125 HZ Suckout

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: 125 HZ Suckout
« Reply #40 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:45 am »
OK, so I set the meter 1' from, and level with, the main driver and measured. All frequencies I measured between 50 Hz and I think I got as high as 1,000 Hz were within 1db on the meter. Although as I got higher in frequency, where I stood affected the reading a bit. IOW it doesn't appear to me to be the speakers.

I'm still tweaking the speaker placement in the diagonal setup. It's actually pretty tricky to get the speakers set in the right spot because my room is not square so I can't really measure off the walls. I need to measure off the imaginary center line that crosses in front of the listener. My head right now is over 4' from the back corner and the speakers are out into the room more than shown in Doug's sketch #1.

Doug s - Did you just drop the 2 speaker blocks randomly on the drawing to show a general idea for placement, or is there some formula/guideline? To give you an idea where I'm at - My left speaker is pretty close to where the "R" speaker is on the Sketch #1, and my chair is farther back towards the corner (about where the "L" is for the Left speaker).
Thanks for sticking with me guys.

neeko - I'll get the big speakers up there soon.
i did not use any special formula; i was simply trying to get a nice triangle-based listening situation between chair and speakers, that allowed for decent space behind the listening spot.  if your left speaker and chair are where you say, then i assume the right speaker is now not on top of the old "chair" position, but moved up, so it's closer to the left speaker, as the left speaker has moved?

and another thing regarding being out from the walls - while room/wall treatment is still necessary in such a small room, imo, the beauty of the angular layout is that, besides the listening position not being backed against a wall, you can get away w/the speakers being a bit closer to the walls, because the walls outside the speakers fall away from the speakers more than the normal layout.  and the walls inside the speakers are doing the same, as opposed to having the speakers close to a normal back wall...

also, didja try opening the closet doors when listening?    (i assume they're some sorta accordion-type door, and not two simple swing-out doors)

doug s.

sebrof

« Reply #41 on: 23 Sep 2011, 03:22 am »
i did not use any special formula; i was simply trying to get a nice triangle-based listening situation between chair and speakers, that allowed for decent space behind the listening spot.  if your left speaker and chair are where you say, then i assume the right speaker is now not on top of the old "chair" position, but moved up, so it's closer to the left speaker, as the left speaker has moved?

and another thing regarding being out from the walls - while room/wall treatment is still necessary in such a small room, imo, the beauty of the angular layout is that, besides the listening position not being backed against a wall, you can get away w/the speakers being a bit closer to the walls, because the walls outside the speakers fall away from the speakers more than the normal layout.  and the walls inside the speakers are doing the same, as opposed to having the speakers close to a normal back wall...

also, didja try opening the closet doors when listening?    (i assume they're some sorta accordion-type door, and not two simple swing-out doors)

doug s.
Yes, the speakers are in an EQ triangle with me. It just seems a little "off" trying to position them. With a normal setup it's a little more straightforward, a triangle within a square. Now it's a triangle within a diamond that's not quite a proper diamond.

re: the closet doors - They are 2 normal size doors that swing into the room, so not practical to open them. Don't think I haven't thought about popping them off their hinges a few times, though.

I did reposition earlier today and the speakers are closer to the walls, more towards either side of the rack as opposed to being in the middle of the room. I think I'm getting close. Whereas before I listened and made myself not move the speakers to see if I could get used to it, with this most recent change it really does sound very good. I'm thinking there's a 50/50 chance I'll keep it like this for a while.

sebrof

« Reply #42 on: 27 Sep 2011, 06:45 pm »
I did reposition earlier today and the speakers are closer to the walls, more towards either side of the rack as opposed to being in the middle of the room. I think I'm getting close. Whereas before I listened and made myself not move the speakers to see if I could get used to it, with this most recent change it really does sound very good. I'm thinking there's a 50/50 chance I'll keep it like this for a while.
OK just to follow up: I still have the room set up diagonally and I'm really liking it. I'll keep it this way for the forseeable future. There's a lot to be said for going diagonal in a small room since it really does seem to help minimize the effects the room has on the music.
Not sure if the room still measures the same, one of these days I'll measure diagonally. I'll also get another pair of speakers in there at some point.

Æ

« Reply #43 on: 27 Sep 2011, 08:07 pm »
I only quickly browsed through all the replies. Has anyone mentioned the possibility of floor bounce cancellation yet?
GIF is from Siegfried Linkwitz's website.