Acoustician

LP1

Acoustician
« on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:41 pm »
I am seeking recommendations for an experienced, but reasonably priced acoustician who can come to my home and measure my listening room. I live in New Jersey. Thanks.

Glenn Kuras

• Industry Contributor
Re: Acoustician
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:43 pm »
Have you tried the following program to test the room??
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/
You could always try that then send pictures and diagrams to the company you plan on buying product from and they can help you with your set up. Most good acoustic companies provide that service for free.

Glenn Kuras
GIK Acoustics
www.gikacoustics.com

Nyal Mellor

• Industry Participant
  • Founder - Acoustic Frontiers.
    • Acoustic Frontiers
« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 09:15 pm »
You could try finding a Level II from the Home Acoustics Alliance www.homeacoustics.net

You could also try measuring your room yourself using Room EQ Wizard or for an all in one solution XTZ Room Analyzer

raindance

« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2010, 10:49 pm »
What are the room dimensions? Anything odd about the shape? What are you trying to achieve?

LP1

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:35 pm »
Thank you all for the responses. After a long and arduous renovation, I now have a dedicated listening room in my basement. I recently received my Daedalus Ulysses, which has now prompted me to focus on my room's acoustics. I think the best way to solicit meaningful advice from this forum would be to post some pics and dimensions of my room. As you will see, posting pictures alone will be a challenge for me, so measuring the room myself is likely a non-starter :). I will try to post the pics this evening.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:27 pm »
As you will see, posting pictures alone will be a challenge for me, so measuring the room myself is likely a non-starter :). I will try to post the pics this evening.

In most cases it is not necessary to measure a room to know how to treat it. So post some photos and we'll all be able to comment. Note that a few distant photos is best, to see everything in context. Versus close-ups of speakers and windows etc that are not so useful.

--Ethan

LP1

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:38 am »
Here are some pictures of my room. The dimensions of the alcove behind the speakers is approximately 14ftW x 10ftD. The room is approximately 31ft long and 18ft at its widest with 9.5ft ceilings. I look forward to your advice.

jriggy

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2010, 02:52 pm »
 :o

Oh boy, do I wish I had my Ulysses in THAT room!  Once treated, you are going to be having ALOT of fun!

Do you plan on using the stands and iso bases for em? I tried mine with and with out the stands (iso base always in place) and ended up going with the the stands in place as well.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:24 pm »
While there are certainly some things that are givens in terms of treatment regardless of measurements, they can be very helpful in finding the best seating and speaker positions for the smoothest response (and fewest deep, nasty peaks and nulls that are hard to treat).

Measurements along the way can also help with balancing decay times in the room so you're not overdoing one area at the expense of another in terms of decay times, etc.

Bryan

LP1

« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2010, 03:32 pm »
Thanks. I plan on using both the plinth and stand, but won't receive them until next week. I'm told they make a notable difference. Do you use spikes between the stands and floor? In the meantime, I've been breaking in the speakers 24/7 and am focusing on room acoustics.

jriggy

« Reply #10 on: 18 Nov 2010, 04:15 pm »
I plan on using spikes. I have actually had these suckers shimmed up for about 3 months now  :oops:
My bases need a slight adjustment to be able to take the spike leveling that I need. I am thinking of just going with some out riggers instead of fixing the stands...