(Almost) Free Acoustical Tweak

sbrtoy

(Almost) Free Acoustical Tweak
« on: 13 Nov 2008, 04:56 pm »
With the long and wonderful autumn we had here in Colorado it was a shock to my system when about a week ago it started getting chilly at night. With this of course my furnace began to kick in and of course I started getting those wonderful electric shocks when touching door knobs etc.

I was listening to my system a few nights ago and just wasn't into it but couldn't put my finger on it, then it dawned on me that I hadn't yet fired up my trusty humidifier...I filled it up and let the room "soak", came back later and the sound was back to what I was familiar with.

I know everyone wants measurements of everything, but it doesn't take a huge leap of faith to believe that humid air and dry air are different animals and this can affect sound reproduction. (especially here in CO where dry means less than 10% humidity indoors) For those who do not have a humidifier in their rooms for winter I highly recommend it.  I haven't found one yet that is quiet enough to leave on during listening, but I leave it on all day then turn it off when I come in.  I have one I got for $25 from Target and it works well and even has adjustable humidity levels. 

As a bonus it keeps me from shocking the s&!$ out of myself when turning on my gear!

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: (Almost) Free Acoustical Tweak
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2008, 02:36 pm »
As a bonus it keeps me from shocking the s&!$ out of myself when turning on my gear!
I'm sure your gear appreciates it as well!!

Bob

drphoto

Re: (Almost) Free Acoustical Tweak
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2008, 02:43 pm »
The other bonus is that more humidity will make your rooms feel warmer, which means you can run the furnace less.....always a good thing in these days of high fuel cost and worries over emissions.