....nice!

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2015, 12:53 pm »
Done.  Thanks guys!

S Clark

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2015, 04:56 pm »
Let us know what you think about them after you've had them for a month or so. 

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2015, 05:44 pm »
You might look at a Gyuto.

Japanese version of a western chef's knife.

V..

asliarun

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2015, 07:56 pm »
I have the Richmond Artifex 240mm (9.5"), and absolutely love it. AEBL Swedish surgical steel, is stainless but behaves like carbon. Blade is thin, light, very well balanced. Despite the size, you can do precision work.

I found it significantly better than my Tojiro DP vg10, and a Henckels and a Sabatier i have.

It is the opposite of a heavier thicker knife one normally finds. And it is a gyuto.

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2015, 08:09 pm »
I have the Richmond Artifex 240mm (9.5"), and absolutely love it. AEBL Swedish surgical steel, is stainless but behaves like carbon. Blade is thin, light, very well balanced. Despite the size, you can do precision work.

I found it significantly better than my Tojiro DP vg10, and a Henckels and a Sabatier i have.

It is the opposite of a heavier thicker knife one normally finds. And it is a gyuto.
I have one as well. Great knife for the price.  Super light weight.  I would imagine it would be a nice, basic knife for doing line work.  Good steel. I agree that I like the AEBL better than the VG10 in my Shuns and Globals. For $70-100 they are true values.

bearman2

« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2015, 08:59 pm »
I have two Henckels, one 8 and one 12, and they are great but they are over 30 years old. Maybe they made steel a little better then.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2015, 10:22 pm »
I have two Henckels, one 8 and one 12, and they are great but they are over 30 years old. Maybe they made steel a little better then.

They used simple high carbon steel, with proper heat treatment. There is nothing better. There is a lot of hype in the knife industry about complex steels, Demascus steels and such. But, properly heat treated, high carbon steel is best. The result is more consistent/reliable quality product.

V..

S Clark

« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm »
German steel had its day, much like Toledo and Newcastle before it.  But the days of Krupp or Thyssen being at the cutting edge ( I amuse myself  :lol:) is decades or centuries in the past.  The Japanese and the Scandinavians are among the best today.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2015, 05:12 am »
I think you'll be very happy with the Richmond in HAP40. :thumb:  AEB-L is superb for a true stainless but the edge retention of HAP40 is off the charts.  VG-10 isn't bad by any means but it's yesterday's Super-Steel, surpassed in every way by the newer crop of SS and near-SS tool steels.  VG-10 does suck to sharpen once you get used to HAP40, M390, AEB-L and SRS-15.

Syrah

« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2015, 01:44 am »
I'm only a few days with it, but I'm loving my Kohetsu HAP-40 knife.  I now have a new favorite knife.  I love the handle, because it's your basic old school Henkels type handle.  It's the right size and fits my hand very well.  The weight is perfect for me.  And the blade is (so far without its first sharpening) crazy sharp.  I had my wife cutting parmessan with it the other night, just sailed through it.

Thanks guys!  Great tip.  I'm glad I checked here first, knowing that there are some very knowledgeable knife enthusiasts.

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2015, 02:15 am »
You'll find that the edge retention is about as good as it gets.  When you do decide it's time to sharpen, Hap40 will take a finer angle and hold the edge... if you decide to go in for a stupid sharp edge. 

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2015, 06:34 am »
Does anyone have any first hand experience with Bob Kramer knives? I understand he was the first US Master Bladesmith to make kitchen knives.
http://kramerknives.com/gallery/

His personal history is one of choosing a path and sticking to it and worth a read.
http://kramerknives.com/story/

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2015, 07:02 am »
I think you'll be very happy with the Richmond in HAP40. :thumb:  AEB-L is superb for a true stainless but the edge retention of HAP40 is off the charts. VG-10 isn't bad by any means but it's yesterday's Super-Steel, surpassed in every way by the newer crop of SS and near-SS tool steels.  VG-10 does suck to sharpen once you get used to HAP40, M390, AEB-L and SRS-15.

Yesterday's Super-Steel, must not have been so Super.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2015, 07:30 am »
Does anyone have any first hand experience with Bob Kramer knives? I understand he was the first US Master Bladesmith to make kitchen knives.
http://kramerknives.com/gallery/

His personal history is one of choosing a path and sticking to it and worth a read.
http://kramerknives.com/story/

Bob makes good knives. And he uses only high carbon steel, which is the foundation of a good knife.
But, "the first to make kitchen knives", is a bit of a stretch.

V...

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2015, 07:53 am »

But, "the first to make kitchen knives", is a bit of a stretch.

V...

How is this a stretch? Do you know of a Master Bladesmith making kitchen knives earlier than Bob? I was quoting from his website, but could not find the quote just now in a quick search.

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2015, 04:31 pm »
Ordered one of these during their Kickstarter campaign :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/misenkitchen/misen-cook-sharp

After reading this review:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/best-cheap-chefs-knives-misen-equipment-review.html

Will report back when it arrives

S Clark

« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2015, 04:35 pm »
I'd be curious (but not $5K curious!) to know how the work of an American "Master Bladesmith" compares to the Japanese.  The experience of forged Damascus in the US really only got its start in 1973, when a respected knife maker showed a few at a knife show and passed out pamphlets on how he did it.