Acoustics matter to musicians - not just audiophiles :-)

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
I was just watching a "Live At Abbey Road" episode on the Sundance channel that had Ben Harper playing a few songs; and wouldn't you know it, he spent some time talking about the acoustics of the Abbey Road studio. 

Ben talked about how Abbey Road sounded and that it gave back a "true sound" that made recording their something special.  He also did the clap hands test and said that it didn't have any slap echo.

Way to go Ben!   :thumb:

George

pjchappy

Re: Acoustics matter to musicians - not just audiophiles :-)
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2009, 01:20 am »
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/7504168/roger_waters

This reminded me of an article I read a few years back.  Do a page search for the short blurb about Fox Theater.  Great venue!  Been to several concerts there.

arthurs

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2009, 12:58 pm »
I was just watching a "Live At Abbey Road" episode on the Sundance channel that had Ben Harper playing a few songs; and wouldn't you know it, he spent some time talking about the acoustics of the Abbey Road studio. 

Ben talked about how Abbey Road sounded and that it gave back a "true sound" that made recording their something special.  He also did the clap hands test and said that it didn't have any slap echo.

Way to go Ben!   :thumb:

George

That was very cool....and the "Live at Abbey Road" series is excellent... :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2009, 01:34 pm »
Thursday night I heard NC Symphony playing Vivaldi 4 Seasons. A small chamber orchestra with 4 different violinists. Memorial Hall (1931) at UNC is has large wooden cylindrical diffusors covering walls and ceiling of the stage. The sound quality was sublime from front row center. I heard Hillary Hahn with piano accompaniment there a few months ago from the back row, still great sound.

Friday morning I took my kids to the same performance again at Meymandi Hall in Raleigh , the home venue of the NC Symphony, where we have season tickets. It is a modern hall designed by acoustic architect, or so it seems. The sound was bloated with reverb and smeared bass. Close miking of soloists is essential for recording the radio rebroadcast, and occasionally reinforcement for the live audience is used, making the sound even worse.

We will be traveling to Chapel Hill for the concerts next year. It is worth the drive to be able to really hear the beauty of the music. Acoustics do matter!
Rich

wje

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2009, 01:35 pm »

...and the "Live at Abbey Road" series is excellent... :thumb:

With my current cable provider, I don't get the BBC station.   :duh: :evil:

I guess it's time I looked into FIOS and said adios to Comcast.