« Reply #20 on: 3 May 2010, 02:06 pm »
glad you are enjoying them

break in time can always be a factor upfront
I would imagine ribbon tweeters less than domes though

my friends HT2 Tl's sounded real nice out of the box

another issue is source material or upline electronics
when you have such a defining and accurate speaker
you will hear any deficiencies

I had to tube roll and eventually change out my preamp (audio research LS2) after I picked up the salks
the pre made the sound a little bright/brittle on the top end

the salks will show every nuance of sonic bliss and equipment synergy
but also will not mask/color over flaws like lesser speakers

if tube rolling alone is getting you such great results - you are there

rbwalt

Re: Don't Buy these Speakers!
« Reply #21 on: 3 May 2010, 03:31 pm »
 salks use a ribbon for a tweeter and they tend to beam. they also do not intergrate well with piston drivers. other than that they are ok speakers. you did not mention what kind of cables you are using.

r.

srb

« Reply #22 on: 3 May 2010, 03:42 pm »
salks use a ribbon for a tweeter and they tend to beam. they also do not inte[r]grate well with piston drivers.

A blanket statement like that would lead one to believe that you have never owned properly designed speakers with ribbon tweeters and are simply repeating something you might have read.

However, I will relay that information to Aerial Acoustics, Legacy Audio, Piega, Selah Audio and Von Schweikert Audio who, among others, have some very highly regarded models that integrate ribbon tweeters with piston drivers.

Steve
« Last Edit: 3 May 2010, 07:46 pm by srb »

fsimms

« Reply #23 on: 3 May 2010, 04:42 pm »
salks use a ribbon for a tweeter and they tend to beam. they also do not intergrate well with piston drivers. other than that they are ok speakers. you did not mention what kind of cables you are using.

I guess he thought this was started as a thread for knocking Salk speakers!  :lol:

Bob

martyo

« Reply #24 on: 3 May 2010, 05:03 pm »

[/quote]

A blanket statement like that would lead one to believe that you have never owned properly designed speakers with ribbon tweeters and are simply repeating something you might have read.

However, I will relay that information to Aerial Acoustics, Legacy Audio, Piega, Selah Audio and Von Schweikert Audio, who among others, have some very highly regarded models that integrate ribbon tweeters with piston drivers.

Steve
As is the case with blanket statements, it's not accurate either.

fsimms

« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2010, 07:02 pm »

Here is the FR of one of the RAAL ribbons.  It shows dead flat response out to 17khz.  That is at 60 Degrees Horizontal!!!!   I am not sure you would call that beaming.  :lol:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/76347-ribbon-tweeter-distortion-2.html

Bob

martyo

« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2010, 07:52 pm »
Here is the FR of one of the RAAL ribbons.  It shows dead flat response out to 17khz.  That is at 60 Degrees Horizontal!!!!   I am not sure you would call that beaming.  :lol:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/76347-ribbon-tweeter-distortion-2.html

Bob
Sounds more like rhetoric from a speaker manufacturer that doesn't use ribbons.  8)