SST2 Expectations

1ZIP

SST2 Expectations
« on: 20 Mar 2009, 11:48 pm »
I just got back my 4B ST from repair today. :D  It has only been gone a couple of weeks but I had forgotten how great the Bryston setup (BCD-1, BP-26, 4B ST and Bryston ICs) really sounds!  I had planned on upgrading to an SST2.  But now I wonder, how much better is the SST2 then the ST?  If I did a side by side comparison what would I notice with the SST2.  Are the differences "day and night" or more subtle?  I've read that it sounds a little more "analogue", I assume that means more "tube like".  Not sure I like that, I listened to an all McIntosh setup and prefer the detail, tight bass and neutrality of the Bryston sound.  The only complaint I have is that the Bryston setup sounds a little harsh on horns (Jeff Oster, "True") as an example.  But that could be in part due to room acoustics I suppose.  So, is the SST2 going to send me to sonic nirvana! :)

danman

Re: SST2 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2009, 12:43 am »
Well, I will be able to answer you better in the next week or so as I will be receiving my 4B-SST2. I have my 4B-ST for sale right now on Canuck AudioMart but if it is not gone by then I will have something to directly compare it to.

For me it will be a win/win situation as I am driving big Martin Logan Quests that like lots of power and the SST series is more powerful and better able to handle the demand. I must say however, that if it does sound better (which I believe it definately will!) then the 4B-ST I have now, I will be thrilled to death as it already sound fantastic and I used to have YBA gear before.

If Bryston spends all that time and money upgrading an amp, you can count on it being worth the effort! I will give you the comparison tests results soon.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2009, 01:52 am »
I just got back my 4B ST from repair today. :D  It has only been gone a couple of weeks but I had forgotten how great the Bryston setup (BCD-1, BP-26, 4B ST and Bryston ICs) really sounds!  I had planned on upgrading to an SST2.  But now I wonder, how much better is the SST2 then the ST?  If I did a side by side comparison what would I notice with the SST2.  Are the differences "day and night" or more subtle?  I've read that it sounds a little more "analogue", I assume that means more "tube like".  Not sure I like that, I listened to an all McIntosh setup and prefer the detail, tight bass and neutrality of the Bryston sound.  The only complaint I have is that the Bryston setup sounds a little harsh on horns (Jeff Oster, "True") as an example.  But that could be in part due to room acoustics I suppose.  So, is the SST2 going to send me to sonic nirvana! :)

hi, 1ZIP!

what is a ''Bryston IC', please?'

thanx,

al.

danman

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:11 am »
I believe they are "interconnects" but not sure.

1ZIP

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:34 am »
Your right ICs = Interconnects

In a separate thread James convinced me that Bryston extended their philosophy of neutrality to their cables.  So I bought a set and from what I can tell so far he was correct.  By the way how long have you had your SST2 on order?

danman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:36 am »
Well, I have been talking to James for about a week now and officially it is as of today. I should have it next week some time.

1ZIP

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:39 am »
Wow, that's quick!  I'm looking forward to your comments on the SST2.

danman

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:41 am »
I am hoping to sell my ST! If you know of someone please tell me.

danman

« Reply #8 on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:42 am »

dubkarma

• "God made man because he loves stories." - Canetti
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2009, 10:49 pm »
I'm also waiting to take delivery on a new 4B-SST2 Pro with customized gain controls.

It'll power the HF in an a sort of overkill tri-amped system. For now, a 4B-ST Pro will handle the mids and an MC2 MC-750 the stereo subs. Preamp is a BP-26MC fitted by Bryston with the old BP-26-style faceplates and control knobs.

Presently using a DBX Driverack 260 as the electronic crossover. Once I'm certain I've got the crossover set up properly, I may enquire at Bryston about building a pair of custom 10B crossovers, but that'll be down the road....

Once I've played around with them for a while, I'll post my impressions of the ST compared to the SST2.

Happy listening all!