Steak Tartare

GentleBender

Steak Tartare
« on: 12 Sep 2015, 12:34 pm »
I know this is not everybody's cup of tea, but I love a good steak tartare. I'm left drooling after reading this recipe. :drool: http://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/how-to-make-steak-tartare-beef-tartare-recipe-potato-chips-cheese

I have to make this soon, real soon.

rodge827

Re: Steak Tartare
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2015, 03:41 pm »
Oh yeah!
Nom nom nom...
Please let us know your findings...been a while since I have had steak tartare.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2015, 06:32 pm »
Looks great to me except for the potato chips (but I'm sure they add some crunchiness).  I've rarely had steak tartar.  I do see it every once in a great while on a restaurant's menu.  I think they're afraid to serve it, though, since it's uncooked. 

Syrah

« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2015, 11:06 pm »
I prefer a simple classic steak tartar.  I also prefer it the French way when most of the other stuff is on the side rather than all mixed in.

GentleBender

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2015, 01:16 pm »
Looks great to me except for the potato chips (but I'm sure they add some crunchiness).  I've rarely had steak tartar.  I do see it every once in a great while on a restaurant's menu.  I think they're afraid to serve it, though, since it's uncooked. 
I was hoping to make time to do this last weekend, but ended up have a couple friends over to listen to records and sip on some good rum. I will try the potato chips to see how they add to the experience. I wouldn't trust most restaurants to serve steak tartare... :nono:

I prefer a simple classic steak tartar.  I also prefer it the French way when most of the other stuff is on the side rather than all mixed in.
Do you have a recipe for that? I love trying new stuff and if I am making the above recipe, might as well make another if it is simple enough.

GentleBender

« Reply #5 on: 3 Oct 2015, 11:34 am »
Finally made this and it was DELICIOUS! The potato chips added a great flavor and crunchy texture. I split it into two separate portions before adding the chips to see if I would like it better with or without the chips. The portion with the chips won hands down for me. Make sure to use the kettle cooked chips like the recipe calls for so that they stay crunchy.

I used Lay's Kettle cooked Medley with three different kinds of potatoes and they are so good and actually pretty with the three different colors of potatoes. Then I added Lay's Kettle cooked Wasabi Ginger to the batch without chips and ate the whole 1/2+ lb of Steak Tartare for lunch. I look forward to making this again!

Syrah

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2015, 03:59 pm »
You're making me hungry.

I do something simple like this - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/classic-steak-tartare

In France all of the things that go into it are often served on the side, so it's like build your own, with the egg yolk usually not mixed in just sitting on top.

To the chopped steak, I might just add some olive oil (which gives it a nice mouth feel, texture and look) and salt.