World's Best CD Player?

Delacroix

Re: World's Best CD Player?
« Reply #80 on: 16 Nov 2010, 03:06 am »
Bon soir Éric,

Bienvenu au cercle du VSA! C'est bon d'avoir des membres de France et de l'Europe ici, (eh Cor?)

I think Eric is telling us that he's had this player for a while and it compares favorably with many other top-quality players he has heard. However, the taxes on importing might make it comparatively expensive here though people who buy it will enjoy it still.  Or something like that (with apologies in advance for my rusty French)

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #81 on: 16 Nov 2010, 07:48 am »
Well, well, mr. Delacroix,

I knew you were good in this language since french is in your name.

Although my french is not that good I agree with your translation.
I know Didier de Luca, designer of the EERA Redbookplayers, for more than 15 years now as a designer of High Quality DAC's.
His goal is to design the most subtile and musical way of conversion to bring back the recorded music a live. We spend several hours, with a nice glass of wine of course, discussing 'the way to walk on'. Every time Didier worked out these thoughts he surprized me with the result. The Tentation is bringing back the music in reality at very high level. Our friends who visited the RMAF all were surprized by the musical sound of the VR 35 Export Deluxe.

Remember, reproduced music from (often native 16bit) will sound at best level translated by the EERA CD players. The Tentation was thus a very important chain in the Virtual Reality Music-System in Denver.

By the way,I also noticed that inhabitants of a country, using 110V are 'very advanced' due to the subtility of the powersupply making the music even smoother.

About the pricing: The EERA is fully handcrafted in Marseille France.
As Eric explains there are some costs to calculate to bring the white boxes to the USA.

So if you are looking for a Red bookplayer at high level, the EERA is worth every penny of it.
We in Europe might enjoy a lower pricing but you in the US get more music out of the EERA due to the powersupply at 110V.

Have fun,

Cor

First thing I will discover is the effect of a transformer who downsize the 230 voltage into 110 and listen to the AB results. This will probably take some time since I am very bussy these days.

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
« Reply #82 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:15 am »
I agree with our newest member, Eric from France, that the currency exchange, air transport, and taxes have unproportionately raised the price of the Eera Tentation when sold in the US, since it is hand made in very limited quantities.  It is not a factory-made product with robotic assembly, it is a hand-made "designer" unit built for a single purpose - to enable digital recordings to sound like analog - there are no digital artifacts like two-dimensional imaging or digital harshness with forced bright detail, it is extremely subtle and musical.  Does it look like a Japanese tank like the great- looking Accuphase?  No.  That was not it's designers goal.

After auditioning quite a few "reference" players during the past six months, we still believe the Tentation sounds more like analog than any other CD player, at any price. The Tentation enables the "Redbook" standard to sound very similar to high resolution downloads in the detail and imaging departments, yet it has a smoother, richer sound quality combined with explosive dynamics.  Every other player we have tried seems to compress the dynamic range and also pushes the sound far behind the speakers.  The Tentation has a different perspective, and that is to bring the instruments into your room, so you can reach out and "touch" the musicians. All of the beta testors have indicated that the Tentation is THE most dynamic and exciting player they've heard.  Some of the beta testers will be writing their reviews on this forum soon, they have reached the 90-day break in mark - stay tuned for more customer reviews and comments.

To enable more audiophiles to experience this exceptional sound quality, we will offer the Tentation at a substantial discount when purchased through our Distribution Company directly.  Please email me at <albert@vonschweikert.com> to discuss the price if you have any interest in hearing or owning this player.

ericblas

« Reply #83 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:34 pm »
Les platines cd Eera sont très sensibles au support sur laquelle est posé, du fait de la mécanique gyropoint. Mr Didier de Lucas utilise les découplleurs de marque Aktina (voir le lien) http://www.aktyna.com/

Enfin comme toutes bonnes platines cd, les câbles de modulation et secteur ont aussi une très grande importance, sous peine de passer à côté de ces qualités sonore magnifique

ericblas

« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm by ericblas »

JackD201

« Reply #85 on: 3 Dec 2010, 08:05 am »
According to my translator widget, Eric is saying that the Eera players benefit from decouplers or vibration management devices. He mentions Didier uses the ones in the link provided. I also think he said that like a record player, CD players benefit from being placed on leveled surfaces, which makes perfect sense to me.

All my racks and amp stands are Critical Mass Systems PXKs with Black Platinum filters. All are meticulously leveled even the ones without turntables or players on them just because if you're going to assemble something, you might as well do it right.

I've not tried any other rack systems with the Tentation, as to date these are the second best rack systems I've heard next to the Black Diamonds (which I can't afford to upgrade to).

As such I'm already using a full direct coupling system so I can't comment on how much better the Tentation would be without one. YMMV as usual.

vr8

« Reply #86 on: 30 Dec 2010, 10:27 pm »
Just wanted to weigh in on the Temptation CD player discussion.  I've had my Temptation for about three weeks and have about two hundred hours of playing time in so far.  Out of the box there was a dramatic improvement over anything else I've had in my system. It's very smooth, but highs are airy and extended and the low end is tight and articulate.  The sound stage  is deep,wide, and stable.  The sound quality continues to improve over time, with discernible changes from week to week.  Again, this is the best sound I've ever heard from my system.  :D

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #87 on: 31 Dec 2010, 12:11 am »
Hello VR 8,

Glad you have the same experience.
We use the EERA Tentation for more than a year now and love every minute of it.
If you want even more, just connect the Harmonic Technology Photonlink to the Tentation and discover the improvement of musical sound.

Enjoy.

Happy new year.

Cor

triode4

« Reply #88 on: 6 Feb 2011, 02:13 am »
So does anyone know what the dac of the tentation uses? Processor chip wise? Output gain stage?

JackD201

« Reply #89 on: 7 Feb 2011, 01:32 am »
They aren't telling.

Looking at the spec sheet

http://www.eera.fr/en/eera_tentation.php

It would appear that the chipset is higher than 24/192 but that's about all I can get as far as the chipset.

Channel isolation figures suggest that they are using two of them for dual mono processing and not the usual single.

Power bandwidth figures suggests a fast, class A biased analog output stage. No tubes so obviously solid state. Probably some type of FET.

Rx8man

« Reply #90 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:14 am »
Has anyone heard of Neodio from France?

http://www.astrasuite.com/neodio.html

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #91 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:38 am »
No and I wonder if it will be at the RMAF this year?

WGH

« Reply #92 on: 30 Sep 2011, 12:47 am »
Looks like Bill Baker will have one:

Below is a list of the components that will be used in the Purity Audio Design room in conjunction with Von Schweikert Audio.

Room 522 - be sure to stop by

After the show, this thread will also be used for coverage and comments from AC members.

Preamplification - Purity Audio Design Ultra GT+ (pure silver autoformers)

Amplification -  Digital Amp Company Cherry Mono Ultra Amplifier
                     Purity Audio Design "Harmony" Mono Balanced Buffers

Loudspeakers - Von Schweikert Audio VR-44 (world debut)

Digital Source #1 - Eera Tentation CD Player

Digital Source #2 - M2Tech Young DAC
                          Purity Audio Design "Purity Power" Young DAC power supply
                          Purity Audio Design "Harmony" Stereo Balanced Buffer

Room Acoustics:  Jeff Hedback (Hedback Design) working with Acoustics Surfaces, Inc
                        Jeff did a  great job with our room last year making an average hotel room sound
                       great.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=99072.0

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #93 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:06 am »
Hey Wayne...Tentation yes...Neodio no.

WGH

« Reply #94 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:14 am »
Opps, wrong 'it'.  :o

mfsoa

« Reply #95 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:17 am »
WooHoo, Cherry Mono Ultras! Hope they impress as much as they're able to   (I use a Cherry Plus w/ my VR4JRs)

-Mike

mfsoa

« Reply #96 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:26 am »
What do we know about the VR-44s?
Any info leaked/released?

Thanks

-Mike

Rx8man

« Reply #97 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:33 am »
es347, thanks for the clarification about the Neodio.  It would be an interesting comparison between the two French players since they're both claiming analog/vinyl sound.

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #98 on: 30 Sep 2011, 02:35 pm »

Thanks

-Mike

Sony recently came out with the SS-AR1 which is similar to the VSA DB100 sans powered subs.  From what I gather the VR44 is similar to the DB100 but I wouldn't bet a paycheck on it.  Here's the Sony:
http://www.stereophile.com/content/sony-ss-ar1-loudspeaker

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #99 on: 30 Sep 2011, 03:52 pm »

Thanks

-Mike

Hi Mike,

What I know is that the VR 44 will be have its debut in Denver this month at the RMAF.

What I also know is that the VR 44 looks more close to the former DB 99.
A nice and small cabinet containing a lot of VR 4 and VR 5 technology.
Available in a so called active version like the DB 99 but also in a full passive version.
Active means there is a very inteligent and small built in amplifier to boost the 'low end' of the music.
So, very interesting for lovers of single ended tube amplifiers.

What I also know is that the first VR 44 available will travel all the way to Holland were we connect them to the KR tube amps and our own EERA Tentation.

Feel welcome in Denver or a little later in Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg or in Germany & France.

Cor
« Last Edit: 1 Oct 2011, 04:59 pm by ceedee »