Ideas/products for covering a 57" rear projection HDTV during serious listening

vinyl_lady

Guys and gals,

I have a 57" rear projection HDTV that extends out about 25 inches. Rives Audio did an acoustic treatment design and there are 1/2 round and 1/4 round plywood difusers covered with Guilford of Maine fabric on each side of the TV. When I am listening to music, I cover the highly reflective face of the TV with an afgan throw. Sometimes I wonder if a little more deflection across the face of the TV might be a better solution. Here are a couple of pictures. There are more pictures in my gallery. Since the photos were taken, the speakers have been moved farther away from the side walls per Cardas calculator. Any ideas or suggestions for temporary treatment of the TV would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

AB

Company Store  - Down Comforter.

When watching not listening you curl up with it. Cozy.

:thumb:

evan1

this is what I do

vinyl_lady

this is what I do

thanks evan1.

Laura

P.S. Does Chris act as a bass trap in that position  :lol: :lol:

evan1

Only after a 6 Pack

DTB300

GIK or Real Traps can probably make a custom size 2" or 4" thick trap for you on a stand. 

I have tried a blanket, quilt, pillows, Auralex, etc. and the 2" Acoustical Cotton Trap I use in front of my TV was far better sounding IMO.

Vinyl-Addict

• Groovetracer - Products for Rega turntables.
Guys and gals,

I have a 57" rear projection HDTV that extends out about 25 inches. Rives Audio did an acoustic treatment design and there are 1/2 round and 1/4 round plywood difusers covered with Guilford of Maine fabric on each side of the TV. When I am listening to music, I cover the highly reflective face of the TV with an afgan throw. Sometimes I wonder if a little more deflection across the face of the TV might be a better solution. Here are a couple of pictures. There are more pictures in my gallery. Since the photos were taken, the speakers have been moved farther away from the side walls per Cardas calculator. Any ideas or suggestions for temporary treatment of the TV would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Laura

Laura, Several years ago before I had a dedicated listening room, I had this company make me a custom panel to fit my HDTV perfectly. It actually fit over the TV. The price was very reasonable too.
http://www.acousticsfirst.com/

jimdgoulding

Two GIK panels standing against your screen should do you right.  Cost will be around $100.00 and change.  Or, maybe what VA said.  Recommend black cause it disappears better.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 10:19 pm by jimdgoulding »

vinyl_lady

Thanks guys! I appreciate the suggestions. I am going to explore the possibility of having Acoustics First make something and compare that to a couple of GIK panels. Both of those appear to be reasonable solutions, reasonably priced.  :)

Laura

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
When I am listening to music, I cover the highly reflective face of the TV with an afgan throw. Sometimes I wonder if a little more deflection across the face of the TV might be a better solution.

I'm not sure what either would do since the TV is forward of the speakers and the speakers face away from that wall. What I can't see in any of your photos is the rest of the room, especially the rear. In my experience, absorption on the rear wall behind you is more important than on the front wall behind the speakers. In my own well-treated room, covering the large RPTV with absorption made no audible difference at all. Which makes sense given the way speakers radiate. More here:

Front Wall Absorption

--Ethan

McTwins

Hi
You could remove the TV. :D

vinyl_lady

When I am listening to music, I cover the highly reflective face of the TV with an afgan throw. Sometimes I wonder if a little more deflection across the face of the TV might be a better solution.

I'm not sure what either would do since the TV is forward of the speakers and the speakers face away from that wall. What I can't see in any of your photos is the rest of the room, especially the rear. In my experience, absorption on the rear wall behind you is more important than on the front wall behind the speakers. In my own well-treated room, covering the large RPTV with absorption made no audible difference at all. Which makes sense given the way speakers radiate. More here:

Front Wall Absorption

--Ethan

Thanks for your input Ethan and the link to the article. Very interesting and it certainly makes sense.

My TV extends out 25" from the wall behind the speakers and the front of the speakers are 71" forward of that wall so the front of the speakers is 46" in front of the TV. There is a large floor to ceiling book case filled with books, vinyl and some pictures and other nik-naks about 8 feet wide behind the couch. Here is a picture.

There are more pictures of my listening room showing all walls, ceiling and treatments in my gallery here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1834

Since I moved my speakers a little farther from the side walls, I am happy with the sound I am hearing--good bass extension, detail and slam; midrange and highs have clarity and there is a sense of air or space around the instruments. I sense a little deeper soundstage when the TV is covered with the throw or a blanket and was thinking that some absorption or diffusion in front of the TV when listening might enhance the listening experience.

Thanks again,

Laura

vinyl_lady

Hi
You could remove the TV. :D

That's exactly what Rives suggested when they began the design of the treatment package for the room. The TV was fairly new at the time and I had recieved a great deal on the price because rear projection TVs were being phased out in favor of flat panels that I told them to design around the TV. Thus the 1/2 round and 1/4 round plywood diffusers on each side of the TV and a shelf across the back of the TV to seal out any open cavity behind the TV.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Laura, instead of spending money on more room treatment, why don't you simply replace the TV with a wallmount plasma or LCD? Problem solved.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

vinyl_lady

Laura, instead of spending money on more room treatment, why don't you simply replace the TV with a wallmount plasma or LCD? Problem solved.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

True, but I have a stubborn streak in me and I got such a good deal on the TV. Plus, a panel or two might be couple hundred bucks at most and a large wallmount is 4 figures, but . . .  :tempted: I am in the market for a cartridge upgrade so I need to be a little budget conscious, but just a little. :)

Thanks Robin,

Laura

evan1

You need some nudging , only took me 7 years to decide

ctviggen

Front Wall Absorption

--Ethan

I hate to disagree with Ethan, but using two of Ethan's own thin panels on each side of my VMPS RM40s nearest my 57 inch RPTV improved imaging and realism quite a bit.  Now perhaps this had to do with effects other than reflections off the TV (such as diffraction around the edges of the speakers), but there was an improvement nonetheless:  take out the thin panels, and the imaging was muddied.

Ethan Winer

• Industry Participant
  • Audio expert
    • RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
using two of Ethan's own thin panels on each side of my VMPS RM40s nearest my 57 inch RPTV improved imaging and realism quite a bit.

Yeah, it depends on what other treatment is in the room. Again, my room (now) has 54 panels, so all other sources of ambience and reflection in the vicinity of the TV and speakers are well controlled. I also have carpet, plus absorbers at the ceiling reflection points.

--Ethan